Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 17, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #616 of 4,588

Quote:

Thanks, I'm reading now. I do have one question which hasn't been brought up as far as can find. The Modi Multibit is a 16bit dac which takes 24 bit data. How does it reduce a 24 bit file which say has 18 bits resolution down to only the 16 bits with out noticeable degradation?

I may not be 100% correct on every little detail but I'm pretty sure it works like this:

All of the Schiit multi-bit (R2R) DACs t̶r̶u̶n̶c̶a̶t̶e̶ round all the Least Significant Bits (LSB) of a 24-bit signal that they cannot natively process into the LSB that they can natively process. 

Modi MB and Bifrost MB = 16th bit,    Mjolnir = 18th bit,    Yggy = 20th bit.

But what you have to keep in mind is that anything below @-60dB (10 bits) of audible signal is just mainly noise floor and quantization noise and doesn't contain any real musically relevant signal at all.

So by t̶r̶u̶n̶c̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ rounding a 24-bit signal down to even 16 bits, you really aren't loosing anything of any audible significance.

For a really good and simple explanation of how bit depth and quantization noise effect sound quality, I recommend watching this video:

Edit: Changed 'truncate' to 'round'.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #618 of 4,588
  I believe they round rather than truncate.

Tomato, tamata. 
biggrin.gif

I think you're right, though.  But I'm not exactly sure what the difference would be.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #619 of 4,588

Tomato, tamata. 
biggrin.gif

I think you're right, though.  But I'm not exactly sure what the difference would be.

Mike Moffat says:
"The megaburrito filter's DSP chip runs at 32 bits - not that is any bragging right other than it puts the computational errors at least 12 bits below the rounded output of Yggy, 14 bits below the rounded output of Gumby, or 16 bits below the rounded output of Bimby."

Truncating means the 16th bit stays the same, rounding means that if the 17th bit is 1 it would round up adding 1 to 16th bit position.(all counting from MSB of course
smile.gif
)

Edit: I guess if you have hearing with a dynamic range >100dB it could make a difference
biggrin.gif

(some reckon to be able to hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit (?), so ... )

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #620 of 4,588
I will stick to your emotiva if you are using DSD or any high bitrate music files.

Advantage or rather magic of mimby is it's transformation of 16/44.1 into thier accurate secret comboburitos.

It will be a plus for those using online music streaming service like me:)

I've often read that Schiit's filter works best with 16/44.1 music (as you've mentioned above).

I take it this means that the filter isn't so magical with high bitrate files or other non-Redbook music? So in the case of such files, how well does Mimby compare to other D-S DACs?

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #621 of 4,588
I've often read that Schiit's filter works best with 16/44.1 music (as you've mentioned above).

I take it this means that the filter isn't so magical with high bitrate files or other non-Redbook music? So in the case of such files, how well does Mimby compare to other D-S DACs?

Accuracy against my now defunct m9xx. Micro and Macro are in spades against m9xx. 3D realism !

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #623 of 4,588
So oversampling is ok, it's just the high frequency switching of D/S dacs that make so much noise? If that noise is coming out of your headphones/speakers, even if you can't hear it, it has to have a negative impact on the rest of the sound that it's trying to reproduce. Do D/S dacs try to filter that noise out or do they just let it ride since it's higher than human hearing?

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #624 of 4,588
Hey kids--what are people using as a good RCA interconnect that's short, would be combining the modi multibit with the vali...

Short meaning (obviously) like six inches. This will be on my bedside table.

Thx in advance :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #626 of 4,588
Hey kids--what are people using as a good RCA interconnect that's short, would be combining the modi multibit with the vali...

Thx in advance :)

@paladin79 made me some really nice 8" RCAs. Contact Tom @ cablesforless and they might be able to make more.

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #627 of 4,588

Thx in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Also check out the AQ bridges and falls series (tower, evergreen, golden gate, big sur, etc.)
I know 0.6m is a bit longer than what you asked for but they are relatively flexible and do not get in the way.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #629 of 4,588
Also check out the AQ bridges and falls series (tower, evergreen, golden gate, big sur, etc.)
I know 0.6m is a bit longer than what you asked for but they are relatively flexible and do not get in the way.

Yes, I am a big Audioquest fan, but 0.6 m is just too much; I think the weight alone would pull the modi off the back of my dresser down into the Dante-esque pit of dust rodents back there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back