Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Dec 16, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,031 of 3,700
Thats with the Breeze. and its to the MSB Analog DAC via coaxial. I can play DSD and SACD via DOP. this is new discovery.

Will try dual OCXO soon, when I reach 250hours. the power cord to breeze is AC revive ultimate.

I have the mad scientist NEO power cord hook up to the CAS. 

what surprise me is that the LM2941 is inherently noisy as compared to the LT 3042, yet the sound is quite good. perhaps the dual rail helps. given a choice, I will DIY a separate R-core tranny with DIYINHK LT3042 to the clock and peripherals.

The lt3042 is quite good indeed. I'm looking into the LKS implementation of the amanero combo 384 two piece pcb. It uses the lt3042 ldo for its linear psu pcb. And the amanero was outfitted with the crystek 575's! About 180usd for this! I just need to figure out how to fit it properly in the master11 along with a small dedicate r10 rcore transformer. Quite a fun project. But that USB input would be very ideal for my needs.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,032 of 3,700
  Odd, the grey ones are installed in the later models. which likely had the Multiwave2...hmmm...you didn't like the sound quality. so strange as i've not heard anything bad about them before. The outlets however..... awful imho.

The maestro outlet is by far the best outlet i've heard from any company! One is on order to replace the Gaofei..I likely will keep the SR Teslaplex in my P300 as I want to run tube gear sometime in the future. And the Teslaplex seems to synergize well for most tube gear. But too bright for digital gear especially the Sabre dacs...but even with my R2R master11 I prefer something else.

Some of the P300's had a notorious failure rate with bleeding caps... that would affect the sound quality/dynamics obviously!  The p300 should bring out the best in your system if it was setup properly. 50hz-60hz is ideal for most systems. and I have mine set for 117v...after testing output at the outlet, it actually was outputting exactly 120v.

Mine doesn't get very hot. its definitely warm. But the Multiwave2 fixes a lot of that supposedely. I don't use the Multiwave2 options. just pure sine wave. The fan is super quiet and works very well. I try not to use more than 100-150watts as the unit will warm up to the point it acts like a heater in my room. 100ish watts is ideal for this unit to stay warm, not hot... my m11, gustard U12 (now with ultra clean power), Paul Hynes SR3 and wife's NFB28 is plugged into it. about 150watts. or 110 approx without her amp turned on. 

I'm considering upgrading all the caps with something fancy. I know there was a company doing upgrades for these a while back. But no longer.

the maestro outlet...check these links!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0114/audiophile_ac_outlets.htm
http://www.cruzefirstaudio.com/maestro_outlet.htm

Nice link - I love that socket comparison.  I'm wondering as my amps are a Class A tube/SS intregrated.  I completely recapped with totl Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil caps and Nichicon FG and Silmic II's -this really smoothed out the sound.  My DAC is a ECC99 tubed APL NWOjr.  So maybe for my system the Teslaplex is perfect - with the big Mundorf cap upgrade I did early this year ($1000 in caps and Mundorf Silver/Teflon wiring  DIY) and the major improvement in my upstream DDC - just the right balance.

My experiments with the PS Audio was 10 yrs ago - so my memory is a bit foggy - but I do remember the gray power port outlets.  I tried every setting possible - but none were quite right for me.  But that was on my old mega system - Conrad Johnson ACT2 pre - Response Audio V-Capped Hurricane mono blocks - Nordost Valhalla cables - Talon Firebird Diamons -dual Velodyne DD-12s.

I also had a Nordost Thor Power Conditioner - that replaced the PS Audio - then the Richard Grays.  So much gear I start to lose track. 
I would love to try a Audience adedpt Response Teflon aR6-TP - a friend has one - it is amazingly good.  $5000 it better be!

I have to say after a couple of decades of intense audio rolling -  my system now is the best ever - and 1/20th the cost.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #3,033 of 3,700

I'm not surprised to hear that there is an improvement to sound by using an ultra low noise powered PPA2.... even a better LPS and PPA3 would further improve sound quality... At least it would get the Breeze an ideal source to begin with and truly work its magic to the full extent. 

not just a new power cord, but clean power with a quality power cord would likely help the Breeze significantly...

