Gustard U18
Jan 21, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #1,471 of 1,991
A DDC is only good for USB input. It gets rid of any noise from the USB source device (PC, laptop) and allows you to use the I2S input on the R26. If you stream directly to the R26 and don't use USB input into the DAC currently, a DDC will be of no benefit. Use any adjective people use for better SQ is what you can expect. Better than a fuse upgrade IMHO but not as noticeable as the addition of a master clock is how I would describe the difference.
A newbie question... with the U18 does it mean that the quality of the source (PC, laptop vs dedicated streamer like SoTM, ...) is no longer that critical from a SQ perspective? Just wonder if it would be worth replacing my current Mac mini set up with Audirvana (which BTW sounds way better than using a Bluesound Node playing only SSD based music)

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #1,472 of 1,991
A newbie question... with the U18 does it mean that the quality of the source (PC, laptop vs dedicated streamer like SoTM, ...) is no longer that critical from a SQ perspective? Just wonder if it would be worth replacing my current Mac mini set up with Audirvana (which BTW sounds way better than using a Bluesound Node playing only SSD based music)
PC's and laptops get noise from their power supplies , cpu's, fans if they have them and aren't designed for clean music reproduction per se. A DDC will will get the USB output from those devices as clean as it can be. So I would say that it makes it somewhat less critical as a good DDC does make a nice difference. A master clock with a DDC and DAC makes even further improvement.

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #1,473 of 1,991
@hobieboyca

+1 re @Highfive99 's masterclock recommendation.

I'd agree USB source is less critical with a DDC in absolute terms, but my experience, though hardly extensive, is everything matters if you're trying to optimize your sound in a revealing system.

My U18 feeding my R26 sounded much better fed by an Ifi Zen Stream than directly by my Mac Mini M1 running Roon/HQP. Currently with my very good but not exotic USB & I2S cables I still prefer the R26 internal NAA streamer/ renderer (+ OCK-1) to even the Zen/U18 (+OCK-1) combo.

Over on the R26 thread there seems to a pattern over time of U18 or DI-20HE fed by really good USB sources (like Jcat XE or Ifi Neo Stream) more consistently being preferred to the R26 internal streamer.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #1,474 of 1,991
Would a U18 DDC be worth getting for a R26 DAC and Burson Soloist 3X performance amp ? What improvements should I expect to see, if any ?
That's my exact setup.
I've experimented a lot comparing USB to R26, USB to U18 to R26 via I2S, and LAN to R26, LAN with FMCs to R26
Running from an old imac, using Audirvana

Finally, I decided to keep the U18 and use USB-U18-R26 chain.
I know alot of people would disagree with me, I just found the U18 route has the sharpest, cleanest and more analytical sound which I prefer.

Again, I know most will disagree with me, but investing in good USB and HDMI cables made a big difference. (I'm sure those $4000 cables would make the setup even more sublime, but I limited myself to $300 range for each cable)

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #1,476 of 1,991
How did you order these with the USB and RCA connectors? AliEx only shows them with the clips. And what is your impression of them so far?
My impression of the grounding cylinders after a good bit of AB’ng the last couple of days is they are… terrific, both in individual and cumulative beneficial effect (see below) and bang for buck, which must be right up there. USD24 each for the silver 18 AWG in Rosewood, and I exp you can get them cheaper.
Currently 5 of the 8 I bought are in use, each with an easily noticeable effect when adding/removing:
  • 1 x USB connector, plugged into my generic router with SMPS
  • 1 x USB connector - plugged into Mac Mini M1, my Roon & HQP server
  • 1 x RCA connector - plugged into coax s/pdif input of R26 DAC*
  • 2 x spades - screwed into base of negative speaker terminals of amp - same terminal my speaker cables banana plugs are plugged into
Each of the first three progressively took out similar amounts of haze, edginess and glare, letting voices and instruments sound more natural and textured (more fully sketched with less etched and sharp edges), a blacker and deeper soundstage. Result is sound is more ease-ful, relaxed and full. When I remove one the sound gets a little thinner and edgy.

In contrast the speaker terminal spade tubes added a little more scale to the sound, including height and breadth.

