Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba"
Jun 4, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #226 of 383
I've used mine with all ZMFs except the Aeolus and it's pretty great with all of them, especially the Verite Open and Eikon. With Amperex NOS 1950s d-getter tubes it's spectacular. I recently replaced mine with the Pendant SE which is more than triple the price. I went back to the Tuba right before selling and was really surprised how good it was in comparison, with little difference on some songs. On others the differences are larger and I'm still very happy I got the Pendant. But for the price, I think the Tuba punches way above its price.
Great stuff! Thanks.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #229 of 383
I've been lurking here for a bit, and am interested in possibly getting one. One question I have is exactly how well will the Tuba drive planars - specifically HE400i and Aeon2 Closed?
The tuba didn't do that hot with the aeon 2 when I had both. The volume didn't go up that high and it sounded lifeless. However, the tuba did very well with my audezes since they are little high on the impedance level. Dca headphones are really low impedance and didn't do very well with tube amps, unless you're talking about hybrid.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #230 of 383
I've been lurking here for a bit, and am interested in possibly getting one. One question I have is exactly how well will the Tuba drive planars - specifically HE400i and Aeon2 Closed?
I wouldn't recommend it. I tried it with my HiFiMans, and while it's a great amp, it doesn't have the juice to drive planars.

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #231 of 383
I had also recently looked at this because I have the Aeon R/T.
I know what you mean.
It ran quite well on the Little Dot 1+, but unfortunately it broke down on me.
And I looked for something else and found 2 hybrid amps where I think it fits.
Spontaneously and by chance I saw the Woo Audio Wa6 but it seems to be a bit limited.
Although the Tuba doesn't cut a bad figure otherwise.

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #232 of 383
I had the tuba here reviewed it and bought one. Also had the aeon 2 opens and the pairing is ok but not great. The aeons need more current with their low impedance. The tuba really shines with higher and more sensitive impedance headphones. Senn hd650 or 800's are very good pairings..

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #233 of 383
I want to say the Tuba is indeed a wonderful amp and a very soildly built with a 10 year warranty. The only other manufacturer that offers a better warranty that I am aware of is Bryston with a 20 yr warranty.

The simple design here, Class A, using transformers in the output vs a OTL amp like a Crack and other lower cost amps and being a parafeed design makes this a special amp in its own right.

One thing you learn with this crazy hobby is amps have differing attributes but all have the end goal or aim to provide good amplification. Its just you need to understand the various implications of how an amp works and pairs electrically with the various headphones (loads) etc...

Enjoy the ride!
Alex

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #234 of 383
Having the low z output was also an huge factor for me - nothing I own is remotely hard to drive. I've also read good things about the EL84 tubes.
I do have a Vali2, which does drive my planars well, but there's a part of me that wants full tube - hybrids just don't seem to capture the best of the tubes.
So far, the Tuba checks most off most of my list, I was just hoping it had enough current for planars

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #236 of 383
I want to say the Tuba is indeed a wonderful amp and a very soildly built with a 10 year warranty. The only other manufacturer that offers a better warranty that I am aware of is Bryston with a 20 yr warranty.

The simple design here, Class A, using transformers in the output vs a OTL amp like a Crack and other lower cost amps and being a parafeed design makes this a special amp in its own right.

One thing you learn with this crazy hobby is amps have differing attributes but all have the end goal or aim to provide good amplification. Its just you need to understand the various implications of how an amp works and pairs electrically with the various headphones (loads) etc...

Enjoy the ride!
Alex
Jim, who owns the company and builds them even went above and beyond the warranty for me and the person I sold mine to! USPS damaged it and I made sure Jim knew this was my reselling it and expected no warranty coverage. He offered to fix it for the cost of shipping but I insisted on more than that, so he added the cost of parts. 50 bucks shipped and that was all he charged. That's about as good as it gets for customer service. I loved the Tuba, especially with Amperex NOS tubes which I now use in my Pendant. I bought it knowing the Pendant was coming a few months later so always intended to sell it. I recommend the Tuba amp without hesitation.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #240 of 383
I had the TUBA and the Mainline here for many weeks.
Both excellent amps.
The Mainline costs more, works well over a broader set of headphones.
Its DIY and you need to build it.
The TUBA for its price is ready, set, go...
Lots of EL 84 tube swapping...
The tubes in the Mainline are about it...
Both amps to me are not that soft warm, mushy tubey sound.
More like a good clean amp....amazingly so.
The only weakness for the TUBA is driving really low imedance planars.
Senns, Grados, 50 + ohm cans are excellent with the Tuba.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back