Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 24, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,866 of 4,588
ess sabre dac in my oppo and dac in my sony cd/sacd player.

HA-2?

I hear no real difference between the M8 and the D30 and the Fulla2 lol

They all resolve about the same and I can listen to all of them for hours.
The K1 is clearly worse, but its also using its own little amp chip which makes the comparison different.

I had the opportunity to test the M8 and M9 several times in the past, by using the same source and the same songs.
Honestly I always thought that those were overpriced.
In fact now, in China, all the shops started to sell 10-15% lower than the tag price.
IMHO, this is very significative in a market where the prices are keeping going up.
Were those somehow overpriced? Maybe.

Regarding the SQ, and again this is my very personal opinion, at a certain level, nowadays the DAC is the least important component in terms of music signature.
If I had to spend my budget, I would put much more on the headphones and the amp, rather than the DAC.
Something like Mimby is already spectacular in that price range.
A customer does really need to have a good amp and a very good pair of headphones to start enjoying the differences between a Mimby and something really superior.
Don't get me wrong please, I am not saying that the other Schiit (or other good brands) DAC's are not worth to be purchased; what I meant is that don't expect to hear significant differences just "side-grading" the DAC.
Best to change the cans first.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #2,867 of 4,588
Regarding the SQ, and again this is my very personal opinion, at a certain level, nowadays the DAC is the least important component in terms of music signature.

I have a very different opinion. I think the DAC is one of the most important components of the audio system. The quality of the DAC affects every component in the system. while it is true that a great DAC won't make poor audio components sound great, a lower quality DAC will make great audio components sound less great. I wouldn't buy a $250 DAC to use in a $10,000 setup.

I still own a Modi Multibit......but it does not sound nearly as good as my Yggdrasil.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #2,868 of 4,588
  I hear no real difference between the M8 and the D30 and the Fulla2 lol
They all resolve about the same

Get an ODAC and be done with it? That'll save us a truckload of threadcrapping here too so it's a win-win
L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2,869 of 4,588
I have a very different opinion. I think the DAC is one of the most important components of the audio system. The quality of the DAC affects every component in the system. while it is true that a great DAC won't make poor audio components sound great, a lower quality DAC will make great audio components sound less great. I wouldn't buy a $250 DAC to use in a $10,000 setup.

I still own a Modi Multibit......but it does not sound nearly as good as my Yggdrasil.
I had the opportunity to test the M8 and M9 several times in the past, by using the same source and the same songs.
In fact now, in China, all the shops started to sell 10-15% lower than the tag price.
IMHO, this is very significative in a market where the prices are keeping going up.

If I had to spend my budget, I would put much more on the headphones and the amp, rather than the DAC.
A customer does really need to have a good amp and a very good pair of headphones to start enjoying the differences between a Mimby and something really superior.
Don't get me wrong please, I am not saying that the other Schiit (or other good brands) DAC's are not worth to be purchased; what you meant is that don't expect to hear significant differences just "side-grading" the DAC.

I disagree. DAC is the second most important element in the chain, after the headphones. Then the Amp, cables, interconnects, power, and so on

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #2,870 of 4,588
Originally Posted by tafens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It would be interesting to know (has anyone had the time to test yet?) if the new Modi Multibit needs a lot of warm up time to sound its best?

Originally Posted by Baldr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because it is smaller and 16 bit, it is relatively quick. (24 hours is most of the way.)

Was it a joke? How does the number of bits have anything to do with the warmup time?

I was trying to track down the origin of the notion here that the Modi Multibit should be left on all the time. This is the post by Baldr I found. It doesn't sound serious. Does it?

When my Modi Multibit is on (over 24 hours) and idle it's 35oC on the surface, when playing it quickly becomes 45oC. Room temperature is about 22oC. So, what's the point of leaving it on all the time when the idle temperature is significantly different from the operating temperature? When it starts decoding it warms up even if it was kept on. What is the difference if it warms up from 35oC to 45oC or from 22oC to 45oC?

The spec sheet for the AD5547 DAC recommends periodic recalibrations because of temperature changes. I don't know if Modi Multibit does it internally. If it does, then the temperature doesn't matter and there is no need for warmup. If it doesn't, then well... accordingly to Baldr it needs to be on AND playing/decoding for 24 hours for a good warmup - because the idle temperature is significantly different from the operating temperature.

Also... given that most modern electronics is designed to fail, so we can buy a new version sooner, I doubt the manufacturers would recommend a gentle mode of operation.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #2,872 of 4,588

Don't get me wrong please, I am not saying that the other Schiit (or other good brands) DAC's are not worth to be purchased; what you meant is that don't expect to hear significant differences just "side-grading" the DAC.

I disagree. DAC is the second most important element in the chain, after the headphones. Then the Amp, cables, interconnects, power, and so on

So you agree that the most important element in the chain are the headphones.
Great minds think alike.
:blush::blush::blush:

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #2,873 of 4,588
The DAC is less significant than the Amp.

PC magazines have proved this in the past.
Especially where most music is 16/44.1 and even some of the 24/96 music is just upsampled but even the cheapest DACs do that these days.
The resolution of most major DAC's is comparable, and every major DAC is "multibit" just not the same as the Modi Multibit. But like TI's advanced segment is a multi-bit processing system that does resolve basically all of the bits by upsampling and then splitting the samples into segments to feed through like 3-6 decoders at a time.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #2,874 of 4,588

Don't get me wrong please, I am not saying that the other Schiit (or other good brands) DAC's are not worth to be purchased; what I meant is that don't expect to hear significant differences just "side-grading" the DAC.

How does the M9 sound? I saw it at $450 but there was NO WAY I was going to spend that kind of money considering.

The M8 IMHO gets way too hot for what it is!

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #2,875 of 4,588
  Especially where most music is 16/44.1 and even some of the 24/96 music is just upsampled but even the cheapest DACs do that these days.
The resolution of most major DAC's is comparable, and every major DAC is "multibit" just not the same as the Modi Multibit. But like TI's advanced segment is a multi-bit processing system that does resolve basically all of the bits by upsampling and then splitting the samples into segments to feed through like 3-6 decoders at a time.

What are you smoking?

Sure, all DACs are about the same.....

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #2,876 of 4,588
From the windows panel i can choose the frequency rate... What should i choose? The highest is the better? Or i choose 16/44 that matches apple music? I doubt there will be any audible difference.. Ma it worth a try

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #2,877 of 4,588
From the windows panel i can choose the frequency rate... What should i choose? The highest is the better? Or i choose 16/44 that matches apple music? I doubt there will be any audible difference.. Ma it worth a try

Choose the same setting as of the music you play (or most of your music anyway, if you want to set it once and not change it later). If the setting does not match the music, then Windows will resample it.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #2,878 of 4,588
What are you smoking?

Sure, all DACs are about the same.....

I mean they really are. The DAC chips themselves.
Atleast in the same tier.
Like ESS 9018,AK 4490, PCM5102A, CS4398...
They are all top end chips and all capable of the same thing and for the most part they resolve the same when implemented properly.
Usually what is better is the analog stages and the clocking (for DS implementations).
I can tell you that alot of the difference in sound is the tuning done by the manufacturers.
Those with more experience or knowledge will make better sounding products usually.
But hell, today in the world of cheap ICs you can get amazing quality for a low price.
I know that growing up I saved up for "good" sound cards and better speakers and now the FiiO K1 sounds better than everything I had as a kid for a fraction of the price.

So I'm not saying to not buy good stuff, or that nothing but cheap parts are worth it. This is mostly a hobby after all and you should buy what makes you happy and what you think sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back