Gustard U18
Jan 14, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #1,442 of 1,972
Sorry for my ignorance, but I do not see BNC out in this picture...

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 4.52.58 PM.png
Oh ok, I have used Balanced coax in AES with my DAC. If it is 75 ohm BNC and gives around 500mv then should work fine.

Jan 15, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #1,443 of 1,972
I am sure this has been addressed before but I continue to be a bit confused. My U18 will display 88.2 and the R26 will display 44.1 MQA / OFS. In this example the two numbers don't align. But there are times when they do align for example 96 sample rate for MQA / OFS or non MQA / OFS sample rate of 44.1 or 48. What causes this? Is this due to the unfolding of the MQA signal? What is the correct sample rate, I assume what I hear is what the DAC is processing? Regardless it sounds great, just curious. BTW the signal from the U18 is being fed into the R26 via i2s if that info helps for an explanation. Thank you in advance.
For future reference see below from Gustard directly, just incase the above is asked again.

1. When U18 is transmitting MQA signals, U18 will expand the mqa core layer. The core sample rate is always 88.2khz or 96khz. The core signal also contains information about the actual sampling rate of the MQA. The core signal is a package, and the rate of this package is always 88.2khz or 96khz.

2. When r26 receives the MQA core signal, it will perform a fully expanded operation, and the final expanded sampling rate is the sampling rate information after OFS. This sampling rate prevails.

When the MQA MQA. OFS is displayed on the R26 oled, it is the full expansion of the MQA.

ofs.png

You can rest assured that your settings are completely correct.

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #1,445 of 1,972
I currently have the U18 connected to the R26 via an Audioquest Forest 48 HDMI.
In my opinion, this connection set up I like more than ethernet +/- FMCs
However, I'm wondering if a different/better HDMI cable would help with sound quality?
(I find the U18 is clearer, more detailed, more analytical, but ethernet is a little more rich, louder, "fun")

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #1,446 of 1,972
I'm using a Blue Jeans Cables FE I2S HDMI cable (I've a 30cm & 60cm) on the advice of many here as being one of the best sounding cables <USD150. Reputedly it beats that Aliexpress 'AV' silver cable (cant recall the exact name sorry)

But I understand per @MartinWT of this thread the BJC FE is well and truly eclipsed by the Tubulus Argentus. I suspect that with the Argentus there's a very good chance my Zen/U18 chain would achieve more than parity with the R26 internal streamer (HQP NAA) which I still preferred the last time I compared them.

Despite keeping my ear out, I am not aware of any cables price-wise in between the two that have strong recommendations as being better than the BJC FE. If I've overlooked any I'd be keen to hear about em.

@duffer5 - what I2S HDMI cable do you use?

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #1,447 of 1,972
I'm using a Blue Jeans Cables FE I2S HDMI cable (I've a 30cm & 60cm) on the advice of many here as being one of the best sounding cables <USD150. Reputedly it beats that Aliexpress 'AV' silver cable (cant recall the exact name sorry)

But I understand per @MartinWT of this thread the BJC FE is well and truly eclipsed by the Tubulus Argentus. I suspect that with the Argentus there's a very good chance my Zen/U18 chain would achieve more than parity with the R26 internal streamer (HQP NAA) which I still preferred the last time I compared them.

Despite keeping my ear out, I am not aware of any cables price-wise in between the two that have strong recommendations as being better than the BJC FE. If I've overlooked any I'd be keen to hear about em.

I am using this cable https://aoshida-audio.com/products/gustard-iis-cable but I believe it has been discontinued / no longer available which is a pity because it is one robust and well made cable. But any decent quality HDMI cable should work without issue according to Gustard.

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #1,448 of 1,972
I am using this cable https://aoshida-audio.com/products/gustard-iis-cable but I believe it has been discontinued / no longer available which is a pity because it is one robust and well made cable. But any decent quality HDMI cable should work without issue according to Gustard.
Ah yes, the famous Gustard IIS cable - lucky chap!

It would seem - based on the feedback of others - 'should work without issue' vs optimise sound quality/eek out maximal performance are rather two different things. As I understand it your cable that may sit somewhere in the performance spectrum between the BJC FE and the Argentus...

