Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,006 of 1,697
When I read that some people have big problems with their Gustard U16 while others, like me, have no problems at all, I ask myself what the reason may be. Perhaps it is a firmware problem like many seem to believe or it is something completely different. What speaks for the fact that it is not a firmware problem is that then everyone who uses a Gustard U16 should experience the same problem, don’t they? I was thinking further about what can distinguish between my U16, that works as it should, and those who do not and came to the conclusion that maybe it is the USB communication between the computer itself and Gustard U16 that is the problem.

My guess / hypothesis is that USB communication for some reason doesn’t work properly between Windows and U16. Which would explain that having an USB bridge like the ultraRendu with its own USB program between the computer and U16 doesn’t experience any problems. To fix the problem, the USB error in Gustard U16 must be fixed. If then my hypothesis is true I do not know.

Considering those of us with a U16 have used other DDC's with an otherwise unchanged system with no issues indicates the U16 has an issue either with its hardware (I don't think so) or that its Windows driver is buggy. The latter seems to make more sense. Gustard needs to work on this more.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #1,007 of 1,697
Considering those of us with a U16 have used other DDC's with an otherwise unchanged system with no issues indicates the U16 has an issue either with its hardware (I don't think so) or that its Windows driver is buggy. The latter seems to make more sense. Gustard needs to work on this more.

When I use windows 8.1 laptop to U16 with coaxial out, no pop and click, but with MacBook Pro to U16 and I2S out, then pop and click after an hour into listening, pop and click will repeat itself every 10mins or so. I'm guessing has to do with I2S output.

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #1,008 of 1,697
I've been using the U16 (FW 1.4) on my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop for a little over 2 months with no issues whatsoever at any sample rate. Today I got my Mac Mini to use strictly as my music server & Roon Core. Setting it up with the U16 was a breeze, pretty much plug-and-play. I've had about 7hrs of playtime so far with no pops/clicks etc at any sample rate. Not sure if I'm one of those super lucky guys or the USB interface between the U16 and your machines are indeed buggy/not speaking the same language.
I've tried every single sample rate in Roon from 44.1 kHz all the way to DSD512 with no issues to report (including channel inversion).

For reference, I'm using the U16 with the ADI-2 DAC (Coaxial), ADI-2 Pro (AES), Holo Spring DAC (I2S) and LS50W active speakers (Optical).

Jul 7, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #1,009 of 1,697
Just to add details about USB cables...I've been using the iFi USB 3.0 with iPurifier 3.0 on the Lenovo and I'm currently using the Audiquest Carbon with iPurifier 3.0 on the Mac Mini. Not sure if these cables + Jitterbug devices have been playing a role in the flawless performance of the U16 or not but I felt like sharing this info anyway hoping that it will help the folks having issues with the U16.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,011 of 1,697
I listen to all of my music streaming Tidal hifi with Windows 10 and Audinirvana+.
I have took care of the USB signal with Audioquest Jitterbug + Wyred4sound USB Reclocker with LPS + Gustard U16 before going into my Audio-gd R8 DAC.
Ive also changed from WiFi to Ethernet as I find the second to sound better and I waiting for a switch and better Ethernet cables as I think that they will also improve the sound quality.
Nevertheless, yesterday I was watching a film on Netflix, with the sound coming from my TV via Optical cable (a cheap 10 feet chinese one) to my DAC with no signal conditioner in between whatsoever. I also must say that the TV is connected to Internet via WiFi, not Ethernet cable. Well, as I said, I was watching a film on Netflix and at the end there was a song that my wife liked, so I looked for it on Tidal (right from the Soundtrack álbum) and I added it to one on my lists. Then, just being curious, I compared the sound of my USB digital, with all of my dedicated gear, against the TV with cheap optical cable. Well, the latest sounded better, much more analog, with less sibilance.
After that experience, I connected back an iEAST streamer (a cheap chinese one) Ive had stored for two years and, eventhough it didnt sound as good my TV, it sounded very similar to my USB rig.
So now Im convinced that a good sounding streamer will be a "very good" investment on my system, wich I consider to be very revealing, but it lacked a little little bit of an analog sound and I thought it was the power Conditioner not being good enough (I almost bought an Audioquest Niagra), but now I know what was the principal short coming.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #1,012 of 1,697
Very interesting find! Great that you went to discover and experiment with your sound system. I love getting new items and testing to see whether they have an impact and if it is worth it or not to keep in the system. All preference. All adventure.

:) Cheers!

