Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 2, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #946 of 4,588
I haven't had much luck with JRiver 22 using the mimby. In fact I went back to Winamp, it sounded much better in comparison. Which is odd, lots of people use JRiver. I still haven't figured out why the abandoned Winamp beats it like it does on my systems. I've never heard of bug head emperor, hmm, might have to look into it.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #947 of 4,588
I haven't had much luck with JRiver 22 using the mimby. In fact I went back to Winamp, it sounded much better in comparison. Which is odd, lots of people use JRiver. I still haven't figured out why the abandoned Winamp beats it like it does on my systems. I've never heard of bug head emperor, hmm, might have to look into it.

Try Foobar2000 with WSAPI output, it's free, good and still maintained. It's clean and straightforward, and won't cost you anything to have a play with it.

Bughead is no longer in active development, so any problems might never be fixed. If it works for you, then this isn't a worry, but it's worth knowing.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #948 of 4,588
Check out the Singxer X-1 USB bridge for usb-spdif. Less than $70 shipped.
Ordered the Mimby/Valhalla 2 and had been previously using nothing but USB for my hi-fi audio previously.

I added an Uptone Regen to the USB chain and that improved things. I was happy as a hog in Schiit. Until on a hunch, I pulled out a Sony DVDs player I had laying around and plugged in the digital coax to the Mimby. Now, I'd heard people bitch about USB audio before, and declare the superiority of SPDIF, but I ignored it. USB to SPDIF converters were too expensive and I loved the convenience and compartmentalization of computer based audio. I even got excellent results going from foobar to JRiver and finally to Bughead Emperor, the best computer audio program I'd ever heard, by a country mile.

But that Sony dvd player with digital coax into the Mimby smoked them all. I really didn't know just how good my equipment was until I popped in a CD and used digital coax from a CD player. I immediately sold my Regen and USB cable and have ditched computer audio entirely. Compared to coax, USB was was noisy, grainy, and veiled. Of course I wouldn't have said that when I was happily using USB but I didn't know what I was missing.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #950 of 4,588
  Just to update, I sent my Modi Multibit back to schiit.eu.com and Mark confirmed that the unit was faulty and sent out a replacement the same day, great service from the EU distributor!

The problem was static but in a particular frequency band, could be a bad DAC chip who knows...

Yay, glad they're taking care of you. Here's hoping that the replacement works as it should, and that you enjoy it, DOA units suck!

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #951 of 4,588
Check out the Singxer X-1 USB bridge for usb-spdif. Less than $70 shipped.

Why would I spend more money to get something that already comes with my DVD player? The Mimby is a $250 DAC, adding more money to it when (again) I can just use the SPDIF I already have. Wouldnt make a lot of sense to me.

Also, I am wanting to go back to CDs because I enjoy the tactile feel of handling my media rather than sticking it on a hard drive.

I also heard cost does matter for SQ with those converters and the cheaper ones are not worth the money in place of just going full SPDIF.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #952 of 4,588
Ah I see. My impression is that you liked the convenience of a pc for music. Hence my post. But you're moving to cd's , so disregard the X-1.

Cheers
Why would I spend more money to get something that already comes with my DVD player? The Mimby is a $250 DAC, adding more money to it when (again) I can just use the SPDIF I already have. Wouldnt make a lot of sense to me.

Also, I am wanting to go back to CDs because I enjoy the tactile feel of handling my media rather than sticking it on a hard drive.

I also heard cost does matter for SQ with those converters and the cheaper ones are not worth the money in place of just going full SPDIF.

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #953 of 4,588
Ordered the Mimby/Valhalla 2 and had been previously using nothing but USB for my hi-fi audio previously.

I added an Uptone Regen to the USB chain and that improved things. I was happy as a hog in Schiit. Until on a hunch, I pulled out a Sony DVDs player I had laying around and plugged in the digital coax to the Mimby. Now, I'd heard people bitch about USB audio before, and declare the superiority of SPDIF, but I ignored it. USB to SPDIF converters were too expensive and I loved the convenience and compartmentalization of computer based audio. I even got excellent results going from foobar to JRiver and finally to Bughead Emperor, the best computer audio program I'd ever heard, by a country mile.

But that Sony dvd player with digital coax into the Mimby smoked them all. I really didn't know just how good my equipment was until I popped in a CD and used digital coax from a CD player. I immediately sold my Regen and USB cable and have ditched computer audio entirely. Compared to coax, USB was was noisy, grainy, and veiled. Of course I wouldn't have said that when I was happily using USB but I didn't know what I was missing.

i just posted a few pages back that I found no audible difference. And I a/bed for three other people. No difference. Either your USB output is severely noisy or you're a victim of the placebo effect. People always make these statements with little to no evidence. For every person that says spdif is superior you have another saying USB is and optical is messy. 

There's no difference. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #954 of 4,588
i just posted a few pages back that I found no audible difference. And I a/bed for three other people. No difference. Either your USB output is severely noisy or you're a victim of the placebo effect. People always make these statements with little to no evidence. For every person that says spdif is superior you have another saying USB is and optical is messy. 

There's no difference. 

Nope, no difference. That's why people keep buying usb decrapifyers and USB to SPDIF converters.

Because there's no difference.

Right.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #955 of 4,588

USB is fine, problem is that people are using PC , Mac, notebooks that were not designed for audio. Streamers(computers designed for audio) can sound on pair with Good CD players. Even if you add sound card with digi coax out to regular computer, It will still sound bad and you will never hear full potential of your DAC

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #956 of 4,588
Personally I stream USB Tidal HD directly from my fairly run of the mill Dell desktop to my Bimby and the results for me are highly satisfying. I agree that there are conflicting views on this issue all over the map, none of which I have seen are supported in any way through some form of blind comparisons.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #958 of 4,588
There's only one important thing I've learned in this hobby...

Everything sounds good until you hear something better.

That is true.

Lets not get to hot on this discussion people. Do some experiments. Form your own opinions. Share them if you desire, but remember that they are opinions and not religious convictions.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #959 of 4,588
That is true.

Lets not get to hot on this discussion people. Do some experiments. Form your own opinions. Share them if you desire, but remember that they are opinions and not religious convictions.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back