Also tried, though not favoured:
  • spade clip on dedicated ground screw & nut on R26, hard to get a secure fit, some improvement but RCA/spdif have a much bigger benefit
  • Crocodile clips on unused BNC outputs of OCK-1. Initially it seemed like it has tightening up the bass and focus, but as the clock’s oscillators stabilised after being turned off and the bass naturally tightened up it became clear the ground clip was giving a more etched or silhouetted sound I’d mistaken for being more resolving. Will try again with a BNC-connected ground tube… will need to solder it myself.
  • LHY SW-8 switch - nowhere easy to attach it so used a crocodile clip on edge of case. Muddied the sound so I guess it messed with the LHY’s ground management in its already very good power section.
*with the RCA ground tube I had to use a soldering iron to move the ground cable from where it was initially connected to the hot centre pin to the RCA outer ground.. not sure why they wired it that way but when I tried it initially with the R26 & amp RCA sockets it flattened the dynamics, not to mention produced the odd nasty pop.

Still to try: Zen Stream; U18; TV (internal streamer).

My expectations weren’t high and it was a bit of an experiment tbh, but I’m now a convert. Will have to try a 2kg Quartz Acoustic now to see what a more fully implemented larger capacity box can deliver.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #1,477 of 1,991
Quick update to say that I’ve now tried the grounding cylinders with the U18 & Ifi Zen Stream via a crocodile clip on the U18’s unused word clock BNC socket and another on the the Zen’s unused coax digital out.

Tried the U18 alone first. Brought an immediately obvious improvement of a similar nature to other devices in my earlier post but even more pronounced; more fleshed out notes & texture, less glare and shoutiness /brightness, expanded acoustic space, longer reverberation tales, greater perceived dynamics. Recommended.

Zen Stream connection further removed glare and improved natural tonality, but a lesser effect.

YMMV as I think I have pretty poor wiring in my 50’s house with its electrical ground particularly average.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,478 of 1,991
Quick update to say that I’ve now tried the grounding cylinders with the U18 & Ifi Zen Stream via a crocodile clip on the U18’s unused word clock BNC socket and another on the the Zen’s unused coax digital out.

Tried the U18 alone first. Brought an immediately obvious improvement of a similar nature to other devices in my earlier post but even more pronounced; more fleshed out notes & texture, less glare and shoutiness /brightness, expanded acoustic space, longer reverberation tales, greater perceived dynamics. Recommended.

Zen Stream connection further removed glare and improved natural tonality, but a lesser effect.

YMMV as I think I have pretty poor wiring in my 50’s house with its electrical ground particularly average.
I ordered 10 of these cables. :beerchug:

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #1,480 of 1,991
What are the odds Gustard releases a successor to the U18 any time soon? Seems like if they are going to it shouldn't be too long now considering how long the U18 has been out and the product cycle time between the U16 and U18. Be interesting to see what they come out with if they do.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #1,482 of 1,991
Jan 25, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #1,483 of 1,991
@hobieboyca

+1 re @Highfive99 's masterclock recommendation.

I'd agree USB source is less critical with a DDC in absolute terms, but my experience, though hardly extensive, is everything matters if you're trying to optimize your sound in a revealing system.

My U18 feeding my R26 sounded much better fed by an Ifi Zen Stream than directly by my Mac Mini M1 running Roon/HQP. Currently with my very good but not exotic USB & I2S cables I still prefer the R26 internal NAA streamer/ renderer (+ OCK-1) to even the Zen/U18 (+OCK-1) combo.

Over on the R26 thread there seems to a pattern over time of U18 or DI-20HE fed by really good USB sources (like Jcat XE or Ifi Neo Stream) more consistently being preferred to the R26 internal streamer.
I am indeed looking at adding a master clock after reading all the positive experiences 😊

Wrt R26 internal streamer vs. Mac mini - I tried both and much preferred Mac->USB into R26 than using R26 internal streamer. FWIW, I am not using any audiophile grade Ethernet cables or switches which may change things a little. As for using the Mac mini as source, I am using Audirvana 3.5. Just downloaded Studio and did not like the sound at all. With Studio, I feel like we are back to hearing digital music - less dimensionality, reverb and "presence" of the performer & instruments.

I have also tried ifi Zen Stream before I got the R26 (when I still have a Meitner MA-2). It was a toss up between that and using the Mac into the DAC. Unfortunately I no longer have the ifi Zen Stream - it was simply too buggy & finicky (didn't work most of the time to access my local / networked library).

So, still debating what would be a very good USB source... and if that would make a noticeable improvement.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #1,484 of 1,991
A newbie question... with the U18 does it mean that the quality of the source (PC, laptop vs dedicated streamer like SoTM, ...) is no longer that critical from a SQ perspective?
No, it makes it slightly less critical. However, the WHOLE chain from the router onwards is critical to the whole and changes I've made even to the PSU and grounding of the router make audible improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back