I can confirm that changing the power cord to my U12 provided a small upgrade, but pluging the U12 into my PSaudio P300 A/C regen made a world of a difference.  My u12 sounds SO MUCH BETTER, especially with all the mods done to it.  957 crysteks, panasonic caps and IC  swap for pinout hdmi i2s.

I'm having paul hynes look at the U12 now to further improve it's power delivery. Personally I believe the U12 has potential for my system. As an HDMI i2s option, it's the one I prefer. Since the only output from the u12 that is able to send out a master clock is the i2s...the rest of the outputs sound like poo from the u12.  my Master11 is now getting a clock from the i2s HDMI out of the u12. had to turn off the PLL from my M11. But things can't sound any better, short of improving the power delivery in the U12.  I'm hoping Paul Hynes will be able to install a different transformer and regulator to get similar ultra low levels of power. I'm sure it would surpass performance of pretty much any DDC on the market.

-T

I agree - that's a big investment on the USB card side of things - especially for a DDC with external power. 

Since the Breeze requires absolutely no USB power - I'm actually just completely blocking the USB power lines in two ways - a Jitterbug I modded to be a VBUS isolator as well and using a Lightspeed 2G split cable - with only the data line connected.

I did some experimenting with the SotM USB card and late last year a couple of El Fidelity USB cards- really didn't do much - but create Windows issues.
Now the PPA's are in a whole other league - but still wondering if dropping $800 there is worth the payoff?  Especially after the Regen/LPS was a fail on the main system.

Now with the combined cost of around $700 for the Art Audio PB4X4 Pro/Breeze DU-U8/Cerious Graphene/Lightspeed 2G - the payoff has been immense.

I guess another move would be running the entire PC on LPS like an Uptone JS-2 - improving further on the very low ripple fanless switcher I have now.
That's $900.  The JS-2 is very versatile and has the horsepower to easily run a PC and a USB card.   Where as the Teddy or Haynes have to be built for a single voltage - the JS-2 can run 5V, 7V, 9V or 12V.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2-linear-power-supply

Dual-output, choke-filtered linear power supply with four user-selectable DC output voltages.  
Two independently adjustable, separately regulated outputs; Voltage choices are user set from the back panel: 5V, 7V, 9V, or 12V.  
Guaranteed current capability is 5 amps continuous from either output at any voltage setting.  
(Up to 6.8 amps split between outputs, depending upon DC voltage combination; Instantaneous capability of up to 10A).

John Swenson on the benefits of a choke-filtered linear power supply:
The traditional cap only filter (transformer, diode bridge, big cap) produces raw DC with a sawtooth riding on top. That sawtooth produces lots of high frequency components that the regulator has to deal with. Traditional regulators do very well at low frequencies, but have lousy characteristics at high frequencies which means a fair amount of those high frequency components from the cap-only filter get through to the regulator. Fancy discrete regulators do well at blocking the high frequency components, but add cost and complexity to a PS. Our approach is to use a properly designed choke-based supply whose ripple is a perfect sine wave, no high frequency components, thus a traditional regulator works very well. The discrete regulator is not needed to deal with the high frequency components, since there aren't any.
All diode types except Schottkys emit a burst of ultrasonic noise as they turn off. This noise can go forward into the load circuit AND it can go back into the AC line, and it can also excite the transformer resonance. The "slow" diodes still have this ultrasonic noise. Schottkys are the only type which do not have this noise. Schottkys also usually have about half the voltage drop of other diode types and are usually faster. Which type to use depends a lot on what your supply looks like and what you are trying to optimize for. 
With a traditional low voltage design with a large cap right after a bridge you get large current spikes, these produce a large amount of high frequency noise which needs to be filtered by what comes after the cap. In this type of circuit the slow diodes can help cut down on the extent of the high frequencies generated by the sharp high current pulse. BUT they still generate the ultrasonic noise.

