Gustard U18
Feb 3, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #1,954 of 1,980
Tried to read through this monstrous thread but I just wanted to ask, is there truly a downside of a Topping U90 instead of the U18? I much prefer the form factor of the U90 to stack with my A90. I know the Gustard would plug in easier with my R26 but I just don't like the way the U18 looks.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #1,955 of 1,980
Tried to read through this monstrous thread but I just wanted to ask, is there truly a downside of a Topping U90 instead of the U18? I much prefer the form factor of the U90 to stack with my A90. I know the Gustard would plug in easier with my R26 but I just don't like the way the U18 looks.
I guess having no mclk is a pretty decent downside in terms of future proofing. Will keep looking

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #1,956 of 1,980
I would think that the synergy of Gustard to Gustard via i2s would be a benefit...

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #1,959 of 1,980
I guess having no mclk is a pretty decent downside in terms of future proofing. Will keep looking
If I had an R26 and that was my one DAC I'd just go for an LHY SW-10 and use optical isolation. It has a nice -115 Db masterclock in it with an LPS already integrated and acts as the switch. Yes it's not cheap but it avoids a much more expensive rabbit hole of cables, several LPS and DC power cables, external clock, DDC, streamer, fuses, and switch + LPS is still needed too. Because the R26 has the lan/streamer built in I wouldn't go the DDC route. If you are willing to spend way more eventually or have more than one DAC the DDC/external clock starts making more sense.

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #1,960 of 1,980
I enjoyed using the U18 with the Rohm dac chip SMSL D300 for a while then I switched to a TDA 1541 dac and things got a whole lot better.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #1,961 of 1,980
This worked with no driver installed for a while. I thought "cool" it is plug and play. Wrong! The U18 eventually lost its connection with my PC and I had to download the Windows driver.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #1,962 of 1,980
I use a re-furbished HP laptop PC with Windows 10.

Of course, the PC is restarted each time a Windows update is installed which is fairly often.

My U18 had to be unplugged and plugged back in a number of times after each restart in order to get my PC to connect to it. It took a lot of jiggling of cables and time to do this. I could not live with that and was about to return it and buy a Singxer SU-6.

Then I read the 6moons review of the SU-6. It indicated that Singxer recommended installing the Windows driver that was available for the SU-6.

I recalled seeing a mini-cd in the bottom of the box for my U18. Was this a Windows driver?

Rather than fiddle with a mini-cd, I did a google search and found the U18 Windows driver on the shenzhenaudio website. I downloaded it to my PC and (knock on wood) that cured my problem. My PC now connects immediately to my Gustard U18 after every restart. :)
I didn't even know one could have sound without installing the U18 driver !! BTW, since you are at it, try playing around with the buffer settings in the driver, it affects the smoothness of the sound, I like the sound with sample size setting in the middle, too high sample size it sounds too sharp and too low it sounds blurry.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #1,963 of 1,980
I didn't even know one could have sound without installing the U18 driver !! BTW, since you are at it, try playing around with the buffer settings in the driver, it affects the smoothness of the sound, I like the sound with sample size setting in the middle, too high sample size it sounds too sharp and too low it sounds blurry.
Good tip. I switched to a lower sample size setting and the sound is definitely more to my liking now.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #1,964 of 1,980
Good tip. I switched to a lower sample size setting and the sound is definitely more to my liking now.
What sample size setting sounded best for you?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #1,965 of 1,980
What sample size setting sounded best for you?
I used the middle setting, there are altogether 7 settings I think, I chose the 4th one. That is not the most analytical setting, but that setting gives the ambiance and atmosphere of jazz music which no other settings can give.

It is not difficult to try, just try all 7 and see which one is more to your taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back