Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 1, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #916 of 4,588
I have been burning in my Modi MB during the night throughout our vacaction in Tennessee and North Carolina and have about 52 hours on it now. we are on our way home now and should be home by Wednesday night. I'll plug it in overnight when we get home and give it a comparative listen to my Modi original, as well as, my Bifrost 4490 and Bifrost MB the next day. Really missing my X5ii coaxial out > Bifrost MB > HD650 setup.

I have been home for a week now and have had a great time comparing the Mimby with the 4490 and Bimby.

The Mimby versus my original Modi comparison was a very clear illustration of how much DAC technology has improved over the last 3-4 years. Soundscape width and depth, as well as detail retrieval improvement over the original Modi was startling. Very live-like sounding. I should note that I took advantage of the Toslink connectivity provided by the Mimby which may have assisted in the improvement in sound quality. This iMac setup is amped by a Magni 2Über.

Next, I moved the Mimby to my second setup which consists of the Bifrost 4490 (I upgraded it from an Über) which is amped by a Lake People G109S. The comparison of DACS was much closer. My opinion of DS and MB comparison, that I made back in February (when I purchased the Bimby), still holds true. Again the 4490 hits a bit harder in the bass and the details have a more "troweled over" characteristic whereas the Mimby presents instrument separation and details better, again more live-like in nature. Being very familiar with how the Bimby sounds, I already recognized how close my next comparison was going to be.

Finally I moved the Mimby to my bedroom setup where I have the Bimby driven by a Vali 2. So I had a MB vs MB face-off. Cutting to the chase, I heard very little, if any difference between these 2 DACS. If anything I hazard to say that the Bimby was ever so slightly smoother and relaxed, as in effortless, sounding way. I absolutely love detail and spatial separation creating that amazing realistic sound of the instruments and ambience and these MB DACS achieve this very well indeed.

I'm impressed, plain and simple...Mike (you too Jason)! The Mimby presents such a tremendous value that most anyone can now get a taste of MB technology.

I love the DAC flexibility that I now have. I decided to move the 4490 to my iMac setup which has seen the biggest system improvement with the original Modi now sidelined. Since both MB DACS are so close in performance I decided to put the Mimby with the V2 which has converted the bedroom setup to a much more portable layout. The Bimby obviously went to the Lake People setup. I upgraded/replaced 1 of my DACS but all 3 of my systems have benefitted positively in one or another.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #917 of 4,588
  I don't have any USB noise but I tried the Jitterbug with my Bimby to see if it would make a difference in SQ (not that I think it is missing anything as is). It did make a difference. It really sucked 
eek.gif

Hah, so it does make a difference sometimes, even if that's harmful.

That said, Rob Watts quite liked the effect that it had on the eyebleedingly pricey Chord DAVE:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3435#post_12681548

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #918 of 4,588

Hah, so it does make a difference sometimes, even if that's harmful.

That said, Rob Watts quite liked the effect that it had on the eyebleedingly pricey Chord DAVE:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3435#post_12681548

Yeah. Maybe it costs a lot to design and manufacture a DAC that needs the Jitterbug 
gs1000.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #919 of 4,588
  Great! waited 3 hours plugged in my headphones and all I get is the song with a loud static hiss, like a radio that has not been fully tuned in!

Tried both USB & Optical via my macbook and audirvana.

I have emailed Nick but has anybody also had this problem?

I've had this problem. Hit the button on the front to switch inputs to cycle it and the sound should clear up. It appears to be a sample rate problem for me, if I switch sample rates a lot it will make this static white noise on top of the song. I don't mess with any cables I just push the button 3 times to cycle the inputs and that clears it up for me. I had this problem with both Optical and USB. One thing I noticed is that mine stopped doing it when I took the vali off from on top of it, perhaps the modi multibit is getting too hot?

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #922 of 4,588
Sep 1, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #925 of 4,588
  The best description is can give is sterile and metalic. Not enjoyable. 

I tried the jitterbug also, found it gives a more relaxed and mono sound, kind of removes the impact, wasn't for me.

Hmmm, I felt Jitterbug gave more weight to things, but a bit less musical flow...so maybe not a good idea with Modi Multi unless anyone knows otherwise.

Sep 1, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #926 of 4,588
Yeah, I'm a former customer. My Vali, like a lot of others had to be repaired. 

But hey, at least that Schiit didn't kill my headphones. That would be irredeemable for such a company, right?

I have had two of my many schiit products give up the ghost and the company has fixed said units, that are under warranty. Entropy claims all electronics eventually, so its great, that Schiit Audio honors their warranty. Schiit Audio rocks, and I am glad a new dac /amp combo has been added to product line.

Sep 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #927 of 4,588
Yeah, I'm a former customer. My Vali, like a lot of others had to be repaired. 

But hey, at least that Schiit didn't kill my headphones. That would be irredeemable for such a company, right?

I have had two of my many schiit products give up the ghost and the company has fixed said units, that are under warranty. Entropy claims all electronics eventually, so its great, that Schiit Audio honors their warranty. Schiit Audio rocks, and I am glad a new dac /amp combo has been added to product line.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #928 of 4,588
  1) go the device manager, find your Schiit device, and manually update driver from there.
2) indicate that you want to choose the location of the driver.
3) go to \<Location of your driver>\Schiit_USB_Gen2_1_16\XP\SoftwareDriver\Driver. you should select CMAUCWO.inf.
4) click a few Nexts to finish the driver update.

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your steps and located CMAUCWO.inf

But when opening it I get the error message "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". I read this thread some more and found this in post #61:

This.
Ugh, the way the Schiit drivers install uses a packaged exe installer and leaves an uninstaller in the Control Panel. I rather wish they just provided the inf files to install it manually.

Does the above have a bearing on why clicking on CMAUCWO.inf didn't work for me?

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #929 of 4,588

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your steps and located CMAUCWO.inf

But when opening it I get the error message "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". I read this thread some more and found this in post #61:

Does the above have a bearing on why clicking on CMAUCWO.inf didn't work for me?

I'm thinking so, I tried that as well, it was a no go. I really hope that Windows 10 gets USB Audio 2, that way when they upgrade me at work I won't need a driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back