Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,037 of 1,697
I was able to install 10m ext. clock on U16 last night, the installation was easy, plug in the machine, attach the antenna to nearest window(supplied antenna comes with really long cable), less than 5 mins, the machine display 10m and it was ready to go. Immediately I notice everything sounded more clear, sound stage has deepen and more defined to my untrained ears. I strongly recommend this add-on to any U16 user especially it cost less than USD200.

Things I like:
1. obvious sound improvement, it really bring the best out of your system and music.
2. Easy installation, just move the antenna around until you get full bars, then wait til the machine reaches 10m and it's ready.
3. Price, for less than USD200, it's well worth the money.

Things I don't like:
1. No way to turn off the screen, the screen is bright can be bothersome. I guess I can always mask over with tape.
2. No way to turn off the machine unless unplug from the wall or the machine, assume every time turn on needs to wait for a bit til the machine reaches 10m.

For those interested in trying, I ordered mine direct from Taobao for 998rmb and shipped to Taiwan. I choose Sine wave and blue screen white lettering (screen). Make sure you have a 50ohm bnc cable ready for installation. I believe the machine is available on Amazon, just search 10mhz GPSDO.

If possible, please keep us updated on stability during use... can you lose GPS lock while playing and what is the effect to the audio system ?

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,038 of 1,697
Hello guys
Im sorry, but I still dont get it 100%.

The clock can be bought here or in any other similar place, thats easy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-10M...814962&hash=item1a3d7e5642:g:TqQAAOSwPPpaOhYT

But then, I guess its 10 Mhz output should be connected to the only clock input on the U16 and the antenna should go positioned somewhere outside the house so it can get the GPS signal. Am I correct? Can the antenna get GPS signal inside the house? Is it just a plugg and play device?

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #1,039 of 1,697
The trend of this thread allowed me to realize once again that the rabbit hole is indeed waaaaayy deeper than I thought....when one starts having to use or rely on GPSDO devices to improve the SQ on one device, he/she must consider another device or just go straight to analog. Not sure how much better the U16 is going to sound with all the GPSDO device PLUS its “added noise”. Sometimes I wonder if this hobby is focused on music enjoyment or on endless system upgrades (which is also enjoyable). For reference, I’m running my U16 (updated FW from 1.4 to 1.61) with the W4S reclocker, Audioquest Carbon cables from a Mac Mini music server with ifi USB ipurifiers in between and I’m REALLY happy and satisfied with its performance...no pops/clicks, just music enjoyment at any sample rates including DSD up to DSD512 to my Holo Spring DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #1,040 of 1,697
I'm not the right person to ask technical questions as my knowledge is very limited when comes to both DDC and 10M clocks.

@PLGA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermax-M1...Connector-bnc-m23329-3-02-04-3m-/181284224471 this is the 50ohm cable I used, nothing special, it was good spec with right price. All 50ohm BNC terminated cable should be good.

@FredA
All I know is to buy sinewave 10mhz and get a 50ohm BNC terminated cable.

@PLGA
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id...n0HE4_le1wZkOy3q8hYqzvEGu4w4&app=macos_safari

https://www.amazon.com/FidgetKute-1...3967&s=gateway&sprefix=GPSDO+,aps,312&sr=8-12

@motberg
Luckily behind my system is floor to ceiling window, so I have no problem with signal and it has been very stable. It bounces between 9.999mhz to 10mhz and has not once dropped the signal, I have not attach the antenna permanently to the window, I will move the antenna away from window more inside of the room to test the signal strength.

Installation from U16 10MCLK to clock's 10mhz once signal locked on and change OSC from INT to EXT and viola.

@MrCypruz

I agree with you, I rather spend time enjoy music than fine tuning system, that's one of the main reason I bought the best integrated amp/DAC I could afford and don't have to worry about power cables, interconnects and etc.

I suggest anyone is one the fence, give it a try if Amazon offers money back guarantee. I got 10mhz clock due to a local user swear by it, and he was right, the improvement in my system is very noticeable, everything just sounded more clear and defined.

