Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba"
Nov 29, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #376 of 383
Swapped in the [15v/3.5A] iPower Elite: smoother/quiter operation, rendering finer detail, greater resolution and transparency, more distinct separation and 3-dimensionality, fuller tonal body, better sense of bass weight, etc. vis-à-vis the [15v/1.5A] iPower X.

[Guess I didn't realize what I was missing! For $109, though, the iPower X holds its own in a highly respectable manner, but it is simply not the Elite's match.]

Glad I did the comparison. Glad, too, that the Hagerman is sounding its best w/r/t DC power supply. The Tuba is an exceptional amp, made even more exceptional when paired with the iFi iPower Elite.

[Might swap the 15v/1.5A iPower X for a 5v/3.0A one and upgrade the PS on the USB Disruptor.]

Basic chain:
Neumann NDH-30 or Audeze MM-500<--Hagerman Tuba [2x Russian 6N14N]<--S.M.S.L. D400EX . . . Spotify Premium
[See signature for more detail.]

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #378 of 383
It seems that the tuba has been sold out and no longer available. My friend who wanted to buy one , informed me that he couldn't find the tuba product in the Hagerman audio website.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #379 of 383
It seems that the tuba has been sold out and no longer available. My friend who wanted to buy one , informed me that he couldn't find the tuba product in the Hagerman audio website.
Sorry to hear about this. Jim builds excellent audio products that are very reasonably priced for the sound
quality you get. Still using my Hagerman Audio Castanet (Jim's first headphone amplifier circa 2008), and
continue to be very happy with it. I wonder if he'll design another headphone amplifier? I know that he has repurposed
the Tuba chassis for some of his phono amplifiers. You may want to email him to see if he has any Tubas left over.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #380 of 383
Sorry to hear about this. Jim builds excellent audio products that are very reasonably priced for the sound
quality you get. Still using my Hagerman Audio Castanet (Jim's first headphone amplifier circa 2008), and
continue to be very happy with it. I wonder if he'll design another headphone amplifier? I know that he has repurposed
the Tuba chassis for some of his phono amplifiers. You may want to email him to see if he has any Tubas left over.
I am interested in his trumpet phono for my vinyl speaker setup that I am going setup end of this year. It looks promising.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #381 of 383
Sometimes it’s good to follow your instincts. I’d been considering one for months and months, but didn’t make it a priority. Then a while back I saw a rumor that the price had gone up significantly. Last month I saw a used one at a decent price, but couldn’t pull the trigger until I sold one of my listed items. Of course it was no longer available once that happened. Looked at Hagerman’s website and the price was actually lower than it used to be. The “only 3 left” note seemed pretty final to me for some reason. So I guess I got one of the last 3. Very happy so far. Glad I could swing it. I make more impulse buys when I’m trying not to make any. Oh well. Waiting on new tubes now because why would I leave well enough alone. It’s an affliction. I’ve got some NOS Brimar and Siemens on the way. Mostly been listening with Aeolus and Verite Open, but I did try some low Z cans, Sundara and LCD-X.

Is it true that if you buy a Tuba you’re required to get some Grados?

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #382 of 383
Sometimes it’s good to follow your instincts. I’d been considering one for months and months, but didn’t make it a priority. Then a while back I saw a rumor that the price had gone up significantly. Last month I saw a used one at a decent price, but couldn’t pull the trigger until I sold one of my listed items. Of course it was no longer available once that happened. Looked at Hagerman’s website and the price was actually lower than it used to be. The “only 3 left” note seemed pretty final to me for some reason. So I guess I got one of the last 3. Very happy so far. Glad I could swing it. I make more impulse buys when I’m trying not to make any. Oh well. Waiting on new tubes now because why would I leave well enough alone. It’s an affliction. I’ve got some NOS Brimar and Siemens on the way. Mostly been listening with Aeolus and Verite Open, but I did try some low Z cans, Sundara and LCD-X.

Is it true that if you buy a Tuba you’re required to get some Grados?
Not necessarily. Its the other way round ,if you use Grados , Hagerman tuba is one of the amps worth a recommendation. Its clean , detailed , clear with a touch of tube warmth and absent of hiss. Its volume gain is perfect for Grado or other high sensitivity headphones. Drawback of this amp is that its not the warm , bassy gooey melt in your chair type of sound that people normally expect out of tube amps and its not powerful enough for planar headphones. Tuba can sound bright if - headphone, music recording , tube used and dac are on the bright side.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #383 of 383
I am interested in his trumpet phono for my vinyl speaker setup that I am going setup end of this year. It looks promising.
Sounds good. Hope you enjoy it! 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back