Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 29, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #3,856 of 4,588
Thanks for the response. For music, i use Foobar and wasapi into Schiit so i think it bypasses Windows10 setting. For anything else that does not bitperfect into Schiit, what would be the recommendation?
I read in one of the earlier posts 16/44 is the setting to use for getting maximum use from burrito filter. If its true, i will just set Win10 at that setting and leave it there.

For bit-rates, I downsample everything to 16 bits but the sample rates are bitperfect per WASAPI foobar

Capture.PNG

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #3,859 of 4,588
Thanks for the response. For music, i use Foobar and wasapi into Schiit so i think it bypasses Windows10 setting. For anything else that does not bitperfect into Schiit, what would be the recommendation?
I read in one of the earlier posts 16/44 is the setting to use for getting maximum use from burrito filter. If its true, i will just set Win10 at that setting and leave it there.
What you want is to bypass the windows driver completely using wasapi or asio. Then your windows setting wouldnt matter.

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #3,860 of 4,588
What you want is to bypass the windows driver completely using wasapi or asio. Then your windows setting wouldnt matter.
I am using wasapi, but it also has bit depth setting anywhere from 16 until 32bits. So i was wondering whats the best setting for Mimby
Also for anything thats not music, Windows setting applies. So the same question again whether 16bit/44.1 best setting on Windows.

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #3,861 of 4,588
I just got my mimby. My chain is Audirvana Mac > Eitr > Mimby > Jotunheim > AFO.

This may sound crazy, but I'm getting some weird sound pressure sensation like inaudible high frequency similar to using Bose noise cancelling headphones despite running at low volume. This is making my ears hurt and I'm starting to get a headache.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this part of warm up / burn in?

It's definitely coming from the Mimby as removing the Eitr doesn't remove the sensation. Switching back to the DS internal DAC resolves the sensation.

Edit: I'm wondering if this is related to oversampling? I once experienced something similar using Audirvana's upsampling using the iDSD BL.

Edit 2: Seems like a false alarm. I rebooted the device based on prior comments in this thread and whatever was happening seems to have gone away.

Edit 3: Unfortunately the sensation came back. I'm getting ear pain and ringing only when using the Mimby. When I switch back to the DS balanced Jotunheim card things are fine again. However, I stopped listening yesterday and my ears are still sensitive to sounds today. I'm not listening loudly either. My iPhone decibel measuring app reports the volume at 40 - 50 db. I've never had this kind of problem before with any of my other gear other than perhaps a mild version when using the software oversampling with Audirvana+, which I stopped using.

Any ideas?

The Mimby sounds much more defined and forward, with greater bass impact vs. my other DACs so maybe this is just some kind of fatigue? I just don't want to damage my hearing.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #3,863 of 4,588
I just got my mimby. My chain is Audirvana Mac > Eitr > Mimby > Jotunheim > AFO.

This may sound crazy, but I'm getting some weird sound pressure sensation like inaudible high frequency similar to using Bose noise cancelling headphones despite running at low volume. This is making my ears hurt and I'm starting to get a headache.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this part of warm up / burn in?

It's definitely coming from the Mimby as removing the Eitr doesn't remove the sensation. Switching back to the DS internal DAC resolves the sensation.

Edit: I'm wondering if this is related to oversampling? I once experienced something similar using Audirvana's upsampling using the iDSD BL.

Edit 2: Seems like a false alarm. I rebooted the device based on prior comments in this thread and whatever was happening seems to have gone away.

Edit 3: Unfortunately the sensation came back. I'm getting ear pain and ringing only when using the Mimby. When I switch back to the DS balanced Jotunheim card things are fine again. However, I stopped listening yesterday and my ears are still sensitive to sounds today. I'm not listening loudly either. My iPhone decibel measuring app reports the volume at 40 - 50 db. I've never had this kind of problem before with any of my other gear other than perhaps a mild version when using the software oversampling with Audirvana+, which I stopped using.

Any ideas?

The Mimby sounds much more defined and forward, with greater bass impact vs. my other DACs so maybe this is just some kind of fatigue? I just don't want to damage my hearing.

I have tinnitus and i experienced something kinda similar. Last night i heard a weird electric type noise in the background of my music. It was very odd and i stopped listening to headphones for the night. I have only listened to my Modi multibit 3 times (bought it last week) but never heard it prior. It may have been nothing and it may have been just the track. If i recall i played a different album and it wasn't there but i called it a night, either way.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #3,864 of 4,588
What happens if you go direct USB to the Mimby?

I still get the same issue going directly USB into the Mimby at least with AFO, Emu Teak and M50x. I’m using the iFI iUSB nano. I took that out of the chain last night and didn’t really hear an improvement. I rebooted the Mimby again and then tried my HD6XX with less fatigue and ear ringing. Maybe still treble related.

Sound quality wise this DAC is a major improvement over the DS Jotunheim DAC so I’m still hoping that I can get used to it.

It’s very strange, it feels like there might be something coming in above 20 kHz that’s causing this sensation because it feels like an audible pressure.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #3,865 of 4,588
Very strange. I'm using PC USB -> Wyrd -> Mimby -> Jotunheim and can't say I've ever experienced the problems you're having. I've had my Mimby almost since they were released, and leave it on 24/7.

Actually, I fibbed. Output from Mimby goes through my Stax amps first (because they have parallel outputs and you can daisy-chain them) and the chain ends at my Jot.

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #3,866 of 4,588
I still get the same issue going directly USB into the Mimby at least with AFO

Audirvana Plus isn't up-sampling is it? Bit of a long shot, but it shouldn't be.

I reckon contact Schiit though. That's just too weird.

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #3,867 of 4,588
Very strange. I'm using PC USB -> Wyrd -> Mimby -> Jotunheim and can't say I've ever experienced the problems you're having. I've had my Mimby almost since they were released, and leave it on 24/7.

Actually, I fibbed. Output from Mimby goes through my Stax amps first (because they have parallel outputs and you can daisy-chain them) and the chain ends at my Jot.

Thanks. I really like the Jotuheim and have found it to be very revealing but never too bright / etched / etc. I've had my Mimby powered up for a week, but it still seems really bright. I thought the Dragonfly Red Sabre DAC was bright, but my Mimby sounds much brighter to me.

Is the Mimby supposed to be a "warm" sounding DAC? That was the impressions that I got from the forum. However, to my ear this is the brightest DAC I've ever heard. I'm A/Bing with the iFI iDSD BL right now running the Eitr coax into the BL vs. running Eitr > Mimby SE > iDSD BL 3.5 mm in to take the Jotunheim out of the chain. I'm still getting the same effects when using the Mimby fed into the BL: much brighter signature, pressure on the ears, mild pain. The Mimby sounds more revealing and with greater bass impact vs. the Burr Brown chips in the BL, while the BL DAC sounds a much warmer and less fatiguing.

Perhaps I'm just not used to this level of detail from the Mimby? Maybe I've just hit my treble threshold. It sounds great, but I just find it fatiguing very fast.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #3,868 of 4,588
I have tinnitus and i experienced something kinda similar. Last night i heard a weird electric type noise in the background of my music. It was very odd and i stopped listening to headphones for the night. I have only listened to my Modi multibit 3 times (bought it last week) but never heard it prior. It may have been nothing and it may have been just the track. If i recall i played a different album and it wasn't there but i called it a night, either way.

Try turning off your Mimby for a few seconds and then turn it on again...maybe that'll clear it up,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back