Gustard X20 DAC
Sep 22, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #932 of 1,320
Just to let you know I installed the 16.07 version of Daphile (www.daphile.com) on my Intel G4400 and was able to process X20u NATIVE dsd256 upsampling using the default XMOS daphile drivers.  System load was only 50%. There seems to be more sound as a result. The only down  side is there is a lot of noise being generated on 24bit recordings but I have been informed this will be fixed in the next release.

Update - the noise issue has been fixed in a beta release. I have found using daphile is the easiest way to get native dsd256 for optimum value from the x20u.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #933 of 1,320
Hello

I'm thinking about using this kind of cable, cut the cable and make connections there

To connect a Xmos U208 to the gustard

What dou you think ??

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #934 of 1,320
  Hello

I'm thinking about using this kind of cable, cut the cable and make connections there

What dou you think ??

I suppose that could work if you are very careful and match wires to correct pins.  But for best results you really want to use silver wire for the DSD lines and keep them short 50mm or shorter.  I used connectors like these http://www.protostack.com/connectors/dupont-connectors/male-crimp-pins-for-dupont-connectors-set-of-20  I have a crimper so it is easier, I suppose without a crimper you could solder the wire to the pin and use teflon tape to wrap the top part to avoiding shorting as these pins are very close together when installed.  Use the tiny holes to the edge of the PCIe slot for these pins they fit very nicely.  Make sure you ground both the 3.3V DSD handshake (B15) and 5V (A4) line to A3.  For the grounds and voltage lines copper is okay but for DSD use silver and keep short, shorter the better.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #935 of 1,320
Hi everyone

for 1k is this the best sounding DAC one can get? I am using a LCD 2.2F with a LYR 2 amp.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #936 of 1,320
  Hello

What dou you think ??

Just a quick heads up for those thinking of trying to use a 'standard' PCIe adapter cable (As pictured above) in the X20's slot

I tried this and it didn't work ... The PCIe standard, links several of the connector pins by VIA's and bridges etc. Which short 
out the I2S lines. The slot in the X20 is NOT compliant to the PCIe standard.

The pin method (into the edge holes) described by Quadman above, is by far easiest option. The only caveat being, that everyone 
I know using this method, is using it for DSD only. Up-sampling everything (PCM & DSD), to either DSD 256 or 512 via HQplayer.
Personally, I think DSD sounds better on the X20 than PCM, so this isn't an issue. However, if you're a dedicated PCM only user, 
you'll probably have to do some extra trial and error work to get everything up and running.

Good luck

Simon 

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #937 of 1,320

I suppose that could work if you are very careful and match wires to correct pins.  But for best results you really want to use silver wire for the DSD lines and keep them short 50mm or shorter.  I used connectors like these http://www.protostack.com/connectors/dupont-connectors/male-crimp-pins-for-dupont-connectors-set-of-20  I have a crimper so it is easier, I suppose without a crimper you could solder the wire to the pin and use teflon tape to wrap the top part to avoiding shorting as these pins are very close together when installed.  Use the tiny holes to the edge of the PCIe slot for these pins they fit very nicely.  Make sure you ground both the 3.3V DSD handshake (B15) and 5V (A4) line to A3.  For the grounds and voltage lines copper is okay but for DSD use silver and keep short, shorter the better.

Just a quick heads up for those thinking of trying to use a 'standard' PCIe adapter cable (As pictured above) in the X20's slot

I tried this and it didn't work ... The PCIe standard, links several of the connector pins by VIA's and bridges etc. Which short 
out the I2S lines. The slot in the X20 is NOT compliant to the PCIe standard.

The pin method (into the edge holes) described by Quadman above, is by far easiest option. The only caveat being, that everyone 
I know using this method, is using it for DSD only. Up-sampling everything (PCM & DSD), to either DSD 256 or 512 via HQplayer.
Personally, I think DSD sounds better on the X20 than PCM, so this isn't an issue. However, if you're a dedicated PCM only user, 
you'll probably have to do some extra trial and error work to get everything up and running.

Good luck

Simon 

Thanks so much for the info, this forum is great :)

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #938 of 1,320

My x20 arrived today with no battery for the remote. Can anyone help me out here with a battery #. Will a 2025 work?  Pretty amazing shipping. Order on the 23....dlelivered San Diego on the 26th!!

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #939 of 1,320
shenzhenaudio free shipping. How do they do that. The Chinese are really getting there act together!

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #941 of 1,320

Thanks Quadman

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #943 of 1,320
Hi all, I am exicted to received my new x-20 about two weeks ago. Finally had it burn-in continuously for 300+ hours and ready for some serious listening. While I love the sounds so far, it's very resolving, details without harshness, and great weight and bass, I have to say it does sound a bit flat sound depth wise. Sound stage and image are big but just not as pinned-point and as deep and 3-dimensional as my old DAC. Has anyone experienced improvement on as they continue their break-in process? Is any mod listed on this forum relate specifically to these aspects? My units is 100% stock... (so far) :wink:

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #944 of 1,320
  Just to let you know I installed the 16.07 version of Daphile (www.daphile.com) on my Intel G4400 and was able to process X20u NATIVE dsd256 upsampling using the default XMOS daphile drivers.  System load was only 50%. There seems to be more sound as a result. The only down  side is there is a lot of noise being generated on 24bit recordings but I have been informed this will be fixed in the next release.

With Daphile i do not see any advantage of upsampling/converting to DSD256. I do upsample pcm to 384 or 352.8 and find result GREAT and much more musical than all the windows player i've tested on the same computer.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #945 of 1,320
for anyone looking for a quick and easy dsd512 solution. the LKS usb-100 does not appear to be it.

Not sure if i have any problems with hdmi port on either gustard or lks.

:LKS will take dsd512 signal, and gustard shows its in dsd mode, but no sound. 192k signal, also no sound

LKS  via coax into gustard 192k has sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back