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #1,013 of 1,697
I listen to all of my music streaming Tidal hifi with Windows 10 and Audinirvana+.
I have took care of the USB signal with Audioquest Jitterbug + Wyred4sound USB Reclocker with LPS + Gustard U16 before going into my Audio-gd R8 DAC.
Ive also changed from WiFi to Ethernet as I find the second to sound better and I waiting for a switch and better Ethernet cables as I think that they will also improve the sound quality.
Nevertheless, yesterday I was watching a film on Netflix, with the sound coming from my TV via Optical cable (a cheap 10 feet chinese one) to my DAC with no signal conditioner in between whatsoever. I also must say that the TV is connected to Internet via WiFi, not Ethernet cable. Well, as I said, I was watching a film on Netflix and at the end there was a song that my wife liked, so I looked for it on Tidal (right from the Soundtrack álbum) and I added it to one on my lists. Then, just being curious, I compared the sound of my USB digital, with all of my dedicated gear, against the TV with cheap optical cable. Well, the latest sounded better, much more analog, with less sibilance.
After that experience, I connected back an iEAST streamer (a cheap chinese one) Ive had stored for two years and, eventhough it didnt sound as good my TV, it sounded very similar to my USB rig.
So now Im convinced that a good sounding streamer will be a "very good" investment on my system, wich I consider to be very revealing, but it lacked a little little bit of an analog sound and I thought it was the power Conditioner not being good enough (I almost bought an Audioquest Niagra), but now I know what was the principal short coming.
I have made similar discoveries. I currently has eliminated almost all the USB enhancing rigs. I find using the optical cable "corning USB 3" to be best, without the need for galvanic isolation devices and uses it alone. It is definitely better than regular copper USB cable. Also I use Regen USPCB adaptor at the end before entry to DAC to cut out Vbus and that helps a lot too, even though the optical cable only has very weak VBus. I think a great music server with great clock, LPS is essential and may not need any galvanic isolation devices. The galvanic isolation devices recheck the signal which also introduces some color and you loses something as a result, IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,014 of 1,697
I think I will buy in a coupleof months the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo to try it with the Swagman LPS I already have.
I will try it on my system connected directly to the DAC and then with the Gustard U16 in between.

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #1,015 of 1,697
Hello Guys,
Have anyone tried the U16 with the SOtM SMS 200 Ultra? If so, do they work fine streaming Tidal?

Am using sms200 ultra neo with u16.
Somehow v1.61 don’t work so well. Pops and clicks happen with bitrate higher than 80khz.

On firmware v1.4 - things work perfectly. Its a pity though as I think v1.6 sounds better

To stream from Tidal is not so straightforward with sotm. You need to either stream via the roon or lms platform - Or via airplay. Tidal works very well with roon - doable with LMS. Hope that answers your question.

Sms200 ultra neo is a fine piece of kit and I think you’ll enjoy it alot if you decide to go for it. Btw - sms200 ultra neo works very well with the sps500 power supply. Extremely well !!! But you’ll need to swap out the dc cables from sps500 with a better one. I have tried other lps with sms200 ultra neo - none come close to the level of fidelity of the sps500.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #1,018 of 1,697
Am using sms200 ultra neo with u16.
Somehow v1.61 don’t work so well. Pops and clicks happen with bitrate higher than 80khz.

On firmware v1.4 - things work perfectly. Its a pity though as I think v1.6 sounds better

To stream from Tidal is not so straightforward with sotm. You need to either stream via the roon or lms platform - Or via airplay. Tidal works very well with roon - doable with LMS. Hope that answers your question.

Sms200 ultra neo is a fine piece of kit and I think you’ll enjoy it alot if you decide to go for it. Btw - sms200 ultra neo works very well with the sps500 power supply. Extremely well !!! But you’ll need to swap out the dc cables from sps500 with a better one. I have tried other lps with sms200 ultra neo - none come close to the level of fidelity of the sps500.

Hello Criable, thank you for the reply! Very useful info.

Does U16 improve the sound quality of the SMS200 Ultra Neo? I mean, does the combo sound better than just the SMS200 alone? Is it worthwile to keep the U16?

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,019 of 1,697
Does U16 improve the sound quality of the SMS200 Ultra Neo? I mean, does the combo sound better than just the SMS200 alone? Is it worthwile to keep the U16?

Np @PLGA
Ultra neo sounds very good by itself - however the USB implementation in most dacs (including mine) are not that great.
I only use i2s connection from u16 to the denafrips dacs. Between i2s and usb in my setup - there is no contest - I2s wins hands down.
I think sotm and u16 work well together (sounds great too)... if there is no hurry in selling the u16 - why not hold on to it until u get the sotm?

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #1,020 of 1,697
Np @PLGA
Ultra neo sounds very good by itself - however the USB implementation in most dacs (including mine) are not that great.
I only use i2s connection from u16 to the denafrips dacs. Between i2s and usb in my setup - there is no contest - I2s wins hands down.
I think sotm and u16 work well together (sounds great too)... if there is no hurry in selling the u16 - why not hold on to it until u get the sotm?

Yes, sure. I will keep the U16 until i try it with the SMS200 and I will sell it only if I find no difference (o very little) with it in between.
I think my DAC, the Audio-GD R8, will also have the same benefit going I2S instead of USB.
Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back