Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Dec 6, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #2,941 of 3,700
  Don't know if everyone saw this - Melodious is coming out with a new unit that uses the double regulation like the Breeze.  Have not heard it.

From Alex's Melodious Mod thread:

I had just ordered the old one at the original price and got an e-mail telling me the old one was not being made anymore but
they would send me the new model and honor the original price. So I got a new one coming
Alan

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #2,943 of 3,700
  I had just ordered the old one at the original price and got an e-mail telling me the old one was not being made anymore but
they would send me the new model and honor the original price. So I got a new one coming
Alan

Great - report what you hear!  I see that they don't use a heat sink on the XMOS processor like Breeze does.

Bob, when are you going to start that separate Breeze DU-U8 thread? LOL

Soon - I want to kind put it up as a summary of these almost 3000 posts - so in essence a compendium.  That's taking sometime. And I'm just having too much fun listening to the great sounds each night.

I also want to include in it a little summary of each of the DDC's I have had so far.  I want it to be as complete a resource as my 6922 Tube review.  Maybe over the Holidays family stuff allowing.

Cheers!

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2,944 of 3,700
Great - report what you hear!  I see that they don't use a heat sink on the XMOS processor like Breeze does.

Soon - I want to kind put it up as a summary of these almost 3000 posts - so in essence a compendium.  That's taking sometime. And I'm just having too much fun listening to the great sounds each night.

I also want to include in it a little summary of each of the DDC's I have had so far.  I want it to be as complete a resource as my 6922 Tube review.  Maybe over the Holidays family stuff allowing.

Cheers!

Excellent! Looking forward to subscribing to it ! :)

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #2,945 of 3,700
  ...the DU-U8 did very well in a head to head with the OR5.  That was before the addition of the Cerious Graphene power cord - that has really made an improvement in the DU-U8 sound.  Greater detail and even smoother now - even at extreme vol levels on the very picky Maggies.  The Cerious is fully broken in and sounding just great.

Hi rb2013,
the Cerious Graphene power cord seems to be efficient, but the Cerious price is seriously high !
Regarding "efficiency" of a power cord, is this related to current and how clean it is ? Why not using the power cord provided by Breeze and adding a filter, like a Schaffner ?
Schaffner price is 25USD av..
If the Breeze is senstive to the power cord, maybe its power supply is sensitive to the current & how clean it is. Thus maybe, a Schaffner could do the job of the Cerious for 25USD instead of 20times that price.
Right / wrong ? that's just an idea.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #2,946 of 3,700
  Hi rb2013,
the Cerious Graphene power cord seems to be efficient, but the Cerious price is seriously high !
Regarding "efficiency" of a power cord, is this related to current and how clean it is ? Why not using the power cord provided by Breeze and adding a filter, like a Schaffner ?
Schaffner price is 25USD av..
If the Breeze is senstive to the power cord, maybe its power supply is sensitive to the current & how clean it is. Thus maybe, a Schaffner could do the job of the Cerious for 25USD instead of 20times that price.
Right / wrong ? that's just an idea.

Well for me $250 for the Cerious Graphene is reasonable.  If it makes a significant improvement in performance - as it has in spades. Funny I had 'invested' $180 for a Regen and other $150 for a LPS for it - and the sound became worse!  This was my second Regen as the first made a nice improvement in my office system.  So it's about sound vs cost for me. I sold the second Regen and used the money to get the Cerious Graphene.

I sold the Hydra Z for $600 and it took a $150 LPS TeraDak - and replaced it with the $150 DU-U8 - with a major sonic improvement.  And that was before the Cerious.  With the Cerious another significant leap in performance.  So net net - I'm ahead by $350 over the Z/LPS and with much better sound.

I don't think what the Cerious Graphene is doing is just a matter of 'efficiency' - many factors come into play such as variable inductance, impedance (the lower the better), EMI/RFI shielding, capacitance, eddy wave reflections from the conductor surface and dielectric, etc...  Constructing a great power chord is harder then it looks.

As for the Schaffner - that is just a Balun in a small metal housing.  It acts as a common mode AC power filter - I went one better - using a $80 Art Audio PB4X4Pro which is both a common mode and differential mode C filter (also a surge protector).  So that base is covered in spades.

Before the Cerious I was using a nice silver power cord with very nice rhodium plated connectors.  The stock cable is just a $2 generic Chinese chord.  The DU-U8 sounded better with this silver/rhodium cord plugged into the PB4X4Pro.
The cable was something like this:
https://app.audiogon.com/listings/ac-cables-6-black-shadow-power-cord-braided-2-meter-silver-rhodium-cryo-2015-12-05-power-34207-college-plaza-fl

The Cerious replacing the silver/rhodium cord was the major improvement I posted about.

