Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 3, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #331 of 4,588
I received my Mimby yesterday. I was curious about multibit, seeing as how I've only ever listened to digital sources with delta-sigma chips. I've left it on for over 24 hours now and use a PC running Linux to push bits to the DAC via USB 3.0.

So far, it's a fairly favorable impression. It certainly beats the Oppo BDP-103, which sounds rather thin and brittle by comparison. The bass is tight and impactful. The midrange is nicely fleshed out. There's a slight hardness to the sound that gives pop female vocals a bit of an 'edge' and makes some string / piano passages a little strident. I still prefer the music made by the Ayre C-5xeMP that serves as my main source in the stereo, which isn't that much of a surprise. Instrumental and vocal timbres seem to be more lifelike and the tonal balance more even.

Still, this DAC is acquitting itself quite well in the speaker system, which can't be said for most inexpensive DAC's I've come across. I may have to try the Yggdrasil...

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #332 of 4,588
  I have a Bimby and In my experience. if something sounds really good On a DS DAC it sounds far better on a MB DAC. on the other side of the coin if it sound like crap on a DS DAC, The Multibit does not seem to do anything for it. To me it makes it sound worst. 

Are you suggesting that you can hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC? There are some who are adamant that high-bit MP3 is indistinguishable from redbook FLAC...

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #333 of 4,588
  Are you suggesting that you can hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC? There are some who are adamant that high-bit MP3 is indistinguishable from redbook FLAC...

We're heading into very dangerous territory here, but the general rule is i would say what sounds good to you is the best for you. Personally I can hear a difference between lossy files and lossless files and occasionally I do test myself on that, but that's based on my ears, not everyone else's.

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #334 of 4,588
  Personally I can hear a difference between lossy files and lossless files and occasionally I do test myself on that, but that's based on my ears, not everyone else's.

For lossy files, how many kbps? And using which gear (source, DAC, amp, transducers)?

PS If you hear a difference between lossy and lossless (and the methodology holds, e.g. same levels for both files), then there is a good chance there is a subset of the population that will also hear a difference when using the same gear/set-up (barring huge genetic variations or personal training). Of course it is possible that some segment of the population won't hear a difference, which wouldn't be unexpected.
If the results are negative, though, then they are local: they may be dependent on the set-up, gear, ears/brain, and they may not hold any clues as to whether the "no diff" holds any general value or not.

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #335 of 4,588

For lossy files, how many kbps?

PS If you hear a difference between lossy and lossless (and the methodology holds, e.g. same levels for both files), then there is a good chance there is a subset of the population that will also hear a difference when using the same gear/set-up (barring huge genetic variations or personal training). Of course it is possible that some segment of the population won't hear a difference, which wouldn't be unexpected.
If the results are negative, though, then they are local: they may be dependent on the set-up, gear, ears/brain, and they may not hold any clues as to whether the "no diff" holds any general value or not.

320kbps AAC CBR.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #336 of 4,588
Yeah, I hope we don't get down this path. My original question was more aimed at very low bitrate files (for example 64kbps like satellite radio) and whether Multibit helps them. Not whether people can hear the difference between 320vbr, flac and DSD.

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #337 of 4,588
 There's a slight hardness to the sound that gives pop female vocals a bit of an 'edge' and makes some string / piano passages a little strident.

Interesting observation.

I have not heard any Schiit DACs, but I am under the impression that their multibit offerings are anything but sibilant. I find this report a bit troublesome, as I abhor sibilance second only to brick wall mastering jobs (the sibilance usually goes hand in hand with it, however). 

I have not heard any of Schiit's DACs, however, I do own their Vali 2 amplifier, and love it, especially considering the cost. I have been enamored with the idea of one day owning a Yggy. The cost is the only reason I do not have one yet. I was considering a lower cost multibit DAC from Schiit, and when the Modi Miltibit popped up, it was like a dream come true. Here we have a "working mans" entry into the world of R2R DACs, and maybe just a bit the YGGYs sound signature inside the box. Wishful thinking, I know, but I was hoping it would allow me to see for myself if it was worth moving up the chain to the YGGY in the future.

This sibilance has me scared....

