Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba"
Aug 19, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #241 of 383
1629410749512.jpeg

All three amps provide a good experience and they all have similarities and differences....you have to decide with your ears and wallet.....

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #246 of 383
@adydula do Focal handle the Crack OK? I have them and know they are low impedance/sensitive.
Focal Clears are 55 ohm so the match here is not optimal. The BH Crack is designed to match headphones 120 ohms and higher..it wil drive them but the low end might not
be to you liking....the TUBA has a better drive with the Clears.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #248 of 383
Anyone have some impressions to share about using the Tuba with a ZMF Atticus or Aeolus?
I've had every ZMF and found they were all excellent on the Tuba. With tube rolling to my favorite Amperex tubes I was very surprised by how little gap there was between it and the Pendant SE on stock tubes when I first received that. It's pretty neutral for a tube amp, somewhat airy which made for a good combo with the warm Atticus. Sold the Aeolus before I got the Tuba. Especially for the price, I think it would be hard to find a much better amp, though I've not heard the Echo which gets a lot of praise from ZMF owners. I certainly preferred it over the tube modes in the iFi Pro iCAN I had at the time with upgraded tubes.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #251 of 383
Can anyone give advice on pairing the Tuba with the 120 ohm AKG K612 Pro? People say the AGK needs more current rather than high voltage to sound right probably that's why it is not a good match with my OTL amp. So far the best match I found for the AKG has been my MARANTZ PM8005 'current feedback' integrated amp. All fine but it could do with some more punch in the low freq.

Edit: Also, low output impedance is recommended for the AKG. The Tuba specs say that the LOW out is 5 ohm, which should be fine.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #254 of 383
Anyone know what tube I can run through the Tuba to make it a bit richer with a tad more bass?
The stock tubes + EQ. If you're trying to change the sound of your headphones by buying and swapping out tubes you're in for a frustrating and futile journey.

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #255 of 383
Anyone know what tube I can run through the Tuba to make it a bit richer with a tad more bass?
Yes, get these "6BQ5/EL84 Early Amperex white label type OEM, 1950s with "D" getter, Holland, USED" most of the way down the page. $99 for a matched pair, though used, I've had no problems with them. I went through about 10 pairs of EL84 tubes suggested in this thread when I first got mine, trying to get back some of the bass and body I had with the iCan Pro that I was used to. The Amperex did the trick and I had hesitated and tried all the others first because at $200 per pair it seemed way too much until I found these at half the price. Ultimately I spent way more than if I'd just gone directly to an unused pair of the Amperex. Having moved onto the Pendant SE, they're also my favorite EL84s in that amp too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back