Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Dec 13, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #3,001 of 3,700
I managed to get an Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 5 with the "HDMI Hynes Regulator" for a good price used. I had to load the M2Tech HiFace 1 drivers into my Squeezebox Touch with EDO firmware before it would connect. I much prefer the HDMI output into my Audio-gd Master 7 over the BNC output. I'm still deciding if the HDMI output beats the RCA>BNC output of the Gustard though. Needless to say, it's no the easiest thing to compare as one has to switch the USB cable between the two reclockers and then reselect the new reclocker and reboot the Touch. I'll probably just live with them both for a while and make a decision.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #3,002 of 3,700
I managed to get an Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 5 with the "HDMI Hynes Regulator" for a good price used. I had to load the M2Tech HiFace 1 drivers into my Squeezebox Touch with EDO firmware before it would connect. I much prefer the HDMI output into my Audio-gd Master 7 over the BNC output. I'm still deciding if the HDMI output beats the RCA>BNC output of the Gustard though. Needless to say, it's no the easiest thing to compare as one has to switch the USB cable between the two reclockers and then reselect the new reclocker and reboot the Touch. I'll probably just live with them both for a while and make a decision.

Yeah - I feel your pain!  Changing drivers on the fly can be troublesome, if I had a nickel for every time I've rebooted a Windows PC...

Well the OR5 with the Hynes Reg upgrade is a sota unit - right there with the Berkeley USB.  And for $1649 not including the Dynamo power supply it should be.  The fact a $200 Gustard can remain in the same room speaks volumes.

I just read this on the Empirical website and it set off some interesting questions - like is the Murata transformer on the SPDIF really needed?  Would the sound improve without it.  Can a Breeze be hotwired to bypass it?  Hum...

OTL option (Output TransformerLess)
This option affects the S/PDIF output only. The OTL option reduces jitter at least 50% from the standard Off-Ramp 5 by removing the transformer for the S/PDIF output and changing some associated circuitry. If you have a DAC that already has a transformer on the S/PDIF input (galvanically isolated from ground), then this is an attractive option for you. It is unneccesary to have 2 transformers in series and one at the DAC input is more optimal than one at the Off-Ramp 5.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #3,003 of 3,700
Complete noob question: just opened the u8 and it says 220v everywhere - I'm in the UK and the net is 240, right? Am I missing something?

Also, does it matter what type of ac power cable I use with it?

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #3,004 of 3,700
Complete noob question: just opened the u8 and it says 220v everywhere - I'm in the UK and the net is 240, right? Am I missing something?

Also, does it matter what type of ac power cable I use with it?

I would check with Breeze or the dealer you bought from  - I don't think it's a problem.  Like here 110V or 120V all seem to work fine.  UK is 50 cycles right?

It seem to improve the sound with a better cable -in the UK Russ Andrews has some nice kit.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3,005 of 3,700
No issue on it. my system is 240V 50 hz, and I am using the 220V breeze.

so far, its quite promising, and I just run it today.

may be next week I will replace it with crystek and see how it sounds.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #3,006 of 3,700
  No issue on it. my system is 240V 50 hz, and I am using the 220V breeze.

so far, its quite promising, and I just run it today.

may be next week I will replace it with crystek and see how it sounds.

If you have the equipment and patience - you could start a nice little business selling those Cyrsteks CCHD-957 mounted on DIP14 adapters.

Good luck with the DU-U8 - you know the break in deal.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #3,007 of 3,700
If you have the equipment and patience - you could start a nice little business selling those Cyrsteks CCHD-957 mounted on DIP14 adapters.

Good luck with the DU-U8 - you know the break in deal.

That is something crystek should offer. I am not sure how much difference it can make using these and if a human being can hear the difference. I am more concerned about noise-induced jitter. Plus my setup sounds like perfect for a week. Hard-pressed to find anything to improve on sound-wise. No hole in the spectrum, pinpoint image, micro-dynamics, macro-dynamics, lots of details, no harshness with even the toughest records (big bands for instance), awesome timbres, etc... I am going through all my records.

I am looking forward to hearing about the resuls however and might get tempted, especially if these adapted clocks get on the market.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #3,008 of 3,700
That is something crystek should offer. I am not sure how much difference it can make using these and if a human being can hear the difference. I am more concerned about noise-induced jitter. Plus my setup sounds like perfect for a week. Hard-pressed to find anything to improve on sound-wise. No hole in the spectrum, pinpoint image, micro-dynamics, macro-dynamics, lots of details, no harshness with even the toughest records (big bands for instance), awesome timbres, etc... I am going through all my records.

I am looking forward to hearing about the resuls however and might get tempted, especially if these adapted clocks get on the market.

I agree - the DU-U8 is so good I'm hard pressed to think it can sound better.  But then I added the Art Audio PB4x4Pro line conditioner - another level, then the Cerious Graphene - another level - the LightSpeed 2G - another level - modded Jitterbug/VBUS blocker (not as extreme - but noticeable) - even better.

Now those were not mods to the Breeze itself - just better feeding.  I'm in no hurry at all to mod or change the Breeze - the best my systems have ever sounded.  You hit the nail on the head for the details - it's the total package.  That's why I've stopped here and worked to make the system around the DU-U8 better - it hasn't reached it's amazing full capabilities.  It just keeps scaling higher and higher - like a $6K Dynavector XV-1S phono cartridge.

Right now going through dozens of favorite CDs and digitalized LPs (at 32 bit 176K sampling from my old $30K analog rig).  Each now like hearing for the first time - the detail retrieval and presence is astonishing.

beerchug.gif

But I know I will try, eventually, to make it better - it's in my genes.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #3,009 of 3,700
I agree - the DU-U8 is so good I'm hard pressed to think it can sound better.  But then I added the Art Audio PB4x4Pro line conditioner - another level, then the Cerious Graphene - another level - the LightSpeed 2G - another level - modded Jitterbug/VBUS blocker (not as extreme - but noticeable) - even better.

