Gustard U18
Feb 23, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #1,966 of 1,980
Most of my listing is Qobuz streamed over Wi-Fi to a non-activated Android smartphone (in airplane mode) with all apps turned off except the bare minimum to make it work. I connect it to my U18 with a USB on the go cable. My player is USB Audio Player Pro. All this talk about settings had me going into that app and I see there are settings for network buffer size, network chunk size and buffer size. I have no idea how to optimize these settings. It's working fine but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better. If anyone out there is using UAPP and has a good understanding of what these settings do and how to set them, I'd appreciate it if they would share them with me. Just as I'm ready to send this I realize maybe it should go on the UAPP thread. Since I'm connected to a U18 seems it's still relevant here. Thanks

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #1,967 of 1,980
Most of my listing is Qobuz streamed over Wi-Fi to a non-activated Android smartphone (in airplane mode) with all apps turned off except the bare minimum to make it work. I connect it to my U18 with a USB on the go cable. My player is USB Audio Player Pro. All this talk about settings had me going into that app and I see there are settings for network buffer size, network chunk size and buffer size. I have no idea how to optimize these settings. It's working fine but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better. If anyone out there is using UAPP and has a good understanding of what these settings do and how to set them, I'd appreciate it if they would share them with me. Just as I'm ready to send this I realize maybe it should go on the UAPP thread. Since I'm connected to a U18 seems it's still relevant here. Thanks
I have tried playing around with UAPP streaming to U18 via a Cayin N6ii, I can't tell much difference with the various settings inside UAPP.

Honest, only with very high quality streaming components will you be able to feel the difference, my notebook streaming has a dedicated LPS. Even a portable player streaming via UAPP may not show you enough details to make the difference shown, let alone a smartphone.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #1,970 of 1,980
I was playing with U18 and Pegasus Dac connected by HDMI cable.
I was trying to figure out compatibility on both units using I2s and I'm confused.
On paper mode 2 on Gustard and mode 5 on Pegasus should be perfect match but it is not. Channels are reversed.
Mode 2 on Gustard and and mode 1 on Pegasus is correct.
So I compared Gustard modes on paper given in U18 manual and I think there are errors. Modes 2 and 4 are the same. I couldn't find Pegasus proper config modes for U18s "gustard" and mode 3.
Has anyone of you investigated it? I interested how Gustards i2s output actually looks cause manual is completely wrong.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #1,971 of 1,980
Do any of you know if the U18 IIS configuration is fully compatible with those on the A18? My current ddc at the office is not playing well with this dac in HQplayer. No matter what I do, it maxes out at 384k PCM and refuses to play anything converted to DSD, theres also a poping sound whenever music first starts playing. The topping DX7 pro I used before the A18 never had this issue.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #1,972 of 1,980
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #1,973 of 1,980
I ordered a Gustard U18 and it arrives tomorrow. Planning to feed a Musician Draco with it. Will compare AES/EBU vs I2S connections (if I can get the latter to work right). Hoping it is not too difficult to configure I2S setting. Will be my first experience with I2S hookup as I've never had a source with I2S output or a DAC with I2S input (until recently), and only now will get the chance to test this out.

-Ed

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #1,974 of 1,980
I ordered a Gustard U18 and it arrives tomorrow. Planning to feed a Musician Draco with it. Will compare AES/EBU vs I2S connections (if I can get the latter to work right). Hoping it is not too difficult to configure I2S setting. Will be my first experience with I2S hookup as I've never had a source with I2S output or a DAC with I2S input (until recently), and only now will get the chance to test this out.

-Ed
You will be fine - I have a Draco hooked up to my U18 via I2S. The U18 has a button on the front that lets you toggle through configurations. You will find the right one in seconds.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #1,975 of 1,980
You will be fine - I have a Draco hooked up to my U18 via I2S. The U18 has a button on the front that lets you toggle through configurations. You will find the right one in seconds.
Did you just have music playing from your source to the DDC while switching through the options until you got sound? Or did you stop playback, change setting, then start playback, over and over until you got it?

-Ed

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,976 of 1,980
Did you just have music playing from your source to the DDC while switching through the options until you got sound? Or did you stop playback, change setting, then start playback, over and over until you got it?

-Ed
Just play some music. Some settings won't play any sound, and others will invert left and right channels. Just toggle until you hear music via the correct channels.

Congrats and enjoy!

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,977 of 1,980
Just play some music. Some settings won't play any sound, and others will invert left and right channels. Just toggle until you hear music via the correct channels.

Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks! Do you listen to any DSD material? I think someone had an issue where PCM would be correct but DSD would be switched left vs right.

-Ed

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #1,979 of 1,980
Thanks! Do you listen to any DSD material? I think someone had an issue where PCM would be correct but DSD would be switched left vs right.

-Ed
I don't have any DSD music - I can't help.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #1,980 of 1,980

Users who are viewing this thread

Back