Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 15, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #601 of 4,588
Isn't the purpose of multibit r2r dacs so that you don't oversample? Isn't their burrito filter a 1-1 bit perfect deal?

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #602 of 4,588
Hi All, first post after being a member for years. I'd like to vent a little Schiit woes.

Last Tuesday I finally ordered with enthusiastically and expectantly ordered, for the first time, a Schiit Modi Mulitbit and the Magni Uber. I should have known something might go wrong when the order confirmation email and the shipping email was only 30 minutes apart. Today the box arrives, on time from FedEx, only to contain a MODI UBER and the expected Magni Uber. The kind Laura Z at Schiit has RMAed an return/exchange and the Modi Uber goes back tomorrow.
Has anyone else been sent or heard of this shipping mix up before?

Got an original magni in place of my vali last year. Sticker on the box said vali though. Kinda hoped they would let me keep it and send a vali. :wink:

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #603 of 4,588
Isn't the purpose of multibit r2r dacs so that you don't oversample? Isn't their burrito filter a 1-1 bit perfect deal?

Negative. The burrito filter is for oversampling. But it's a "closed form" solution, so the original samples are preserved. A multibit DAC avoids the conversion from PCM that occurs in delta-sigma modulated DACs, which again ensures that original samples are preserved. That's my current understanding, anyway.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #604 of 4,588

Negative. The burrito filter is for oversampling. But it's a "closed form" solution, so the original samples are preserved. A multibit DAC avoids the conversion from PCM that occurs in delta-sigma modulated DACs, which again ensures that original samples are preserved. That's my current understanding, anyway.

Yup.......

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 16, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #605 of 4,588
  Hi All, first post after being a member for years. I'd like to vent a little Schiit woes.

Last Tuesday I finally ordered with enthusiastically and expectantly ordered, for the first time, a Schiit Modi Mulitbit and the Magni Uber. I should have known something might go wrong when the order confirmation email and the shipping email was only 30 minutes apart. Today the box arrives, on time from FedEx, only to contain a MODI UBER and the expected Magni Uber. The kind Laura Z at Schiit has RMAed an return/exchange and the Modi Uber goes back tomorrow.

Schiit happens

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #607 of 4,588

Yup.......

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/22-HSjMS3Ks[/VIDEO]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #609 of 4,588

Had an address mixup. My address is 410 Pierce. They sent it to 410 W. Pierce. So I call them and Laura said she sent it to W. Pierce because that is what showed up on the magical computer address finder. So she sent me a new one (I forget what) and I go 1/2 mile down the road and find the box on a porch. So I sent it back. No harm. No foul. No worries. 

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #610 of 4,588
Have you guys had a Modi stand on its side? I don't think I'll be able sit one on top of my Lyr 2 (with LISSTs) and my table is pretty crowded as is.

Just ordered the ModiBit, or whatever it's called. Cheers!

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #611 of 4,588
  I earlier returned the Modi Uber via FedEx back to Schiit. Within 10 minutes of notifying Schiit I got back a shipping email. Should be here by next Monday or Tuesday, FedEx hasn't updated yet.

While you are waiting you can read some independent measurement details here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements

Enjoy - AB

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #612 of 4,588
  While you are waiting you can read some independent measurement details here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements

Enjoy - AB

Thanks, I'm reading now. I do have one question which hasn't been brought up as far as can find. The Modi Multibit is a 16bit dac which takes 24 bit data. How does it reduce a 24 bit file which say has 18 bits resolution down to only the 16 bits with out noticeable degradation?

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #613 of 4,588
I have recently re-installed the following in my bar:

Pioneer SX 1250 - serviced
Pioneer SG 9800 - serviced, not engaged at this time
Airport Express optical to
Modi 2 Uber 4490
Boston Acoustic CR9 & Boston PV 600 sub

Small room 9'x11'

My Modi Multibit arrived last week.

I thought that with the AE as source and the vintage Pioneer that any difference would get lost.

Switched back and forth between the 4490 & MB.

I was wrong.  In this less than state of the art or TOL system the difference is very obvious.  Bass is cleaner & deeper, mids are more present, and the treble is crisper, focused and clear.  Everything separates better and the overall sound is more pleasing.

YMMV,
r2

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #614 of 4,588
Has anybody compared the Mimby to the Emotiva DC-1?

I am currently using the DC-1, and I find nothing really lacking, but having a low cost multi-bit option makes me want to see what all the fuss is about. I am just not 100% convinced that I shouldn't save my pennies and step up to a Gumby or (preferably) a Yggy. However, either of these would be a LONG way off for me.

Do you all think the Mimby would be an upgrade to the Emotiva DC-1, or equally good, but simply a different representation of the music?

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #615 of 4,588
Has anybody compared the Mimby to the Emotiva DC-1?

I am currently using the DC-1, and I find nothing really lacking, but having a low cost multi-bit option makes me want to see what all the fuss is about. I am just not 100% convinced that I shouldn't save my pennies and step up to a Gumby or (preferably) a Yggy. However, either of these would be a LONG way off for me.

Do you all think the Mimby would be an upgrade to the Emotiva DC-1, or equally good, but simply a different representation of the music?

I will stick to your emotiva if you are using DSD or any high bitrate music files.

Advantage or rather magic of mimby is it's transformation of 16/44.1 into thier accurate secret comboburitos.

It will be a plus for those using online music streaming service like me:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back