Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jul 10, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #1,021 of 1,697
IMG_6365.JPG
I was able to install 10m ext. clock on U16 last night, the installation was easy, plug in the machine, attach the antenna to nearest window(supplied antenna comes with really long cable), less than 5 mins, the machine display 10m and it was ready to go. Immediately I notice everything sounded more clear, sound stage has deepen and more defined to my untrained ears. I strongly recommend this add-on to any U16 user especially it cost less than USD200.

Things I like:
1. obvious sound improvement, it really bring the best out of your system and music.
2. Easy installation, just move the antenna around until you get full bars, then wait til the machine reaches 10m and it's ready.
3. Price, for less than USD200, it's well worth the money.

Things I don't like:
1. No way to turn off the screen, the screen is bright can be bothersome. I guess I can always mask over with tape.
2. No way to turn off the machine unless unplug from the wall or the machine, assume every time turn on needs to wait for a bit til the machine reaches 10m.

For those interested in trying, I ordered mine direct from Taobao for 998rmb and shipped to Taiwan. I choose Sine wave and blue screen white lettering (screen). Make sure you have a 50ohm bnc cable ready for installation. I believe the machine is available on Amazon, just search 10mhz GPSDO.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #1,022 of 1,697
Yes, sure. I will keep the U16 until i try it with the SMS200 and I will sell it only if I find no difference (o very little) with it in between.
I think my DAC, the Audio-GD R8, will also have the same benefit going I2S instead of USB.
Thanks for the info.
I would suggest is2 connection anytime. A whole lot quieter and less jitter. As for keeping the U16, well that depends if you upsample your music. I for one am probably going to ditch the U16 and get the SU 6 for its stability. But I will maintain a is2 connection for sure. USB is just soooo meh.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,023 of 1,697
I was able to install 10m ext. clock on U16 last night, the installation was easy, plug in the machine, attach the antenna to nearest window(supplied antenna comes with really long cable), less than 5 mins, the machine display 10m and it was ready to go. Immediately I notice everything sounded more clear, sound stage has deepen and more defined to my untrained ears. I strongly recommend this add-on to any U16 user especially it cost less than USD200.

Things I like:
1. obvious sound improvement, it really bring the best out of your system and music.
2. Easy installation, just move the antenna around until you get full bars, then wait til the machine reaches 10m and it's ready.

Things I don't like:
1. No way to turn off the screen, the screen is bright can be bothersome. I guess I can always mask over with tape.
2. No way to turn off the machine unless unplug from the wall or the machine, assume every time turn on needs to wait for a bit til the machine reaches 10m.

For those interested in trying, I ordered mine direct from Taobao for 998rmb and shipped to Taiwan. I choose Sine wave and blue screen white lettering (screen). Make sure you have a 50ohm bnc cable ready for installation. I believe the machine is available on Amazon, just search 10mhz GPSDO.

Hello @roni44
Thanks for the tip.
Could you give us the links for clock and the cable?
One silly question, if its a clock why does it need an antenna? I really dont get that part.

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #1,027 of 1,697
It uses GPS satellites (which have highly accurate atomic clocks, and transmit that time) to get a stable reference.

Ok, but I guess you need to place the antenna outside to get the GPS signal and that would be somehow difficult for some of us. Or can you place it inside the house?
On the other hand, can you please give us the web link for the place where you have bought it?
Thank you

Jul 13, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,029 of 1,697

Things I like:

Things I don't like:

Hi, quick question: I can't find in the U16 manual where it specifies the input impedence of the BNC jack. Where did you find the information on 50 Ohm cable or 75 Ohm cable? I would like to try out the GPSDO clock and want to make sure I get the correct cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back