Gustard X20 DAC
Oct 2, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #946 of 1,320
  for anyone looking for a quick and easy dsd512 solution. the LKS usb-100 does not appear to be it.

Not sure if i have any problems with hdmi port on either gustard or lks.

:LKS will take dsd512 signal, and gustard shows its in dsd mode, but no sound. 192k signal, also no sound

LKS  via coax into gustard 192k has sound

Hey there. 

Looking at the pin-out you supplied above for the USB-100.

It seems both pin 14 and 15 get supplied the 3.3 volt trigger from the USB-100.

Since everything else seems ok (I assume pin 18 supplies the 5 volt hand shake?). 

I think pin 14 on the X20 is probably connected to earth. So, there's a good chance
that the 3.3 volts supplied to pin 14 is shorting to ground, and so causing the X20 to
malfunction.

When I was first messing with HDMI. I bought an ultra cheap £1 HDMI cable from my
local bargain shop. These tend to be badly made, which is good, as they are easy to
take to bits. I suggest doing something similar. You just need to locate the Pin 14 wire 
and cut it. If this works. Then you'll know the problem, and can get a custom cable 
made up.

Or (once you'd confirmed the pin 14 issue). Possibly, remove the R51 surface mount
resistor inside the USB-100 case. Which appears to sit just to the left of the HDMI socket.
This should in theory, break any electrical contact to this pin, and could be a possible work
around.

However, I only recommend this approach if you are a competent DIY'er, and have fully
checked in advance that this route is 100% viable.

I don't own a USB-100, and am just assuming stuff from the available interior pictures. 
So, you need to do your own research on this ...

Simon 

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #947 of 1,320

Hey there. 

Looking at the pin-out you supplied above for the USB-100.

It seems both pin 14 and 15 get supplied the 3.3 volt trigger from the USB-100.

Since everything else seems ok (I assume pin 18 supplies the 5 volt hand shake?). 

I think pin 14 on the X20 is probably connected to earth. So, there's a good chance
that the 3.3 volts supplied to pin 14 is shorting to ground, and so causing the X20 to
malfunction.

When I was first messing with HDMI. I bought an ultra cheap £1 HDMI cable from my
local bargain shop. These tend to be badly made, which is good, as they are easy to
take to bits. I suggest doing something similar. You just need to locate the Pin 14 wire 
and cut it. If this works. Then you'll know the problem, and can get a custom cable 
made up.

Or (once you'd confirmed the pin 14 issue). Possibly, remove the R51 surface mount
resistor inside the USB-100 case. Which appears to sit just to the left of the HDMI socket.
This should in theory, break any electrical contact to this pin, and could be a possible work
around.

However, I only recommend this approach if you are a competent DIY'er, and have fully
checked in advance that this route is 100% viable.

I don't own a USB-100, and am just assuming stuff from the available interior pictures. 
So, you need to do your own research on this ...

Simon 

thank you very much for that info. Not something that your average Joe like me would have picked up. funny thing is that i have soldering irons galore, hot air and regular solder/desolder. Guess i'll play around with it when the time comes.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #948 of 1,320

Hello,

So what is an easy/good way to connect PC and DAC via i2s for DSD up to 512? Maybe some interface by DIYINHK? Does it work fine?

It’s really hard to understand what to do…

Please, update about the issue!

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #949 of 1,320
I use USB from my pc to a regan, to a SU 1, I2S out of the SU 1 to a Gustard X20

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #950 of 1,320

Hello, what is “regan”? About the Singxer SU-1 (if you mean that one) isn’t it limited to DSD 256 only?

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #951 of 1,320

Hello, what is “regan”? About the Singxer SU-1 (if you mean that one) isn’t it limited to DSD 256 only?

Probably UpTone Regen...
For DSD512, i do not know any plug'n play  solution.
I'm looking for album available in DSD512 do you know some directly mastered in this format ? 

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #952 of 1,320

Hello,

So what is an easy/good way to connect PC and DAC via i2s for DSD up to 512? Maybe some interface by DIYINHK? Does it work fine?

the DIYINHK takes a fair amount of diy / soldering to implement. There is not easy way to get dsd512 at the moment.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #953 of 1,320
I don't know why DIYINHK don't build a nice box with power supply for their top-end board, complete with its accompanying VU meter display, and with spdif/aes/i2s out. Singxer's SU-1 seems to be selling well but DIYINHK has the higher rate at the moment...

