Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #301 of 4,588
Yup just wanted it to be clear incase someone has the 4490 my impressions wouldn't be as accurate since the 4490 is said to be better and warmer than the 4396.

Aug 2, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #302 of 4,588
  I've just replaced (in my IEM setup at least), the Chord Mojo with the Modi MB. 

The DAC section at least, is better in my system, than the Mojo.

The Modi MB is (and this is straight from the box), more organic, dynamic and has more inner detail, there is a slightly glassiness in the upper registers at the moment, but i reckon with burn in it will get better. 

A home run for the people at Schiit. 

Awesome stuff.  

Is it already available in Singapore or did you get one from Schiit?

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #303 of 4,588
Yep my girlfriend listens to Sirius in her Jeep and it sounds terrible. 320mp3s from the ipod sound great but the Sirius sounds worse than 128 for sure.

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #305 of 4,588
Yep my girlfriend listens to Sirius in her Jeep and it sounds terrible. 320mp3s from the ipod sound great but the Sirius sounds worse than 128 for sure.

I think I read somewhere that the different stations broadcast at different bitrates. Talk radio is something like 32 Kbps, pop at 64 Kbps and classical at 128kbps. Could be incorrect or outdated info though.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #306 of 4,588
Digital radio sucks (Sirius, HD Radio). They cram too many streams into a single slot, which isn't too much bandwidth to begin with (64 or 128 kbps).

Same thing with cable TV.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #307 of 4,588
Digital radio sucks (Sirius, HD Radio). They cram too many streams into a single slot, which isn't too much bandwidth to begin with (64 or 128 kbps).

Same thing with cable TV.

Yeah, thankfully I still have my original grandfathered att unlimited data plan, so I can stream basically as much as I want from tidal or Apple Music over LTE. I use something like 14GB per month of data on my phone.

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #308 of 4,588
Yeah, thankfully I still have my original grandfathered att unlimited data plan, so I can stream basically as much as I want from tidal or Apple Music over LTE. I use something like 14GB per month of data on my phone.

I just have a 128gb SD card in my GS5 and rotate about half of the music I have on there, the other half are staples and favorites. My LTE service is spotty, especially at work.

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #309 of 4,588

Same thing here... Spotify Premium over unlimited LTE on my Sprint business phone. Hook it up to Bluetooth in my car and off we go..

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #310 of 4,588
I wish I could listen to bluetooth without going insane. Its either the phone or the radio but the treble sounds so grainy. I just fill my ipod up with ALAC and leave it in the car until I want to put different stuff on it. Once I get a GS7 in october hopefully it will be better.

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #311 of 4,588
Getting back on topic, I am somewhat interested in if a Multibit DAC makes low bitrate music sound better. I'd guess it could maybe cause it to sound smoother, but maybe lack some micro detail.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #312 of 4,588
I'll be getting one soon. I just got a iDSD Micro so have to pay my card down some. I want to try a "Multibit" just to hear the music from it. Man this is getting a little expensive. This will be my last one? LOL Should be nice with my Vali 2 and 7dj8 tube.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #313 of 4,588
What I'm curious about is the multibit tech- I've always used the dac's in my audio interface for recording, currently a Focusrite pro 24 VRM. These are good, quasi-balanced dac's and have many more than 2 channels the play with. However, they are, like all recording I/O, delta sigma and very sterile. Now, it is my understanding a dac should be transparent, but I wonder what I may be able to add that I don't know is there with the multibit. That clarity factor has always been kinda fuzzy with me- cheapo dac's DO sound bad, but I can't imagine what more I can get after my recording equipment.
Anybody else come from an "industry standard" delta sigma dac to a dedicated "high-end/multibit" dac? Thoughts on this idea of clarity are appreciated.

-Jay

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #314 of 4,588
It never end's.
I just spent 700usd on a bifrost multibit.
And now i am going to spend 1000usd on the Focal Elear.
After that i am getting a Lyr 2.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #315 of 4,588
Getting back on topic, I am somewhat interested in if a Multibit DAC makes low bitrate music sound better. I'd guess it could maybe cause it to sound smoother, but maybe lack some micro detail.

I have a Bimby and In my experience. if something sounds really good On a DS DAC it sounds far better on a MB DAC. on the other side of the coin if it sound like crap on a DS DAC, The Multibit does not seem to do anything for it. To me it makes it sound worst. 

Remember how awesome HD TV's were when they came out and you saw them with a full HD signal. Then you switch to the standard def signal and it looked even worst than it did on your old TV. That's what its like to me. It was not a reason not to get an HDTV it meant get the HD signal and ditch the VHS tapes. The same applies here, if you are not starting off with CD quality files, it may be hit or miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back