Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba"
Feb 10, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #211 of 383
I've only had my new Tuba a couple days now and am developing some impressions while tube rolling to try to hear any obvious differences. Keep in mind it's very early in burning in the amp and any of the tubes and I'm also not one who is very good at hearing differences except when very quickly A/B ing with volume matched sources, which I can't do with tubes.

My comparison is with the Pro iCAN in tube+ mode, using GE 5 stars, so not the stock GE 5670s. Volume matched using iPhone and a dB app. Since there tends to be a range within a single dB, I try to get them on the border between 2 values running pink noise. Also using the Chord TT2 via RCA to both.

This is all using 300 ohm ZMFs and mostly the Eikon. The most obvious difference is that the Tuba doesn't have the low end of the iCAN, but some of the tubes I've tried have helped, including very inexpensive Sovteks. Currently very much enjoying Electro-Harmonix EL84s. Other than that, they are pretty evenly matched, but the Tuba does seem to have an edge in airyness, and on some tracks in having a slightly wider soundstage, along with a little bit more of a romantic overall sound while also a little more sparkle. My favorite difference is that the Tuba feels a bit more energetic/exciting and that vocals are a bit more forward. Not hugely, but most obviously on the Verite Open, which can have slightly recessed vocals. On the tuba, they're more forward and closer to the experience I get with the Auteur.

Waiting on some NOS tubes I've ordered, though not the Amperex as I'd hoped. The Ei El84 are the only NOS on hand at the moment.

For the price, for it to even be competitive with an $1800 amp is pretty good, though the iCAN isn't solely a tube amp, but even if one considers the tube modes as making up half the value, that's still more than the Tuba sells for. It's also clearly a step up from the Valhalla 2 I had, even with my favorite WE-396A tubes on that.

So, so far it's meeting my hopes of being a good match with ZMFs, punching above it's price, and being overall better than the tube amp I already had. I've only ever heard the few tube amps I've owned and nothing in the $1000+ range. I'll probably get the Pendant eventually, which also uses some of the same tubes which is nice.

Update: Ended up getting the 58/59 Amperex D-getters, which I really should have started with. 10 sets of tubes later, and these are really on another level compared to the rest I bought, though also the most expensive. Interestingly, I also got some other used D-getters, unknown year, and just nowhere near as good.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #216 of 383
Just put in the 10m EL84 Mullards and wow, it sounds amazing...
60hub7.jpg

brcgew.jpg

Apr 9, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #217 of 383
60hub7.jpg

brcgew.jpg
Nice! I was watching those tubes, and almost bought them several times. I ended up buying the Mullard EL84 RX1 (first version) Foil Getters instead, from same seller. Both are killer tubes and as good as it gets!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #218 of 383
Nice! I was watching those tubes, and almost bought them several times. I ended up buying the Mullard EL84 RX1 (first version) Foil Getters instead, from same seller. Both are killer tubes and as good as it gets!
60hub7.jpg
Would either of you mind sharing the seller?

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #220 of 383
Interested in this headphone amp but wondering how it will work with Node 2i? Currently run my Node 2i to my Primaluna tube amp but wanting to jump on the headphone scene. Connection will be rca as that is how Node process full mqa unfold. Will this work with this headphone amp? Headphones I'm considering are the Focal Clear. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #221 of 383
Has anyone tried the Tuba with all open-back ZMFs? I read a lot about its synergy with the Auteur and Eikon and wondering if it also works well with the Aeolus and Verite Open. I am looking to build a system around the ZMF open back trinity and considering the Tuba as the main amp. The other options I am looking into are the Liquid Platinum and Feliks Echo MKII (and maybe the Cayin HA-1A MK2). I have posted/will post a similar question in their respective threads, not to hijack this one. Any thoughts/suggestions are most welcome. Cheers!

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #223 of 383
Has anyone tried the Tuba with all open-back ZMFs? I read a lot about its synergy with the Auteur and Eikon and wondering if it also works well with the Aeolus and Verite Open. I am looking to build a system around the ZMF open back trinity and considering the Tuba as the main amp. The other options I am looking into are the Liquid Platinum and Feliks Echo MKII (and maybe the Cayin HA-1A MK2). I have posted/will post a similar question in their respective threads, not to hijack this one. Any thoughts/suggestions are most welcome. Cheers!

I have and auteur, Eikon, and Aeolus. The tuba pairs super well with all of these. To be honest, I don’t think I have ever particularly disliked the tuba with any of my headphones. The auteur is my latest of the Zmf cans and even though I like the tuba with it, I find myself enjoying the echo with the auteur even more. The echo gives a more relaxed presentation than the tuba and somehow to me it pairs well with the “chill nature” of the auteur like it emphasized what the auteur is so great at and adds a tad bit more bass than the tuba.

I think think the tuba and echo are both great and I enjoy most my headphones on both but I do find the tuba a safer bet it has closer to a neutral tuning, it is hard to find something that doesn’t work. I have the echo mk1 however, which i got for only like 650 so I dunno if the exho competes as well with the tuba at the new 900 dollar price point.

overall, if you want more relaxed, while retaining all detail, and more of a “tube” character, the echo it a great choice. If you want a more energetic, almost solid state frequency response, but with the added special recreation of tubes, the tuba is more suited.

my echo is still rocking stock tubes while my tuba has rca 7189 tubes.

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #225 of 383
I've used mine with all ZMFs except the Aeolus and it's pretty great with all of them, especially the Verite Open and Eikon. With Amperex NOS 1950s d-getter tubes it's spectacular. I recently replaced mine with the Pendant SE which is more than triple the price. I went back to the Tuba right before selling and was really surprised how good it was in comparison, with little difference on some songs. On others the differences are larger and I'm still very happy I got the Pendant. But for the price, I think the Tuba punches way above its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back