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #954 of 1,320

Hello,

as ufokillerz said there is no "easy" way to do it currently.  It requires soldering and a good understanding of how to read the I2S schematic.  If you want more information and have the DIY skills read my posts #831 and #925.  I go into some detail on how to do it (831) and in post 925 I have a picture of my "finished" product.  Post 933 has the schematic for the internal I2S lines.  Get the DIYinHK DSD512 board and a dual PSU from them and you have basically what you need, plus some soldering and crimping and you will have a dac capable of DSD512.  This is a intermediate level DIY and should only be attempted if you have DIY experience.  Once you get 512 tho there will be no turning back, it is stunning.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #955 of 1,320
Hello and thanks to everyone for the answers.

@Quadman, I gave an eye to your work (congrats!) at post #806: is your Gustard X20 still so nude? Or did you close the cabinet in some way? If so, I would really like to see some new image of the machine as it was modified.

Not that I would be so scared in doing things like that, but what is the reason why you couldn't use the “official” i2s input on the back of the X20?

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #956 of 1,320
Hello and thanks to everyone for the answers.

@Quadman, I gave an eye to your work (congrats!) at post #806: is your Gustard X20 still so nude? Or did you close the cabinet in some way? If so, I would really like to see some new image of the machine as it was modified.

Not that I would be so scared in doing things like that, but what is the reason why you couldn't use the “official” i2s input on the back of the X20?

To get stable DSD512 you really need the top cover on as I found out.  if you don't you have to much white noise riding over the music.  Since #806 I shortened up my I2s wires so the top cover can go on.  For heat reasons on the OCXO clock I now run I leave the right side top open about 2 inches.  Post 925 has a more current pic of the DSD card with short leads but on that photo i still used the custom silver coax cable, since replaced by the OCXO and a Acko regulator powered from an external PSU.  I now have 3 external PSU's at the back of my X20 the DIY dual which supplies the 3.3Vdc DSD trigger, and 5Vdc which runs to the acko regulator, I currently use a bigger 2A belleson based linear PSU to provide 3.3V dc to the DIY card.

Simon has reported in this thread that using the external I2s lines has resulted in inferior SQ compared to tapping into the internal I2S lines at the USB PCIe slot

Here's a shot of the stuff behind my X20, Uptone region and the 2 PSU boards with one being a dual supply.  I put a small 40mm fan over the 2A psu as the DIY card at 512 draws over .5 amps.  Just imagine the cover on the dac, minus the last 2 inches on the right side and thats my set up.

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #957 of 1,320
  Hey HeadFi, just thought I'd give my review of this DAC. I bought the Gustard X20 because of this thread's positive comments. I am not a headphone user but I appreciate this community nonetheless so I want to contribute when I can.

I'm writing this review because the previous comments about how awesome this DAC is are correct in my view... but they didn't paint the whole picture for me and my tastes.

My previous system: JRiver Media Center PC > Schiit Wyrd (USB cleaner) > Gustard U12 (USB>SPDIF converter) > Schiit Bifrost Multibit (~600 USD) > Coincident Dynamo EL34 tube amp > Vienna Acoustics Bach floorstanding speakers.

Basically the Gustard X20 is a superb DAC. The sound is huge; palpable and weighty with a deep, powerful bass. It immediately jumps out as a luxurious, high value presentation. The sound was so big I was smiling involuntarily. DSD sounds especially awesome, so clear and tangible. I listened using the Gustard U12's HDMI I2S output into the X20.

I can't imagine a better DAC under $1000. It's a monster. Seriously, the sound is massive.

That said, this DAC was not for me. I auditioned it against a Metrum Musette ladder DAC (~1300 USD) and greatly preferred the R2R sound. The Musette's sonic character is almost identical to the Bifrost Multibit, just clearer with better image focus, air, and depth. Instruments sound authentic, like listening to microphone feeds in a recording studio. The Musette sound isn't huge or mindblowing like the X20... but to my ears it's right.

I mainly listen to acoustic jazz and classical (mainly symphonies, concertos, and solo piano). 3D reverb and realistic instrument timbre are my highest priorities.

My problem with the Gustard X20 is that all instruments had a comparably poor timbre, like the difference between an electric piano and a real one. The difference was not subtle at all. Along the same vein, reverb and the studio recording ambience were sorely lacking for my taste. Collectively the X20 made everything sound like synthesized instruments, not like microphone feeds coming from a real room.

