Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Dec 10, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,975 of 3,700

See http://jlsounds.com/drivers.html for ready access to the XMOS drivers
The 2.23 link provided above was blocked by Windows Smartscreen.

There should be a "run anyway" option. 

Gustard's official sharelink for all Gustard things related, it's in Chinese so you'll have to google translate or use a web addon to translate it. Pretty self explanatory though.

http://yun.baidu.com/share/home?uk=842027555&view=share#category/type=0

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #2,976 of 3,700
Guys this great, thanks for all your help. I've now tried the Luckit 2.23 on my windows 7 machine, and also tried install  some driver packages on another windows 10 machine. To no avail, unfortunately - no sound from either of the laptops.

I will have to find another way to find out whether the DU-U8 is dead. Or, before I start that tricky logistic process, perhaps the last thing to try is to measure whether there's actually any signal coming out of the usb port? Is there a way to do that?

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #2,978 of 3,700
I've received my Breeze Audio DU-U8 today.
What is the pinout of the I2S RJ45 output ? I didn't find any information with the product and it seems there is no standard for this connector.

That is true. It also depends on the pin arrainement of your dac. My Breeze did not work with my dac while the Melodius did indicating to me the pin arraingement of the two are different. If you can use the AES/EBU (XLR) output it sounds as good as the I2S output
Alan

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #2,979 of 3,700
That is true. It also depends on the pin arrainement of your dac. My Breeze did not work with my dac while the Melodius did indicating to me the pin arraingement of the two are different. If you can use the AES/EBU (XLR) output it sounds as good as the I2S output
Alan

The breeze's pinout is the same as audio-gd's. I am using one in my setup, on top of a master-7, connected with a very short shielded cat6a network cable, using also a schiit wyrd sitting on top of a mac mini, again hooked with very short cable, through a jitterbug, and a second jitterbug in an unused port. The breeze is fed through an acoustic zen tsunami cord. I have a 6n usb wire with separate signal and power conductors between the wyrd and the breeze.

And that all sounds phenomenal. So focused, so dynamic, so full, so accurate, so sweet. Champagne for your ears.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,980 of 3,700

•  
  •  
  •  
The breeze's pinout is the same as audio-gd's. I am using one in my setup, on top of a master-7, connected with a very short shielded cat6a network cable, using also a schiit wyrd sitting on top of a mac mini, again hooked with very short cable, through a jitterbug, and a second jitterbug in an unused port. The breeze is fed through an acoustic zen tsunami cord. I have a 6n usb wire with separate signal and power conductors between the wyrd and the breeze.

And that all sounds phenomenal. So focused, so dynamic, so full, so accurate, so sweet. Champagne for your ears.

Funny, the Breeze won't work with my Master 7. That's ok because I like the Melodius better. I have the brand new version of the Melodius that just came out
Just want to add, isn't the Master7 an incredible dac. After a friend heard it he got rid of his esoteric and got the Master7. His friends say that
his system has never sounded better. After I break in the Melodius I will give the Breeze another try
Alan

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #2,981 of 3,700
I've received my Breeze Audio DU-U8 today.
What is the pinout of the I2S RJ45 output ? I didn't find any information with the product and it seems there is no standard for this connector.

Here is the DU-U8 pinouts.  There are no standards when it comes to i2s - it was not meant to be an external hookup.  It was designed for very short (inches) connection inside a CD player between the transport and DAC board.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #2,982 of 3,700

•  
  •  
  •  

Cheers!  The Breeze responds very well to better power cords.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,983 of 3,700
  Funny, the Breeze won't work with my Master 7. That's ok because I like the Melodius better. I have the brand new version of the Melodius that just came out
Just want to add, isn't the Master7 an incredible dac. After a friend heard it he got rid of his esoteric and got the Master7. His friends say that
his system has never sounded better. After I break in the Melodius I will give the Breeze another try
Alan

Good feedback on the new Melodious - they followed the double power regulation of the Breeze - got to love the Chinese DDC wars!

I see that Melodious does not use any heatsinks on the new design - that was a mod after many issues with their first batch.  I had three and all did not work properly.  To my ears the MX-U8 had a nice incisive quality - but the Hydra Z then the DU-U8 Breeze just crushed it on ease, musicality and flow.  The Breeze adding another half octave of bass and an even wider sound stage.  With the Cerious power cord scaling new heights (also a modded Jitterbug adds to the ease and naturalness).

Any photos of the inside would be appreciated -  is seems there are constant changes to their designs.

Cheers

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2,984 of 3,700
Alan

One thing with i2s is you want to turn off both the dac and the interface before connecting them together to avoid damages. The i2s might not works when the dsp is disabled on the m7, i read something to that effect on headfi i think.

A tip to improve the sound of the m7 with i2s is to turn the pll off (assuming that a very good interface is used). I also upsample to 48/24 in audirvana using 1 million samples in the advanced config. It gives more resolution.

The new melodious looks great inside. Looks like a fine product. The breeze is very nice given the price. And it is really better than the di2014, which is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back