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #1,449 of 1,972
Ah yes, the famous Gustard IIS cable - lucky chap!

It would seem - based on the feedback of others - 'should work without issue' vs optimise sound quality/eke out maximal performance are rather two different things. As I understand it your cable that may sit somewhere in the performance spectrum between the BJC FE and the Argentus...
I do feel fortunate to have the Gustard i2s cable. Not sure why the cable is in short or no supply. That being said I have no sound comparison but have been told the cable I have does produce ”as good as it gets, ‘ sound quality. I have also heard great things about the BJC.

Jan 19, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #1,450 of 1,972

I have both the Blue Jeans and The After Dark Black Magic MK2 I2S. It's $ 220. Having bought and heard the Blue Jeans would I still pay that much more for the differnce the After Dark makes? Yes. The Blue Jeans doe nothing and everything very well. Its ridiculous how good it is for the dollar or even not for the dollar. Here is there little spiel.

The AfterDark. Black Magic I2S HDMI cable uses heavy Silver Plated Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) conductors for all 19 of the paths. Currently it outperforms any I2S HDMI interconnect ever made, while it is exceed the all HDMI 2.0b standard. The bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 @ 48Gbps vs HDMI 2.0b @18Gbps which is significantly higher than the clock rates used in even high resolution digital audio and is engineered specifically to handle up to 8K for critical application with highest HDMI specification.

Electrical interference and EMI is a big issue to deal with in digital signal transmission and the better the shielding to keep these noises out, the better and cleaner the performance of the cables.

AfterDark. Black Magic I2S HDMI cable, we use exotic EMI shielding material both on metal HDMI Connectors and make use of our signature Carbon Fiber Shielding (CFS) technology to provide substantial noise reduction in high frequency interference.

The sound quality on I2S HDMI DAC is simply stunning, high frequency extension very smoothly with full bodies of details presentation. The I2S signal was greatly benefit by CFS technology, the interference on EMI on 4G was further minimized, in returns of much darker background and more deeper on details rendering

Compared to the Blue Jeans it is just as even, but more liquid and burnished with a subtle sweetness. It is more lit up across the frequency range. More layered, spacious and focused. It's like very good digital compared to really well setup analog. More involving, a bit more PRAT and intelligibility. A bit lower noise floor and better micro and macro dynamics. A bit like looking at a very good Giclee copy of a very well painted masterpiece, and then looking closely at the masterpiece. The more you look and inspect and contemplate the more those difference become apparent.

I suspect the After Dark might give the Tubulus a very good pitched battle. But 700 or so is just to much in this application. Although I run a 1700 dollar Wywires Diamond USB after upgrading my $1000 Platinum USB and it was easily worth every penny! And of course Alex still offers 40% off on new cables and is very generous when upgrading.

One of those crazy spluges after a conversation with Alex the manufacturer. So maybe it might be worth getting the Tubulus in the future. But very very happy with the After Dark. It was really the Carbon Fiber Sheilding that finally made me pull the trigger. I know what Carbon Fiber does for my Wywires and a proto CF conductor Mad Scientist headphone cable did for my the sound of my headphones. Wywires Platinum now!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #1,451 of 1,972
I have both the Blue Jeans and The After Dark Black Magic MK2 I2S. It's $ 220. Having bought and heard the Blue Jeans would I still pay that much more for the differnce the After Dark makes? Yes. The Blue Jeans doe nothing and everything very well. Its ridiculous how good it is for the dollar or even not for the dollar. Here is there little sphiel.

The AfterDark. Black Magic I2S HDMI cable uses heavy Silver Plated Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) conductors for all 19 of the paths. Currently it outperforms any I2S HDMI interconnect ever made, while it is exceed the all HDMI 2.0b standard. The bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 @ 48Gbps vs HDMI 2.0b @18Gbps which is significantly higher than the clock rates used in even high resolution digital audio and is engineered specifically to handle up to 8K for critical application with highest HDMI specification.

Electrical interference and EMI is a big issue to deal with in digital signal transmission and the better the shielding to keep these noises out, the better and cleaner the performance of the cables.

