Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba"
Oct 21, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #348 of 383
Just added the entry level 9v/2.0A iFi Silent Power (iPower2) to the Wyred4Sound Recovery, along the USB route into the SMSL M400.

Wow!

I am hearing improvements with the iPower2+W4S+M400 (e.g. quieter background, enhanced low level detail retrieval, improved 3-D spatiality/imaging, etc.) on-par with, or perhaps even greater than, that of adding the iPower Elite to the Hagerman Tuba(!). I might be able to get away with a less expensive iPower2 on the Hagerman and upgrade the PS to the W4S+M400 with the iPower X (and save money on the Elite). Would have to a/b the Hagerman|Elite + W4S|iPower2 vs. Hagerman|iPower2 + W4S|iPower X . . .

[Do I really want to do this???]

With the Hagerman, this has put the Edition Eleven back into competition (with the NDH-30): transformational(!). The Ultrasones sound even more exceptional, the Tuba now capitalizing even more on the Eleven's speed and detail retrieval while developing tonal and dynamic subtleties lacking with the NDH-30. Recabled with all-silver UPOCC solid core wire and the Eleven pull a bit further ahead.

(Am considering an iPower X for the Roku, too.)

Also, have a pair of NOS RCA 6BQ5 arriving Monday for the Tuba.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #350 of 383
S.M.S.L. M400-->Hagerman Audio Labs Tuba|2x Mullard EL84|iFi iPower Elite-->Ultrasone Edition 11|NeoTech UPOCC solid core silver cable . . . John Williams . . .

This might be the BEST I've heard from the Edition 11 so far.

2x RCA 6BQ5 scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Upcoming comparison*: (1) Schiit LYR 3|2x RCA 6J5 v. (2) Hagerman Tuba|2x RCA 6BQ5.

Option (1) with the Edition 11 has been the reigning champion so far.

[* Deo volente, after finishing the sink install downstairs.]

. . . cannot overstress the critical importance of adding the iFi iPower Elite and Silent Power (iPower2) to the set-up(!).

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #351 of 383
Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #352 of 383
Have the system all tricked out with iFi products: iSilencer+ (at Lenovo G50 USB out), iPower2 (to Wyred4Sound Recovery) and iPower Elite (to Tuba).

Things are sounding better than ever! . . . bigger: elementally and corporately, more detailed and dynamic, tonally richer/fuller, more 3-D and musically credible.

The iPowerX (to replace the iPower2) is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Plan to do a quick a/b upon arrival, Deo volente, and provide an update.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #354 of 383
No egging on required.
Truth be told, I never used the stock power cord.
Have been using a 12AWG NeoTech solid cores UPOCC cable.

How do you like the AC-14SE MKII?
Did you do an a/b between the stock power cord and the Pangea?
Have seen the write-ups on those cords in the Audio Advisor catalogues. They look like a well-thought-out design, using premium materials.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #356 of 383
The Tuba here rests on a set of Herbie's Gabon Ebony footers and is plugged into a PowerVar line conditioner.
No dampers yet for the EL84.
I use the older Herbie's HAL-O dampers, to good effect, on my 6SN7 tubes.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #357 of 383
I like it fine - this was one place I did Not do an a/b - I just started with it. Also have Tuba on 3 Iso-Acoustics "Grafite" feet. Plugged into AQ PowerQuest 3 conditioner. Herbie's Audio Labs RX-9 tube dampers (1 per tube).
Those RX-9 dampers look like worthwhile accoutrements for the Tuba.

Oct 25, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #358 of 383
FedEx delivery of the iPower X [9v/2.5A], previously delayed did come today!
Replaced the iPower2 that was powering the Wyred4Sound Recovery (en route to DAC). with the iPower X. Bass is fuller and tighter and overall presentation is simply more open, relaxed and free-flowing.
On sale for $79--just $10 more than the entry level iPower2--the iPower X was a great deal and useful addition.
Will be trying out the iPowerX [12v/2.0A] with the Roku later (have to get some things done outside while the weather is pleasant).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #359 of 383
Definitely have some interest in this amp (and the Lyr+ too for that matter).

How well does either pair with the HD650? How fatiguing are they? Are the highs overly bright for people with severe treble allergies? How much glare in the highs is there? Atm I'm using a Lyr 2 and there is definitely quite a lot of glare to the highs even with various different tubes, and this is with an OG Bifrost 2 source. It's got a lot of slam but I'm less interested in slam and more in comfortable long-term listening, since this will be used as a daily driver system.

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #360 of 383
Don't own the HD650 (anymore), but I do run Ultrasone and Beyerdynamic headphones, which are popularly viewed as "bright".
No inordinate treble issues with either the LYR+ or the Tuba. NOTE that I am not "treble sensitive" to begin with.
To my ears, the Hagerman [with upgraded power supply] is more detailed, refined and nuanced than the Schiit. The Schiit is a bit bolder and more "fun" sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back