Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,068 of 1,697
Hm., what time? Orbital time isn't equal terrestrial time, it's a bit slower due to Einstein theory (atomic clocks located on satellites boards runs slower the same one located on Earth). So, satellits transmiting corrected time for Earth. What about a jitter during this Einsteins correction? :)
Well, that is above my pay grade :) But the idea is that it's very stable long term, so it can be used to counter aging in a clock. On the other hand, short term stability should be more relevant for audio, and I can see that fluctuate more with a GPSDO as satellites go in and out of range. Just my speculation, though.

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #1,073 of 1,697
Just installed the 1.61 nfb beta. I have an audio-gd r7-he. So far, just a single pop changing data rate, not occuring afterwards, and everything plays fine. 192,188,96, 44.

For those installing it on an i2s dac, don't forget to select the right i2s mode. I selected PSA.

Too soon for champagne but promising.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,074 of 1,697
Just installed the 1.61 nfb beta. I have an audio-gd r7-he. So far, just a single pop changing data rate, not occuring afterwards, and everything plays fine. 192,188,96, 44.

For those installing it on an i2s dac, don't forget to select the right i2s mode. I selected PSA.

Too soon for champagne but promising.

I am wondering whether we can use this v1.61 NFB with other DACs than the ones made by audio-gd. I could try it myself, but I am away from my equipment.

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #1,076 of 1,697
To add some information here -

1) I received one of these and cannot get the GPS lock indoors (inside lower level apartment and 4 meters from the nearest window). I need about a 10M lead to the antenna so if I can find that I will advise the group.
2) I found a manual online, they suggest a clear view of the sky for best performance. Also interesting comments about performance vs. warm up time.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&ved=2ahUKEwimm-vvk77jAhXSaN4KHXbDDDk4ChAWMAB6BAgCEAI&url=https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bg7tbl-gpsdo-master-reference/?action=dlattach;attach=403461&usg=AOvVaw3ZQ-FwkItEVt5DSJeyohva

Oh man, sorry to hear, since I live on the 11th floor apartment, my reception might be much easier to lock onto. I did ask the local user whom suggested the 10mhz clock, himself did buy a longer antenna to get the signal. I do hope the new antenna will work out for you.

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #1,077 of 1,697
After install of v1.77, the firmware fixed lipsync issue I had with watching youtube. Another user I spoke to he didn't like the sound of v1.77 at all, he mentioned compare to v1.61, v1.77 didn't sound as live and clear. I will do my own comparison this weekend and report back.

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,078 of 1,697
I don’t think the “nfb” label on this firmware refers to audio gd nfb dac
Am using it with a denafrips dac - so far so good

I installed the v1.61 NFB firmware. It worked with my Gustard X20 DAC; however, the channels are swapped! I do not want to comment on the sound quality at this initial stage.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #1,080 of 1,697
I installed the v1.61 NFB firmware. It worked with my Gustard X20 DAC; however, the channels are swapped! I do not want comment on the sound quality at this initial stage.

if I kept in v1.41, then channel is swapped, with older1.61 comes with selection for other brands, I have tested and cycle thu all the brands available, few works perfect with my Micromega M100, I ended up staying with PSA. Not sure what's 1.61NFB do, but I will try tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back