I chalk all this up to the difference between Sabre and R2R. This conclusion may be an oversimplification but even so I don't see myself trying another Sabre-based product.

If I had never heard ladder DACs... or mainly listened to rock/EDM/pop/rap and didn't care about hearing an acoustic soundstage that sounds like all the musicians are playing in one room together... I'd be utterly thrilled with the X20. It just doesn't suit my priorities at all. I consider it a fantastic product just the same. The sound is HUGE and DSD sounds noticeably smoother, blacker, and fuller than lower resolutions.

One note of caution. I bought the Gustard DAC directly from Shenzhen Audio's website. If I didn't like it I expected to return it within 30 days. At the time of this post their website policy clearly states I should expect a full refund, minus shipping. But when I contacted them to find out exactly how much they would deduct for shipping they said I'd get 80% of the sales price back ("because it's opened we have to send it back to the factory") and they wouldn't state what the shipping deduction would be.

The customer support rep I traded emails with was clearly not fluent in English. When I pointed him to their own website policy he simply reiterated that I would not be receiving anything near a full refund. I'm in the USA and didn't have any real avenue to fight them on this. And I wasn't about to spend $150 (yes) shipping it back to them for some undetermined refund amount. So Instead I sold the DAC on eBay to a lucky buyer. Future customers: be advised.

Hey Kaylu, Just ran across your post while researching some mods to my X20 which is at 85 hrs of burn in. Its just starting to open up and giving me goosebumbs. Your post pretty much mimic's what I am feeling about this DAC. Fabulous resolution and detail. BIG soundstage, great bass and gentle highs....but, the sound to my ears is too digital. Im coming from a Bifrost MB and liked the sound but felt is was too much of a wimp. My question is...did you do any mods? Didn't sound like you did, and I wonder if they would give me a more analog sound. Right now Im considering retuning the DAC but your post put a stop to that idea.People need to know that Shenzhen is not a trustworthy company and not deal with them until they back up what they state in there ads. If they want to do business in the States!  Given your problem I will probably mod the DAC and keep it for awhile before selling it. Its a great DAC thats for sure

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #958 of 1,320
  Hey Kaylu, Just ran across your post while researching some mods to my X20 which is at 85 hrs of burn in. Its just starting to open up and giving me goosebumbs. Your post pretty much mimic's what I am feeling about this DAC. Fabulous resolution and detail. BIG soundstage, great bass and gentle highs....but, the sound to my ears is too digital. Im coming from a Bifrost MB and liked the sound but felt is was too much of a wimp. My question is...did you do any mods? Didn't sound like you did, and I wonder if they would give me a more analog sound. Right now Im considering retuning the DAC but your post put a stop to that idea.People need to know that Shenzhen is not a trustworthy company and not deal with them until they back up what they state in there ads. If they want to do business in the States!  Given your problem I will probably mod the DAC and keep it for awhile before selling it. Its a great DAC thats for sure

So it sounds like for pop/rock, the X20 is a better match vs. the Bimby?

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #959 of 1,320

Oh yah, This things loves rock

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #960 of 1,320

Reading at Kaylu review remind me the out of the box X20. Burning is long at least 100 to 200h. I'm familiar with sabre chip based dac and i have to agree that some DAC sound metallic when the output stage is not dynamic enough and lack of current.
Once the DAC was burned no metallic sound at all.
You also have to pay attention the the ClickMode -> Auto used if you feed by USB.
Also i always use Sharp filter with PCM and 70KHz with DSD.

I also did A/B comparison with Metrum Musette both DAC burned. We used some track of classical guitar, solo piano, organ music and even Motorhead, Sepultura, Metallica tracks..
For me the Metrum was really musical and detailed some of the listener preferred it as it sound warmer and a bit more vinyl like.
To my ear the X20 was more dynamic and more balanced and the soundstage was more precise/realistic specially when using a tube amp.
(we used the output level from -32 to -12).

The fight between R2R / NOS / and DeltaSigma DAC is not finished and you can find great device in each category (Totaldac DAC d1-dual/ Audial Model S USB /Gustard X20)  all depend to your taste and feeling..

For the Mods :
- changing the fuse and the power cable, [Reverse possible if you need customer service]
- braid cables
- remove on/of switch, relay and fuse holder.
- additional damping/shielding
- revisiting output stage

You can even find someone to do it for you.... http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Gustard_X20_Mods.html   

I only changed the fuse and the power cable on mine and was lucky as the internal card was defective and got it replaced by GustArd paying shipping back to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back