AfterDark. Black Magic I2S HDMI cable, we use exotic EMI shielding material both on metal HDMI Connectors and make use of our signature Carbon Fiber Shielding (CFS) technology to provide substantial noise reduction in high frequency interference.

The sound quality on I2S HDMI DAC is simply stunning, high frequency extension very smoothly with full bodies of details presentation. The I2S signal was greatly benefit by CFS technology, the interference on EMI on 4G was further minimized, in returns of much darker background and more deeper on details rendering

Compared to the Blue Jeans it is just as even, but more liquid and burnished with a subtle sweetness. It is more lit up across the frequency range. More layered, spacious and focused. It's like very good digital compared to really well setup analog. More involving, a bit more PRAT and intelligibility. A bit lower noise floor and better micro and macro dynamics. A bit like looking at a very good Giclee copy of a very well painted masterpiece, and then looking closely at the masterpiece. The more you look and inspect and contemplate the more those difference become apparent.

I suspect the After Dark might give the Tubulus a very good pitched battle. But 700 or so is just to much in this application. Although I run a 1700 dollar Wywires Diamond USB after upgrading my $1000 Platinum USB and it was easily worth every penny! And of course Alex still offers 40% off on new cables and is very generous when upgrading.

One of those crazy spluges after a conversation with Alex the manufacturer. So maybe it might be worth getting the Tubulus in the future. But very very happy with the After Dark. It was really the Carbon Fiber Sheilding that finally made me pull the trigger. I know what Carbon Fiber does for my Wywires and a proto CF conductor Mad Scientist headphone cable did for my the sound of headphones. Wywire Platinum now!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode
Fabulous use of the English language there jgwtriode, love the Giclee copy analogy. You make a compelling case for the AfterDark Black Magic 12S. How could I not get one now.

As a matter of interest, as it seems you've pretty good experience on the USB cable front, can you recommend a good step up from the likes of the Semperfi Outsider, if you're familiar with it, in, say the sub-USD300 bracket? (I'm not quite ready to scale the heights you have with USB cables)

Background is I've been pursuing the Gustard R26 internal render/direct streaming route of late with my U18 patiently waiting on the sidelines to have its potential unlocked with better cables and probably an even better USB source than the Ifi Zen Stream.

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #1,452 of 1,972
I reported a few weeks ago that the sound with the LAN input of the R26 was superior to the sound with my streaming setup + the DI-20HE.
It's not the case anymore. Now they are at a full parity with the speakers, but with the headphones I can hear that the sound with the DI-20HE is slightly more refined.
The reason for this is that I upgraded my streaming GentooPlayer/Diretta setup. And with the DI-20 there's still room for improvement, because my customized OCK-1 has a single 50 ohms output that I use with the R26, and I can not connect the DI-20HE to the clock.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,453 of 1,972
For what it is worth, found a very interesting New, at least new to me, component isolation company. Eden Sound. They do Terrastone and ball bearings, as well as
Brass at more reasonable prices then the bigger names. Very Interesting mix of Brass, Bearings and Terrastone. Can choose the bearing type. It is a captured bearing design. So the exposed bearing reacts against stacked internal bearings. Proprietary milled polymer exclusively designed for audio applications. Will probably get platforms at some point next year to replace my Mapleshades. Excellent conversation with the owner. They do not heavily advertise and Dan is very down to earth. Looking at comparing them with Mad Sci's I have now! https://edensoundaudio.com/shop/terrastone-roller-bearing/

Attachments

• TS-RLR.jpg
    TS-RLR.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #1,454 of 1,972
Look what just arrived. The 18AWG version. Just dipping my toes in these waters, but as they're affordable enough I thought in for a penny, in for a pound - get enough to connect them simultaneously to everything.

Realise there's a dedicated thread for grounding etc, but thought a few of you guys might appreciate this.

20230120_124535.jpg

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #1,455 of 1,972
Look what just arrived. The 18AWG version. Just dipping my toes in these waters, but as they're affordable enough I thought in for a penny, in for a pound - get enough to connect them simultaneously to everything.

Realise there's a dedicated thread for grounding etc, but thought a few of you guys might appreciate this.

20230120_124535.jpg
What is this? On which devices do you use it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back