Schaffner:

Art Audio Pro PB4X4 PRO

All PRO SERIES models have an additional internal discrete module called APF™ (Advanced Power Filtering) which filters out digital and dimmer hash as well as any high frequency noise that is above the audio range. Some off-the-shelf add-on modules saturate and lose their filtering effectiveness as the load increases, but by using a high power discrete design we were able to create a filter that stays effective over the full operating range.
By using both Common Mode and Differential Mode topologies in series for the filter design we are able to block virtually all of the unwanted noise that is between the AC line and ground, and also the two sides of the AC line. This has the additional benefit of reducing ground loop problems in your system. High frequency noise currents in particular are highly attenuated in both directions so that any line noise that could be generated by one of your components is not allowed to get back into your main A.C. wiring so if you use a number of PRO SERIES Power Conditioners in your setup, you can distribute and isolate the noisy components from the sensitive components in your system. Additionally, any signals above 10kHz are filtered from the line with over 40dB of attenuation above 100kHz and beyond.
Every PRO SERIES power conditioner is designed with a power capacity of 1800 Watts, surge/spike protection, APF with EMI & RFI filtering, front-mounted unswitched power outlet and an adjustable rear-mounted gooseneck light source for bright illumination behind the rack. The spacing and alignment of the rear outlets to accommodate various size power plugs and AC adapters.

I have 4 of these currently - using separate ones on each of my DU-U8's (including the ReGen/Remedy in the office system) and a separate unit for each DAC. 

I also use a thick solid copper shield around each components AC plug - you can get these at Lowes for around $10 each:

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #2,947 of 3,700

I can't see how having the Crystek CCHD-957 clocks vs the TXCO OEMs could hurt the sound - it would have to help it.  How much is a guess?
The DXIO Pro3A would require me getting another TeraDak or a Paul Hynes LPS - another $150 to $300, as it takes a 5-6VDC clean power supply.

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/97-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

My 2 TeraDaks are now being used to power my Regen and Wyred for Sound Remedy in my office system.

You have the 10G?  Lucky dog

A kind member has offered to lend me his Curious USB cable!  This is getting rave reviews - see 6moons:
http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/curious/1.html

Im using the Curious Regen usb link.   Made a good improvement from the Pangea and the Link provided by Uptone audio.    BTW  many many thanks for suggesting the power cord for the Breeze.

I didnt order the one you suggested but instead had  Blacksands cable in the closet.    WOW between the Curious and the Blacksands and your Breeze I cant believe how good everything sounds now.     If you were here I would shake your hand and buy you a beer!!!!!

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2,948 of 3,700
  Im using the Curious Regen usb link.   Made a good improvement from the Pangea and the Link provided by Uptone audio.    BTW  many many thanks for suggesting the power cord for the Breeze.

I didnt order the one you suggested but instead had  Blacksands cable in the closet.    WOW between the Curious and the Blacksands and your Breeze I cant believe how good everything sounds now.     If you were here I would shake your hand and buy you a beer!!!!!

beerchug.gif
Cheers Bro!

I'm curious about the Curious link as well.  What I have read on the Headfi Regen thread is that blocking the power feed out of the Regen helps the SQ - so looking for an adapter or tail that is data only.  Of course the DU-U8 would work great with that configuration.  Also a power line block at the USB PC end.

Some stuff posted about unpowered pin 1 'compactive coupling' with the USB datalines:
 Actually, the reason for blocking Pin 1 (with tape or an SBooster VBus Isolator) or for using a 3-wire USB cable, whether between your source and the USB Regen or between the USB Regen and a self-powered DAC, is to avoid the capacitive coupling of the +5V wire that can be detrimental to the data even when no power is flowing. (See my Alex Crespi quote, above.)

Don't really know if this is just theory - or if it improves the sound in practice - but would like to try it.  The SBooster VBus Isolators are hard to come by - but I read that Curious can provide a block with their USB cable.  So after trying a friend's Curious, and if it improves the SQ in a major way, may give that a try as well.  That might be a good tweek with or without a Regen.  It would be great if AQ sold a Jitterbug version with the power block built in (and maybe that's what the JB is doing - decoupling that 'capacitive coupling').

The DU-U8 appears to respond well to better power cables - thanks for sharing your experience.  More feedback is great.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2,953 of 3,700
  Used this in the past:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/131200504256?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT    Wanted to keep the Gustard (long gone) powered on all the time.    

Yes I have one of these - it came with TeraDak X1/X2 along with a 2.5mm.  But that only blocks at the USB B end - not a the A side (output side).  It's the diabling of the pin 1 at the source that de-couples the capactiance.

Here is the VBUS Isloator:

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #2,954 of 3,700
I also use an isolator.
So, the cable above is a data only cable so long as you don't use the sleeve connector connection [for lack of a better word :]]?

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #2,955 of 3,700
  I also use an isolator.
So, the cable above is a data only cable so long as you don't use the sleeve connector connection [for lack of a better word :]]?

There is a list of High End Audio Dealers in the US on the SBoost website that have the VBUS but none in WA or OR.  I'll make some calls tomorrow around the country - don't know if any dealers want to handle such a small dollar item that has to be shipped.

Might have to ship to a relative in France to then ship to me.  What a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back