Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 31, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #2,971 of 4,588
Okay so I found the cables I needed laying around the house and Holy Schiit this thing rocks! I got this hooked to my Crack/Speedball + HD 650's and the sound came alive! WOW, all the music that I already have are all just so incredible sounding. I can't believe I went without a DAC all this time. It gave new life to my music! The soundstage is astounding, more power in the lows and mids, all the while maintaining clarity. OMG thank you Schiit!

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #2,973 of 4,588
I will be try to feed this thing coax later today.  I'll let you know how I think it compares to USB straight from the old HP Elitebook.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #2,974 of 4,588
Okay so it has been an hour since my last post and I'm still enjoying my newly purchased Mimby. I can't get enough of female vocals and acoustic stuff like Imogen Heap, Astrud Gilberto, and Niia. My all time favorite bossa nova song is Rosa Posas with Yo Yo Ma - Chega De Saudade. It's sublime! It's like hearing it for the first time again. I can't stop listening to music wow

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #2,975 of 4,588

Monoprice are great. I have some custom short belden/rean RCAs made by @Paladin79 that are fantastic as well. I also really like Blue Jeans Cables, but they are at the top end of what I like to spend on cables.

Or you could really pimp it out with Wywires Silver ICs and their Platinum USB cable.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #2,976 of 4,588
That's a lot of money on cables for a rig that retails for $450.00...

confused_face_2.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #2,977 of 4,588
  That's a lot of money on cables for a rig that retails for $450.00...

confused_face_2.gif

I am glad the "rig" was so reasonably priced. I think I might upgrade it sometime in the future, but I will not have to buy any more cables. I also Know that this is the best you can get out of this Schiit. This system sounds WAY better than my old Lyr and Bifrost ever did.

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,985 of 4,588
I recently convinced my friend to buy a mimby for his new Vanatoo's, he recently got them and just got into the audio game. He ended up buying a Mimby, Wyrd, and some usb cables to hook them up. Fedex shows up on Friday and we plug it in to see how it sounds, I reminded him the Mimby needs atleast several dozen hours to breakin and start sounding good. 

So we plug it in and wait 40 mins until we take a listen.  Everything sounds flat, grainy, there is this annoying harshness that bothers him and myself. I tell him it probably needs a few days to breakin, lets leave it plugged in and let it marinate for some time. Two days latter I came over his place. I brought some extra usb wires, reclockers, and even my Intona in hopes that it would tame the harsheness.

We take a listen.... So far so good... it's starting to open up.... few songs in and I hear the same harshness in the upper midrange. At this point the music no longer sounds good. My friend even went as far as saying that his $9 Apple dongle sounded better than Mimby .At this point he is starting to get buyers remorse.  To be fair, that dongle made the music lisenable without any harshness but was still flat and utterely boring. 

I tried different sources to rule out any possibilities that the speakers were the problem. I tried with and without Wyrd in and chain and got mixed results. In both cases the harshness was still very much there. The only thing I haven't swapped was the CCK cable and RCA's.

His chain: iPad CCK>Wyrd>Mimby> Vanatoo

Did anyone have a similar experience? Most people's initial impressions seemed to be that Mimby sounded good out of the box and only got better, how long does the unit need to be broken in for? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back