Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba"
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #196 of 383
First off thanks for responding. I have a few pairs of headphones and none of them are great. I can't afford a real good pair but i have a pair of Monoprice Retros with Brainwave XXL pads, a pair of OneOdio Dj pro, and debating getting a pair of Skullcandy Crusher Evos.

I am not really expecting a great sound improvement i just want the extra power from the balanced input. I just got my Fiio BTR5 today and was kind of disappointed in how loud and punchy they are. I have a Topping NX1s and that at 70 percent would shake my head with my headphones but the Fiio i can go full vol on phone and amp and its not super loud? I am using it through Bluetooth so that may be why? I have a cord on the way to connect it directly and hope it helps. Thanks again for your help.
I think the easiest way for you to get great sound out of your existing gear would be to get a pair of Hd6xx or 650. You can get them dirt cheap used or decent price new ($150-$200). Both of those headphones allow balanced connection and they would sound great with your Fiio. They even sound great with single ended output too.

Btw lets not derail this amp/tuba thread talking about headphones. Either pm me or post a enquiry in the headphone section and a lot more peeps can help you.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #198 of 383
It's a terrific pairing with the Focal Stellia.

PSX_20200301_123321.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I was trying to find a good low impedance OTL and they're hard to come by especially in a small form factor like the Tuba! I plan on placing an order tomorrow!

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #199 of 383
Very interested to hear about the amperex tubes

Did you happen to compare them to EI tubes? I found a pair of EI tubes but honestly didn’t like them as much as the stock mullards
I actually really liked the EI tubes. I picked up a pair from Upscale Audio. Those are amazing mids. Real smooth top end with tons of air. Those worked wonders with my Focal clears at the moment. But when i came to my ZMF auteur, the EI lacked bass for my taste. The Amperex fixed that, otherwise i would have kept the EIs. Matter of fact, i still have my pair of amperex and EI, i think. Let me know if you or anyone is interested in these.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #200 of 383
Thanks for posting this! I was trying to find a good low impedance OTL and they're hard to come by especially in a small form factor like the Tuba!

The Tuba is not OTL as far as I know. I think all OTL amplifiers have high output impedance.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #202 of 383
I'm loving my Tuba. Sounds really good with Audeze LCD-2C as well as my Grados and Senns.

I'm wondering if anybody has tried an outboard power supply with it? The brick says 15v/1.67A

Is there anything out there that anybody knows about that would work? I'm had good results upgrading the power supply with amps before and am eager to try it

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #203 of 383
I'm loving my Tuba. Sounds really good with Audeze LCD-2C as well as my Grados and Senns.

I'm wondering if anybody has tried an outboard power supply with it? The brick says 15v/1.67A

Is there anything out there that anybody knows about that would work? I'm had good results upgrading the power supply with amps before and am eager to try it

Off topic but do you know how long it took you get yours? And also for designs like this they’re already designed with low noise in mind. I don’t think you’d gain any extra benefit of any real quality by upgrading an LPS but I’ll let someone speak to that who may have physically tried it.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #204 of 383
Off topic but do you know how long it took you get yours? And also for designs like this they’re already designed with low noise in mind. I don’t think you’d gain any extra benefit of any real quality by upgrading an LPS but I’ll let someone speak to that who may have physically tried it.

when I ordered mine back in may or April last year, it took less than a week to come in. I think it was closer to about 3 days. He ships them out super fast. I ordered mine at like 1 am and I had a shipping notification by the time I woke up basically lol. Damn late night drunk orders lol.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #205 of 383

I bought mine second hand so I can't comment on the wait time.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #206 of 383
Just took the plunge since I have no idea when the Glenn OTL I ordered is ever going to arrive and can sell this to pay my last payment on the Glenn. I'll mostly be using this with ZMFs, so should be a great match!

Given the lack of much of anything audio-wise in Hawaii, I was also happy to support a builder here.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #207 of 383
Just took the plunge since I have no idea when the Glenn OTL I ordered is ever going to arrive and can sell this to pay my last payment on the Glenn. I'll mostly be using this with ZMFs, so should be a great match!

Given the lack of much of anything audio-wise in Hawaii, I was also happy to support a builder here.

It is definitely a great match. I have it paired with the bifrost 2 and it’s my favorite amp for my Aeolus easily. I swap in between this and the echo with the eikons that I just got in a few weeks ago.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #208 of 383
It is definitely a great match. I have it paired with the bifrost 2 and it’s my favorite amp for my Aeolus easily. I swap in between this and the echo with the eikons that I just got in a few weeks ago.
Cool thanks! I got them too just last week. Mine will be paired with a TT2. Already have 2 other sets of tubes on the way, the Ei 84 from upscale audio and the 1959 Amperex D getters in case the stock tubes don't wow me.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #209 of 383
That's a good looking amp from a guy that knows a thing or two about designing tube gear. That Trumpet phono looks interesting as well. Good stuff guys.

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #210 of 383
Cool thanks! I got them too just last week. Mine will be paired with a TT2. Already have 2 other sets of tubes on the way, the Ei 84 from upscale audio and the 1959 Amperex D getters in case the stock tubes don't wow me.
The stock tubes do well enough but some nos tubes are definitely a worthwhile investment. I started with some soviet tubes that are pretty decent for their price, then some rca 7189’s. I want to try the ei as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back