One problem I have encounter is Audirvana 3.5 with TIDAL HIFI after installation of clock, some songs will produce cracking sound, if I use Tidal's own desktop app and Apple Music, no problem at all.

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,042 of 1,697
@FredA I am using Micromega M100 with built in DAC, it has built in audio server, streamer and internet radio. My music source is only Tidal HiFi and for as long as I have Micromega M100, I didn't have to add any streamer or media server. I wasn't even really looking to buy anything else after my son broke M2tech Hiface 2 which I had on previous system. A local friend ended up loaning the U16 to me for trial, and I decided to get one due to the improvement when I use MacBook Pro for youtube and Netflix. Then just for fun, I ended up A/B Micromega's own streamer with and Tidal Desktop app thu U16 to Micromega, to my surprise, i could hear difference, but very very small. Then my friend suggested 10mhz clock as it will bring out the best of U16 and here we are. I can confidently say in my current setup, 10mhz clock is a must and i will bypass the internal streamer for good.

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,043 of 1,697
@FredA I am using Micromega M100 with built in DAC, it has built in audio server, streamer and internet radio. My music source is only Tidal HiFi and for as long as I have Micromega M100, I didn't have to add any streamer or media server. I wasn't even really looking to buy anything else after my son broke M2tech Hiface 2 which I had on previous system. A local friend ended up loaning the U16 to me for trial, and I decided to get one due to the improvement when I use MacBook Pro for youtube and Netflix. Then just for fun, I ended up A/B Micromega's own streamer with and Tidal Desktop app thu U16 to Micromega, to my surprise, i could hear difference, but very very small. Then my friend suggested 10mhz clock as it will bring out the best of U16 and here we are. I can confidently say in my current setup, 10mhz clock is a must and i will bypass the internal streamer for good.
Nice, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I am thinking of getting a regular ocxo and not a gpsdo. I am not sure at all the gpsdo is any better for audio applications.. Any though? Anyone?

Also, was the burn-in done on the u16.? Cause the Accusilicons need time. Houndreds of hours...

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #1,044 of 1,697
Nice, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I am thinking of getting a regular ocxo and not a gpsdo. I am not sure at all the gpsdo is any better for audio applications.. Any though? Anyone?

Also, was the burn-in done on the u16.? Cause the Accusilicons need time. Houndreds of hours...

Yes, I have clocked at least 150 hours on U16, I think it was about 100 hours after where I notice the difference between Micromega and U16, without 10mhz clock, U16 was better during low volume, it allows me to hear more details and more spacious, with clock, all the instruments are more distinctive, more clear and just bring much more enjoyment out of the music.

Last night, I moved antenna into the room as far away from the window as I can and antenna cable length allowed, at my location, never once the signal has dropped, it continue locked onto between 9.999mhz and 10mhz while the bar on display only showing only 1 to 2 bars for about an hour.

Another finding last night, during the listening session, I was noticing something was off and quick peek at the clock screen and the signal was good. Then I remember I turn off and on U16 every day, and by doing that, sure enough the U16's CLK was reset back to INT, quick change to EXT and the sound was right back where it should be.

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #1,045 of 1,697
Yes, I have clocked at least 150 hours on U16, I think it was about 100 hours after where I notice the difference between Micromega and U16, without 10mhz clock, U16 was better during low volume, it allows me to hear more details and more spacious, with clock, all the instruments are more distinctive, more clear and just bring much more enjoyment out of the music.

Last night, I moved antenna into the room as far away from the window as I can and antenna cable length allowed, at my location, never once the signal has dropped, it continue locked onto between 9.999mhz and 10mhz while the bar on display only showing only 1 to 2 bars for about an hour.

Another finding last night, during the listening session, I was noticing something was off and quick peek at the clock screen and the signal was good. Then I remember I turn off and on U16 every day, and by doing that, sure enough the U16's CLK was reset back to INT, quick change to EXT and the sound was right back where it should be.

Thanks again for all the details.. I just ordered one of these.
I have a trip coming up soon, but maybe with some luck I can give this a try and send some comments this week yet..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back