Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 3, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #976 of 4,588
"Audiophiles buy this stuff, therefore it must be valid" is one of the least compelling arguments you could make.

My point was, many many people notice a difference between USB and SPDIF. And while audiophiles are susceptible to placebo and upgraditis, many of them are not. Mike Moffat himself does not care for USB for a bloody good reason. USB and SPDIF do the same thing but are different delivery systems, so there is a difference. Saying there is no difference between USB and SPDIF is like saying there's no difference between DACs because "they do the same thing".

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #978 of 4,588
My point was, many many people notice a difference between USB and SPDIF. And while audiophiles are susceptible to placebo and upgraditis, many of them are not. Mike Moffat himself does not care for USB for a bloody good reason. USB and SPDIF do the same thing but are different delivery systems, so there is a difference. Saying there is no difference between USB and SPDIF is like saying there's no difference between DACs because "they do the same thing".

Compelling argument. Besides the clocks, which I believe the dac compensates for any issues there, and how much of a difference if any the clocks make is still up for debate, I believe the signal being sent is the same 0s and 1s before it goes into the filter. The only difference I can imagine between the three digital sources are; usb can control the dac directly and is susceptible to noise, coax does not control the DAC directly and is susceptible to noise, and optical does not control the dac and is not susceptible to noise.

I have used both optical and usb for extended periods and have noticed no difference between the two. I have no coax output on my motherboard or sound card so I can't compare it directly.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #980 of 4,588
People buy $46,000 dacs too. Does it mean it sounds better?

People buy a lot of things for psychological reasons. It's called the placebo effect.

Speaking of alternative medicine....

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #981 of 4,588
My point was..

Maybe it was, but you rather forgot to make it 
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #982 of 4,588
People buy a lot of things for psychological reasons. It's called the placebo effect.

The placebo effect is symmetrical:
Just as you could expect (consciously or not) there to be a difference so you do hear a difference,
so too you could expect (consciously or not) there not to be a difference so you do not hear a difference.

Do you invoke the placebo effect every time you do not hear a difference as well?

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #983 of 4,588
Just as you could expect (consciously or not) there to be a difference so you do hear a difference,
so too you could expect (consciously or not) there not to be a difference so you do not hear a difference.

Do you invoke the placebo effect every time you do not hear a difference as well?

Its also important to remember, more resolving gear is going to better detect differences.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #987 of 4,588

Looked for one to improve my overall listening experience (listening to everyone here) and it didn't cost much to buy an extra cable, did blind a/b/x, found no difference. I'm not making statements based off of psychological reasons like many do on this forum and it's saddening. Think about how many peoples' money is wasted on placebo effect influenced conclusions.

nothing to be found

No story here. Don't make it more than it is. If you have clean USB then spdif is no better, and many have stated it as well. 

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #989 of 4,588

USB via MacBook (Audirvana) = Meeeh sound lacks dynamics and detail, was regretting selling my Mojo.
Optical (Glass) via MacBook (Audirvana) = Here we go what a lovely dynamic smooth detailed open sound, glad I sold my now Mojo!

I still have mine- it can now do what it was designed for- mobile/travel audio, to pimp my IEMs and my easier to drive open-backed cans :)

Glad your new unit works, btw. Enjoy. BTW, if you do find yourself having a ports embarrassment, needing to run the Modi over USB from your Macbook for some reason, try doing it with the Macbook on battery- you may be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back