Sure, $250 isn't a huge layout to try for yourself, but for me it's certainly not something I have laying around...and I would venture to guess that others interested in this DAC for reasons beyond curiosity/comparison to their more expensive DACs would also have to save to get this DAC.

There are a lot of things in the audiophile world that do not live up to the hype, and some things even surpass the hype I had in my head (Schiit Vali 2, Senn HD 650, Emotiva DC-1, Emotiva XSP-1, to name a few). I guesss what I am trying to say is that I sincerely hope this DAC can live up to the hype I have in my head for it. To be honest, I hope it will best my beloved Emotiva DC-1. It's not even that I find the DC-1 to be lacking....I just feel like a miltibit DAC may be able to add a level of resolution that surpasses what I am getting today.

Please keep us informed on your opinion as you have more time with the Modi Multibit.

To everyone else with these, will you also please keep the opinions and impressions coming. I feel like I am clamoring for more reviews on this DAC. In fact, it's this very DAC that has me actually logging into Head-Fi again! (as opposed to simply lurking).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #338 of 4,588

I usually can tell. I was in college during the height of Napster. I was probably the only person on campus who continued to by CD's because I could not stand MP3's then.

We're heading into very dangerous territory here, but the general rule is i would say what sounds good to you is the best for you. Personally I can hear a difference between lossy files and lossless files and occasionally I do test myself on that, but that's based on my ears, not everyone else's.

I do not see it as being dangerous. I do hear a difference. If some do not, I am fine with it, I wont lose any sleep. I had a friend who told me he does not believe there is a difference and after setting a non scientific test. We played his mp3.s versus lossless on the same rig through an original modi. The Result. He dumped all his MP3's and re ripped everything as wav. MP3 is now A curse word to him, but that's not exactly where I was going here.
smile.gif

Yeah, I hope we don't get down this path. My original question was more aimed at very low bitrate files (for example 64kbps like satellite radio) and whether Multibit helps them. Not whether people can hear the difference between 320vbr, flac and DSD.

In My experience there was not a noticeable improvement with the few lower bitrate files,  Your experience may differ. Where I was going  is what becomes apparent is albums that have poor mastering. even 16/44.1 flac ripped from a CD.On an MB the  poor mastering becomes even more transparent.

I am curious are you using primarily lossy formats? if you are playing primarily Lossy formats, Why spend the Extra $$$ on the Multibit when it's main selling point is bit perfect? Some would say Save the cash and get a better set of Headphones but you seem to have that covered.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #339 of 4,588
^ I'm at the other end of the product chain - recent Yggy not Mimby owner - but would be very surprised if the hardless, edge and stridency stays for long as these are quite the opposite of how Yggy sounds. Nevertheless, Mimby might be different...I look forward to yage's developing impressions too

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #340 of 4,588
I am curious are you using primarily lossy formats? if you are playing primarily Lossy formats, Why spend the Extra $$$ on the Multibit when it's main selling point is bit perfect? Some would say Save the cash and get a better set of Headphones but you seem to have that covered.

The reason I was talking about it was because somebody else mentioned listening to satellite radio with MoMBy and it sounding good, satellite radio is anywhere from 16kbps to 64kbps. So that's what brought this up.

Generally I buy my absolute favorite albums in lossless. So I probably have about 500 lossless albums. But I have another 8000 or so albums in lossy format (or rather saved for streaming through Apple Music). I listen to a LOT of music, so having it all in lossless would be insanely space and cost prohibitive. I'd say about 15% of my listening is lossless, 85% is 256kbps AAC.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #341 of 4,588
No sibilance or hard edges with my Mimby + Vali 2 + hd650s

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #342 of 4,588
Cymbals and vocal "s" sounds are where the biggest difference is between lossless and lossy to my ears.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #344 of 4,588

This sibilance has me scared....

There's a couple of things to keep in mind - this was on my speaker-based system. Sometimes DACs that work well on my headphone setups don't work too well in my stereo.

I also just noticed a strange behavior listening to the HD 600 / Sonett 2 that may explain a few things too - when I unplugged the USB cable from my PC and then plugged it back in with the Mimby left powered up, I got a weird zingy metallic sound that followed the rise and fall of the audio signal. It went away after some more fiddling around but I'm going to try to reproduce it and see if that's what I heard over the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back