Gustard U18
Jan 7, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #1,936 of 1,980
I brought this ddc, sound great, but I have issue, every hour or two I have creaking sound on few ms, I send to Gustard message and they say this is not malfunction, they say I must check cables and reinstall drivers, I do all this cables in good condition, but problem not gone.. (
Maybe someone have this problem? If this packet loss, then maybe new driver must solve the problem?

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #1,937 of 1,980
I brought this ddc, sound great, but I have issue, every hour or two I have creaking sound on few ms, I send to Gustard message and they say this is not malfunction, they say I must check cables and reinstall drivers, I do all this cables in good condition, but problem not gone.. (
Maybe someone have this problem? If this packet loss, then maybe new driver must solve the problem?
Sounds like you need more buffer time. If you have a streamer raise it's buffer time and match it to your software accordingly. I can't go hardly below .2 ms with roon without getting that sometimes with my streamer/U18 which work together. Also make sure your software aligns to your streamer settings.

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #1,938 of 1,980
Sounds like you need more buffer time. If you have a streamer raise it's buffer time and match it to your software accordingly. I can't go hardly below .2 ms with roon without getting that sometimes with my streamer/U18 which work together. Also make sure your software aligns to your streamer settings.
Seemed, I solve problem, pulled out fuse and insert again, need time to check..

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #1,941 of 1,980
I think about adding U18 to my setup to be able to use I2S in Gustard A26 as I hear it's better than Coax input. I believe it might be so after hearing improvement on LAN vs Coax, but with Tidal playing on build in streamer from time to time I get sound skipping which is unacceptable even when the SQ is better.
So my idea is to switch from Allo Digione (w/ coax) build on Raspeberry Pi 4, and go with just RPi and use USB output to send signal to U18. I got good low noise LPU which stays.
But my concern how much the quality of USB output matters if I use U18? Does it at all? If U18 has galvanic isolation and does some signal processing, do I need have good USB souce? I've read somewhere that RPi's USB port can be noisy.

Another thing that might be next step for me is to stay with Allo Digione and add master clock - LHY OCK2. Anyone has idea what can bring more good U18 or LHY OCK2?
With time I may go for both U18 and OCK2 if it's the optimal setup, but for now I can get one.
If you must buy one, I would say u18. Cleaning the USB signal will matter more than the external clock.
OCK2 works nicely as well though, feeding both the DDC (U18) and the DAC (X26 Pro) for me.
Square wave - both.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #1,944 of 1,980
If you must buy one, I would say u18. Cleaning the USB signal will matter more than the external clock.
OCK2 works nicely as well though, feeding both the DDC (U18) and the DAC (X26 Pro) for me.
Square wave - both.
Same setup here (u18 + x26pro +OCK2) - X26pro in NOS mode - oversampling done with Foobar + PGGB rt plugin or HQ player = Whoa!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #1,947 of 1,980
There is no new firmware and has never been. Only drivers for Windows.
According to Shenzhen Audio support - when i updated the X26pro firmware - it somehow turned off the coax and optical output of the U18.
They sent me the vC.11 firmware file since it is not posted on their website.
Everything works now.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #1,948 of 1,980
Same setup here (u18 + x26pro +OCK2) - X26pro in NOS mode - oversampling done with Foobar + PGGB rt plugin or HQ player = Whoa!
I simply chose the Gentle filter on X26 Pro:).

Reason is I listen to everything through PC-->DDC-->DAC (Teams calls, YouTube, Tidal, Apple Music, downloaded music, Internet radio).
I'd have to switch back and forth between NOS for "already oversampled" material and one of the filters for everything else:).

When you install these drivers on the computer, U-18 automatically is recognised by the computer as the primary interface, no matter what other device/interface/dac is connected to it, right ?
Yes.

The exact same driver 5.57 for U18 and X26 Pro, recognizes either one automatically, once the USB cable is plugged into either.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #1,949 of 1,980
Tried searching the thread, but couldn't find if this question has already been answered.

Does the U18 output audio through all of its output ports at once? Aka can I have multiple DACS playing at once through it or isn't this possible, since each output / DAC has different settings?

Thanks !

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #1,950 of 1,980
Tried searching the thread, but couldn't find if this question has already been answered.

Does the U18 output audio through all of its output ports at once? Aka can I have multiple DACS playing at once through it or isn't this possible, since each output / DAC has different settings?

Thanks !
Yes - all outputs are active. I am running multiple dacs out of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back