Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Apr 5, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #3,001 of 4,588
  It got warm but nothing too crazy.  I am also still in the winter months and keep my home very cool so that could be a factor.

I will keep you updated as I find out more. 

I said I would update the situation when I got my DAC back so here I am.

I received it back today.  They found nothing wrong with it so it was sent back to me unchanged.  Waste of money sending it out to California.  I am feeling like I am done with it at this point and honestly would not recommend it to anyone if this is considered normal behavior.  Time to move on to something different.  I don't need a DAC of all things to be higher maintenance than my all tube amps or my PC.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #3,002 of 4,588

I received it back today.  They found nothing wrong with it so it was sent back to me unchanged.  Waste of money sending it out to California.  I am feeling like I am done with it at this point and honestly would not recommend it to anyone if this is considered normal behavior.  Time to move on to something different.  I don't need a DAC of all things to be higher maintenance than my all tube amps or my PC.

Have your forgotten about this:

It may just be a glitch (Mike has written about this.) Any complex DSP-based product may have periodic glitches, especially when connected to noisy sources like computers. However, in an abundance of caution, I suspect we decided to take a look at this one.

If they found nothing wrong testing the unit on their end, maybe there is something on your USB end causing it to glitch.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #3,004 of 4,588

I would suggest you try it with a different USB socket.  As time goes on, they become less reproducible.  It is also possible that you just plain do not like the sonic presentation of the Yggy.  Unusual, but it does happen.  We all have and are entitled to our own perceptions.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 6, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #3,005 of 4,588
  I experienced this glitch once when switching inputs, power cycling helped. No issues since then, I'm not going to sweat it.

Yes, I had the same issue when I went a little crazy and kept switching the inputs. It happened once with my MacBook coming out of sleep. Both times a power cycle fixed it.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,006 of 4,588

I don't have a Schiit dac, sitting on the fence. I use an Aune x1s. I have experienced what you have though, so I thought I'd chime in. I ultimately traced it to an rca cable on the output. It makes noise and drops out on odd occasions. Oddly, when I go to remove it,(tight fit, twist and pull) it wakes right up and plays just fine. Oxidation or something, I don't know. It just works fine before the cable comes off so I have't gone further. I guess I am too lazy but I am leaning on the connection being too lazy, needing a pinch and twist to get back in the game.
Consider getting off of USB completely. I am using a pi and 502dac hat now with only 3 cables, iFi feeding power at the hat, ethernet and coax spdif,  Much improved over the USB setup. Win10 ,ssd's ,Fidelizer Pro, Uptone regen. My sound did improve when I added the regen and Fidelizer pro. It's a much bigger upgrade now that I skip USB altogether. I stream from the pc using Logitech Media Server and picoreplayer on the pi, small footprintl software that loads music to memory before play back.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #3,007 of 4,588
Black Modi Multibit now available on Schiit website! Now I just need the cash to buy it together with black Jotunheim...

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #3,008 of 4,588
I just bought the mimby, i wonder how big will be the improvement between my Hifimediy 9018k2m and the mb (with a Lcd-3 and Mjolnir).

250€, that's quite a lot for me for a dac. I'm really hoping for a big step up.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,009 of 4,588

Agreed, I own a Mojo and am well aware of brain burn-in with it and other dacs. I easily picked up on Mimby's unique sound signature and enjoyed listening to it for some time until I heard that harshness in the upper frequencies (sounds like distortion). When my friend got the Wyrd and Mimby he hooked it up himself, a theory I have is that the PSU either isn't plugged in all the way and Is a bit loose, or it is defective and not supplying enough voltage to Mimby. Or it could be Mimby's usb port that's a lemon. I don't know...

Today or tomorrow I'm going to come by to do some more testing (and to isolate components). Most likely Mimby will be RMA'd if the problem can't be fixed.

Wyrd won't fix any of those problems.
Wyrd is to fix cutting out / static problems that happen when the Power supply from the USB port is not linear due to cheap motherboard capacitors.

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #3,010 of 4,588
  I just bought the mimby, i wonder how big will be the improvement between my Hifimediy 9018k2m and the mb (with a Lcd-3 and Mjolnir).

It will be a step up, really. You are jumping from a portable Delta Sigma DAC to a "proper" desktop R2R DAC. YMMV as per usual in the audiophile world!

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,012 of 4,588
  People's ears and opinions are so subjective, not to mention, when you change one component, your brain is basically being reprogrammed. Often people talk about this incredibly period of breakin, where the component is changing drastically, but in reality, it is their brain adjusting to the new sound. When you listen to the same pairing of components for days, months, years, and then you change, you will not really hear accurately. We are creatures of habit, so a breakin period is absolutely required, but not for the electronics, for your brain.

Anyways, harshness is a term thrown around so much here, who knows what it actually means. I would say keep listening for a week or 2. If in that period, nothing has changed, contact schiit about it.

Ehh, my personal belief is that both versions of "burn in" are valid, and vary in importance and extent with each piece of equipment; and in the case of brain burn-in, from person to person.

I just purchased a suite of Definitive Technology speakers for my HT setup a couple weeks ago...and in the documentation, they half-jokingly refer to it as "conditioning" :)

I'm not trying to start (yet another) long-winded discussion on the matter, so that's all I'll say on the subject.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #3,014 of 4,588

When I went from my Hifime 9018 to my Bifrost uber it cleaned up the harshness sometimes shrilliness of the upper mids/treble that some of my headphones or earbuds were showing.  I think that alone will be a noticable improvement for you.  From my reading the Mimby is smoother and more organic than the bifrost uber so your improvement should be more than mine.  Also, you have better headphones and amp than I do so maybe that will magnify the the improvement you see over what I got.   Hope So!!

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #3,015 of 4,588
I had my Mimby exactly one week and I am happy with it.  It's stacked with Asgard 2 using the PYST 6" RCA cables. It's getting too much heat from Asgard.  I like to put Mimby side by side with Asgard. 6" cable is too short.  Please recommend me the RCA cable I can use.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back