Now those were not mods to the Breeze itself - just better feeding.  I'm in no hurry at all to mod or change the Breeze - the best my systems have ever sounded.  You hit the nail on the head for the details - it's the total package.  That's why I've stopped here and worked to make the system around the DU-U8 better - it hasn't reached it's amazing full capabilities.  It just keeps scaling higher and higher - like a $6K Dynavector XV-1S phono cartridge.

Right now going through dozens of favorite CDs and digitalized LPs (at 32 bit 176K sampling from my old $30K analog rig).  Each now like hearing for the first time - the detail retrieval and presence is astonishing.

:beerchug:

But I know I will try, eventually, to make it better - it's in my genes.

Could you point me to the jitterbug mod descrption?

Thanks in advance and thanks by the way for being so proactive with digital interface testing. I owe you one for acquiring the breeze.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #3,010 of 3,700
Could you point me to the jitterbug mod descrption?

Thanks in advance and thanks by the way for being so proactive with digital interface testing. I owe you one for acquiring the breeze.

Thanks - it has paid off beyond my expectations.  Wow a long journey from the original M2Tech Hiface.

Sure just pop open the case and clip the pin 1 wire on the USB A female.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #3,011 of 3,700
It's too bad that the Cerious Power cable did not come recommended to me by the owner of the company. Due to my setup it's not ideal apparently. I'm using a balanced power setup from my P300 and that Cerious Power cable is not designed for that type of A/C Power.  Oh well, bummer. He says a typical designed power cable would be a better option for my needs.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #3,012 of 3,700
  It's too bad that the Cerious Power cable did not come recommended to me by the owner of the company. Due to my setup it's not ideal apparently. I'm using a balanced power setup from my P300 and that Cerious Power cable is not designed for that type of A/C Power.  Oh well, bummer. He says a typical designed power cable would be a better option for my needs.

Wow - an honest guy!  You have to appreciate that.  What are you looking to try?  I have had good success with Synergistic Research and Shunyata - except now SR has just gone insane with their prices.

What's so different about the P300 other the it's a sign generated 60hz signal?

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #3,013 of 3,700
You mean super duper clean sine wave? and the P300 can actually change the cycles from 50hz all the way up to 600hz. But this can translate to more Heat, and many transformers can't handle it. If you have high quality R-Core transformers than they can usually handle around 400hz -600hz for more efficient and natural sound. :)  and my system sounds good. It would actually be nice to meet up and compare our setups sometime. Seriously would love to hear what you have setup. It seems we are both passionate about tweaking and getting every last drop out of our systems.

the PS300 is Balanced AC. 60v on each lead...still 120v gets to power...but balanced...the cerious cable is designed to be beefy on one side, and not on the other...normal cables are designed to be equal on both neutral and hot. So a normal cable is better suited for balanced A/C.

Balanced AC is super uncommon, yet my ac regenerator does that. Typically found in hospitals I suppose.

I have a Synergistic research Tesla T1 cable for sale. I don't care for it with my setup. Likely better for tube amps. It's too bright for me. I like a more relaxed smooth sound. My 8 gauge PS audio Lab cable has been the best cable i've used so far. I have since cryo'd it after installing SonarQuest Silver plated red copper connectors.  

have you tested your power cables with a circuit load tester? I love to do this to see what their true capability is. grab one of these if you don't have one already.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058ELNFY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

test ACSS, available short circuit current,  to get some raw numbers to calculate the cables true ability to delivery power. the T1 cable is pretty darn good, and not surprising since it's been tesla treated. Tesla treated cables have always tested very very very good in comparison to normal cables. Cryo'd and cooked cables also do a bit better too. I would love to see what the Graphene cable does. it's likely very good. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #3,014 of 3,700
On another note.  I picked up a Anticables 3.1 USB cable to try out with my system. Possibly a YFS split REF cable too, (thinking about this) 

http://anticables.com/interconnects/digital-rca-interconnects#!/Level-3-1-Reference-Series-USB-Digital-Interconnect/p/39552504/category=3682629

I love the look of this cable too, but the external power lead is kind of odd yet likely effective. 

I'm still quite happy with my Gustard U12 after all the mods. At first I wasn't impressed with the sound at all. The 957's make a world of a difference. 

Now i'm looking into the LKS Amanero Combo 384 with the Crystek 575's and LPS board. Two PCBs. i'm going to get a separate Rcore R10 transformer to power it and figure a way out to modify and fit it inside my Master11. :D  

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #3,015 of 3,700
Hi
I received the contenter of the U12... the Breeze ! a few hours ago
very harsh out of the box and still after 6hours burning.
As some of you stated that changing the power cord brings a lot... I did not change the power cord because I do not have a "good" or "pricey" one to test, but I have a power filter (Schaffner) on a fairly basic power cord.
As soon as I change the cord provided by Breeze, wit the same cheap one with the filter in the middle of the basic cord => harshness out !
Thus more than changiing the power cord on the Breeeze, it seems that it is very sentiive to power (and ahead).
Before receiving the Breeze,I tested this power cord with Schaffner on the G.U12 => slightly less harsh but not night & day.
Today on the Breeze, it is like night & day.
Maybe I should have wiat for longer than 6-7 hours burnin ?...
I'll complete my feedback in the coming days
Can't tell yet anyway if it is far better than G.U12, but it seems (only with the filter on my setup, otherwie it's too harsh)
Rgds

EDIT : I have the version 3, with Telema transformer & "golden" clocks.... I can't tell if it make a diff of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back