Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 2, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #286 of 4,588
  I upgraded to the Magni2Ü when it first came out and the difference between it and the original Magni was minimal but the sound is a little bit more authoritative and the bass has a bit more punch but without doubt the Modi is what elevates this computer system the most.  I'm very tempted to upgrade my Modi to the new Modi Multibit but having a tough time pulling the trigger when this system already sounds so damn good.

Similar but opposite upgrade path, I had to upgrade from Magni to the Magni2Ü, because the original Magni was not keeping up with the sound delta from the Modi2Ü to Mimby. After the amplifier upgrade, very happy with the Mimby sound.

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #287 of 4,588
I am currently doing some work on my iMac and have my headphone system pumping SiriusXM music into my Beyerdynamic DT1350's which are being fed by a Modi original (my first ever Schiit purchase) and amplified by a Magni2Ü.  I'm grinning with glee just like the first time I connected these Schiit products to my computer.  This computer and components simply work very well together.  I have had absolutely no noise issues (I'm using an AudioQuest carbon USB cable).

I upgraded to the Magni2Ü when it first came out and the difference between it and the original Magni was minimal but the sound is a little bit more authoritative and the bass has a bit more punch but without doubt the Modi is what elevates this computer system the most.  I'm very tempted to upgrade my Modi to the new Modi Multibit but having a tough time pulling the trigger when this system already sounds so damn good.

Not to be elitist, but isn't siriusXM like 32 or 64kbPs?

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #289 of 4,588
My mimby and magni 2 are scheduled to arrive Friday......why cant we have teleporter tech already you know so i can get my instant music gratification 
L3000.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #292 of 4,588

If letting this DAC sit for 12 hours makes it sound any better then I will be so blown away I might cease to exist.

I just plugged it in about an hour ago, and now that the top feels warm I've been listening to a 24/96 vinyl rip (original pressing, first play) of Dark side of the moon.

Chain is as follows; W10-64bit Foobar2k > Modi Multibit > Vali 2 (JJ E88CC GP) > Impact audio infinity cable > Senn HD650s

A/B with Modi 2 Uber (AK4396)

The first thing that jumps out at me is the treble. Holy cow the cymbals sound SO MUCH BETTER. Seriously, its not even a question. A/Bing with the Modi2U, when I switch back to the delta sigma it sounds like I'm listening to 128kb mp3s again. The clocks in the beginning of Time are astoundingly clear. I swear drool started to come out from the corner of my mouth.

Next up is the bass. This dac is much warmer than the Modi2U 4396. The low end has more impact, and allot more resolution. 

Midrange is the same but with much more resolution. Excellent especially with the HD650s.

This is only after 1-2 hours. If it gets better after a few hours of warm up then I dont even know what to say. I mean come on this thing is insane for $250.

Just wondering, isn't the Modi2Über = AKM AK4490?  Like the Bifrost 4490.

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #293 of 4,588
  Just wondering, isn't the Modi2Über = AKM AK4490?  Like the Bifrost 4490.

That was a very recent change, any M2U that's older than a couple of months would be the AKM 4396

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #295 of 4,588
  Hey when is that M9xx vs mimby comparison coming, and are you going to use a magni as the amp or a different amp?

whenever my MoMBy arrives I'll do one.  It shipped today.  No estimated delivery date yet.  Amps will be Torpedo III and HiFiMan EF2C.  TO give a rough idea the EF2C is roughly on par with the Vali, and the T3 is roughly on par with the Mjolnir

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #296 of 4,588
  I know but according to the Schiit website....

sure, which is why the person you responded to specified which AKM chip their M2U had.

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #298 of 4,588
Unless something changed over the last couple of months (I doubt it honestly), the internet streaming version was obviously distorting, and the satellite version was making me cringe - I could not listen to it.

Certain types of music work better than others, of course (Jazz was not nearly as bad as rock).

Aug 2, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #300 of 4,588
Unless something changed over the last couple of months (I doubt it honestly), the internet streaming version was obviously distorting, and the satellite version was making me cringe - I could not listen to it.

Certain types of music work better than others, of course (Jazz was not nearly as bad as rock).

Yeah, my girlfriend has it in her car and its "listenable" but I definitely cringe. Cymbals sound like a hard drive dying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back