Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 29, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #3,871 of 4,588
Thanks. Not sure if that worked or I was hearing things or, what but i dont hear it, anymore
Don't worry you're not going crazy It was actually there It happens to me Every once in a while The fix Just Turn on and off the device.

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #3,872 of 4,588
While I was still using my multibit, the underwater garbling issue on the left channel (which as far as I can tell, has been a known problem since the units first shipped) got so bad for me that I actually had a stand-by track from Cliff Martinez (first track on The Foreigner) that I would play occasionally in a listening session to make sure the device was working properly. When the garbling was happening it was very easy to identify while listening to the first few seconds of that track. Then after a couple of months it became very apparent that my TDA1543 based dacs are actually able to pull out far more resolution than the multibit ever could. Something that I later discovered was probably due to a firmware bug which may or may not be fixed in newer units. Sad really.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #3,873 of 4,588
Turns out I had some ground loop or something. When I plugged the Mimby into a dedicated power outlet and not the same power strip as the Jot the pressure / high frequency sensation went away. Also it now sounds way less bright. I must have been generating some high frequency interference and then amplifying it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #3,874 of 4,588
Turns out I had some ground loop or something. When I plugged the Mimby into a dedicated power outlet and not the same power strip as the Jot the pressure / high frequency sensation went away. Also it now sounds way less bright. I must have been generating some high frequency interference and then amplifying it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was actually experiencing the same problem and came to this thread to see if anyone else was too haha. My darker headphones like the M1060 and HD6XX sound fine but when I plug in my TH-X00 or Andromedas I start getting headaches, yet while using them on my other devices were fine. Will be sure to give this a try in the morning.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #3,875 of 4,588
I was actually experiencing the same problem and came to this thread to see if anyone else was too haha. My darker headphones like the M1060 and HD6XX sound fine but when I plug in my TH-X00 or Andromedas I start getting headaches, yet while using them on my other devices were fine. Will be sure to give this a try in the morning.

Yeah, I've never experienced anything like it. That sensation is 100% gone now and the DAC sounds like everyone describes it - amazing. I had to play around with different wall sockets to plug it in and also removed the iFi iUSB 3.0 nano from the chain and then everything calmed down. In my case my Jotunheim has an intermittent hum / ground loop or something. If the Jotunheim is plugged in and off I can still get a hum in another connected amp on the same outlet when touching the Jotunheim. I have no training in electronics so this is new to me, but I'm happy that I've fixed it for now. Currently I have the Jot and Eitr on the same Belkin power strip surge protector and the Mimby in the other socket of the same outlet. I feel like this shouldn't have done anything, but the difference was immediately noticeable.

My only guess as to what was happening was that I had some minimally audible high frequency interference that was being generated and leading to a brighter sound signature that was immediately fatiguing.

More generally, I'm very impressed with this DAC and the combination with the Eitr really makes a difference. This combination has a much lower noise floor and larger sound stage than when using the iFi iUSB 3.0 nano. I still like the AK4490 Jotunheim balanced DAC, but this current setup is an overall significant improvement.

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #3,876 of 4,588
Wow you're right, I could immediately tell that the sound wasn't overly bright anymore. Have my Andromedas in and enjoying them so much, the soundstage is crazy wide now compared to my phone. Thanks for that! Would've never guessed my battery backup to be the problem, had no problems before with other DACs/amps.

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #3,878 of 4,588
Hey y'all. Just received my Mimby today. Very impressed so far. Has better bass than my SMSL SU-8. This is my first taste of Multibit. Digging it!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #3,879 of 4,588
It took me like two weeks to figure out. Maybe this DAC is really sensitive to power source.

I tried my Mimby on an APC BR1500G UPS...didn't care for the sound. Might be better on a true sine-wave UPS/AVR, though.

Hey y'all. Just received my Mimby today. Very impressed so far. Has better bass than my SMSL SU-8. This is the best DAC I have heard. [This is my first taste of Multibit]. Might have to update my signature...

I like my Mimby waay more than the AK4490 DAC I was using.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #3,880 of 4,588
Are you guys running your Mimby’s from unattenuated i.e. bit perfect sources?

I went through the best part of two years of returning Mimby’s for repair as they kept developing this issue of overdriving on loud tracks when given full volume input. In the end the distributor claimed that it was user error - that the Mimby wasn’t designed to receive full volume input and was therefore incompatible with bit perfect operation as well as devices that don’t allow control of source volume (e.g. optical out of smart TVs).

I eventually gave up and took a refund instead of going through yet another repair and disappointment, but I’ve been looking around for an alternative DAC and really don’t see much that I like - Mimby was really good when it worked!

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #3,883 of 4,588
I just got my mimby today. Have not really got into it much yet, bu initial impressions are not bad. What bit rates do these things support? I thought i read somewhere they only do up to 48k, but in the windows sound settings it definitely gives you the option of higher.
From the product page:
Sample Rates and Bit Depths: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB, Coax, and Optical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back