Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 4, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,006 of 4,588
I feel so lonely. Will anyone ever buy a BiFrost MB ever again????  
eek.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,007 of 4,588
eek.gif

Indeed. Schiit's vendors in Canada seem to be ditching the Bifrosts for the MB Modi. So I can either send my 4490 Bifrost for an upgrade, losing it for weeks and paying around $450 CND, Buy a new Bifrost MB on sale for $650 CND getting warranty and USB (bought mine used) or just buy the MB Modi for the low price of around $350.... People seem to find very little, if any sonic difference between the MB Modi and the MB Bifrost, but stacking with Valhalla 2, better PS and being able to upgrade...

Give the guys and gals at Schiit a ton of credit for doing what they do, but damn they've made it tough to make some choices. Certainly not complaining, but... damn 
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,008 of 4,588
I feel so lonely. Will anyone ever buy a BiFrost MB ever again????  :eek:

Schiit better have a balanced design and keep everything the same for Bimby to be compelling at that price point.

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,009 of 4,588
In my opinion, Mimby is a bang for the buck if u using a neutral/ detail or a little bit bright headphones. Such as HD800 or stax 407 507. The music is more realistic, and provide wonderful texture.
But if u using a dark headphones. I think a delta sigma dac is a wiser option. Like hd650 or lcd2. The sound stage is so narrow. Some of my friends tell me that some 9018dac or ak4490 dac is better than the mimby. And their headphone have this same dark sound sign. Even me prefer an odac or an aune x1s to mimby when im plug in my dt880. Cuz its make sound stage seem too thin. Of course when compare to a HD800.

I agree with this, based on one experience - my LCD2 rev 1. Hooked up to Yggy, it was disappointing compared to my other phones. Back into my office and D/S dac...lovely. Ironically, the dark LCD2r1 synergizes well with the sharpish treble edge from my PureDAC.

In another sense it's a pity, as indeed Schiit's multi-bit qualities of inner detail and texture, handling of transients, bass etc eats all my other DACs with speakers and other phones which include LCD 3F, HD 800 and Beyerdynamic T1.

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,011 of 4,588
eek.gif

The Bifrost Multibit is upgradable, the Modi Multibit isn't, the Bifrost has the better/onboard power supply and if I'm not mistaken has a better analog section.

Schiit Audio did an incredible job by bringing a true Multibit DAC to the masses at an unheard of price of $249 yet that doesn't diminish the overall sound quality and value of the Bifrost MB. If I owned a Bifrost Multibit I'd simply continue to enjoy my music and know that I can now recommend an even less expensive, great sounding DAC to my music-loving friends/family in the Modi MB. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #1,012 of 4,588
I've been following this thread closely, waiting for someone to chime in that may have an old Theta that they were able to compare it too. I'm considering the mimby because of the form factor. The Theta is extremely big and takes up a lot of space.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,013 of 4,588
I've been following this thread closely, waiting for someone to chime in that may have an old Theta that they were able to compare it too. I'm considering the mimby because of the form factor. The Theta is extremely big and takes up a lot of space.

I wish I had a Theta V! My search for one is what prompted me to buy an Yggdrasil as my FIRST Schiit purchase.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #1,015 of 4,588
  Anyone here left the dac on all the time? its so hot

I have mine on all the time. It's warm to the touch. My Valhalla 2, on the other-hand, is hot to the point of painful when I accidentally touch it with my forearm reaching for Modi Multibit.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,016 of 4,588
Hi, I just received my first DAC from schiit . After It arrived I immediately plugged in to my PC with fresh windows 10 installed. Then I downloaded this driver "W10 Gen 2 Drivers for Modi 2, Modi 2 Uber, Bifrost, and Gungnir" . As usual I ran it as admin then click next . Unfortunately it appeared like this pic below. I tried different short length usb cable or even audioquest's usb cable , pc ,laptop with fresh windows 10 installed and tried to plug every single usb port. The problem still there. Please help !!!

Ps. I tried to disable usb power saver and followed instructions on schiit's guide but it wont solve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #1,017 of 4,588
Hi, I just received my first DAC from schiit . After It arrived I immediately plugged in to my PC with fresh windows 10 installed. Then I downloaded this driver "W10 Gen 2 Drivers for Modi 2, Modi 2 Uber, Bifrost, and Gungnir" . As usual I ran it as admin then click next . Unfortunately it appeared like this pic below. I tried different short length usb cable or even audioquest's usb cable , pc ,laptop with fresh windows 10 installed and tried to plug every single usb port. The problem still there. Please help !!!

Ps. I tried to disable usb power saver and followed instructions on schiit's guide but it wont solve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see a photo...I think you forgot to attach. What happened to me when I switched out my Modi 2 Uber to Modi Multibit was, Windows defaulted my setup to use Realtek Digital Output as the default audio device, so naturally I wasn't getting any sound. I promptly switched it to "Speakers -Schiit USB Audio Gen" on the list and that did the trick. You can access the sound devices by right-clicking the volume icon on the Windows taskbar on the lower right corner, and select Playback Devices.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #1,018 of 4,588
Presently, I have the Mimby stacked on top of the Liquid Carbon (perfect fit dimension-wise) and both units got HOT to the point that I worry about shortened life span. I probably won't get burned by them (not as hot as tubes) but it will get uncomfortably hot after a few short seconds.

So I bought a surprisingly power USB fan last night with the aim of improving airflow (see photo below) and presto! The Mimby quickly grew cool to the touch (same temp as if it was switched off) while the Liquid Carbon was only slightly warm.

I think the reasons why my Mimby grew so hot were due to the LC heating it up from the bottom, the high ambient temperature of my room (28-30C), lack of air movement, and the natural heat output of the Mimby circuit.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #1,019 of 4,588
  Presently, I have the Mimby stacked on top of the Liquid Carbon (perfect fit dimension-wise) and both units got HOT to the point that I worry about shortened life span. I probably won't get burned by them (not as hot as tubes) but it will get uncomfortably hot after a few short seconds.

Another possibility is to stack the LC on top of the Mimby, with separators and maybe an additional support for the LC (which I think is longer than the Mimby). Like this.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,020 of 4,588
I think i should DIY some hole on the top to let the hot air out.

What USB module using in Mimby? is it good? One of my friend selling his Gustard U10 transport for 70$. Should i buy it or stick with usb (I can afford a Wyrd)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back