This is another reason why we like to use the choke-based design. With the choke there is no steep high current pulse, so no disadvantage to Schottky diodes. You get the advantage of no ultrasonic noise, lower voltage drop (so lower power consumption in the diode) and no big massive current pulses.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #3,034 of 3,700

Thats with the Breeze. and its to the MSB Analog DAC via coaxial. I can play DSD and SACD via DOP. this is new discovery.

Will try dual OCXO soon, when I reach 250hours. the power cord to breeze is AC revive ultimate.

I have the mad scientist NEO power cord hook up to the CAS. 

what surprise me is that the LM2941 is inherently noisy as compared to the LT 3042, yet the sound is quite good. perhaps the dual rail helps. given a choice, I will DIY a separate R-core tranny with DIYINHK LT3042 to the clock and peripherals.

Yes very nice DAC!  That 'Music Renderer' tech looks very promising.  MSB R2R DACs are really sota - only missing a tube output option. 
wink_face.gif

The LM2941 LDO PSRR is one of the best out there, esp at higher frequencies, the stock LDO in the U12 is no where close, same for the MX-U8.  I wouldn't call it 'inherently noisy'  maybe in relation to the LT3042 are better for sure.  But certainly not the U12's LM317T or the MX-U8's LT1963.

Note:

Breeze LM2941 PSRR @1Mhz -68dB
page 8, figure 9 http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2941.pdf

Melodious LT1963 PSRR @1Mhz -20dB
page 8 bottom http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1963fc.pdf

DIYinHK ultra low noise ps board LT3042 PSRR @1Mhz -78dB
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/3042fa.pdf

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,035 of 3,700

I agree - that's a big investment on the USB card side of things - especially for a DDC with external power. 

Since the Breeze requires absolutely no USB power - I'm actually just completely blocking the USB power lines in two ways - a Jitterbug I modded to be a VBUS isolator as well and using a Lightspeed 2G split cable - with only the data line connected.

I did some experimenting with the SotM USB card and late last year a couple of El Fidelity USB cards- really didn't do much - but create Windows issues.
Now the PPA's are in a whole other league - but still wondering if dropping $800 there is worth the payoff?  Especially after the Regen/LPS was a fail on the main system.

Now with the combined cost of around $700 for the Art Audio PB4X4 Pro/Breeze DU-U8/Cerious Graphene/Lightspeed 2G - the payoff has been immense.

I guess another move would be running the entire PC on LPS like an Uptone JS-2 - improving further on the very low ripple fanless switcher I have now.
That's $900.  The JS-2 is very versatile and has the horsepower to easily run a PC and a USB card.   Where as the Teddy or Haynes have to be built for a single voltage - the JS-2 can run 5V, 7V, 9V or 12V.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2-linear-power-supply

what do you mean when you say "especially fo ra DDC with external power" are you referring to the U12?

the PPA3 is NOT a ddc. its just a usb 3.0 card with a very sensitive Femto clock. That femto clock requires external power to function properly...like most femto clocks, they will work well without a good linear power source but not as advertised. The high end power supply for my PPA3 is not for the needs of powering a DDC or my dac...but simply the femto clock on the PPA3. It surely doesn't hurt to have such clean power running throuhg the usb power..certainly better than dirty power that potentially could affect the digital part of the usb cable...or the data section. Noisy power can do that. but not clean power from the pardo or hynes. 
SOTM stuff absolutely sucks imho. it's buggy for one, but just way overpriceded for what they deliver.  The eifidelity is better imho and a fraction of the cost. But the eifidielity isn't all that great if powered from the bus or their crappy external smps connection. with a teradak lps it was ok. 

I'm going to have Paul look into the U12 and see if the LDO can be upgraded along with the transformer. Maybe the LT3042 would be a good choice but I havent even looked into it to see what would be compatible or ideal for the u12. Just plugging the U12 into the PSaudio p300 made a big difference since the power is super clean to begin with.

the JS-2 power supply is insanely overpriced imho... i'd rather opt for a an ultra low noise linear psu from simon tuned. They make insanely good psu's up to 300watts and around .09mv  ripple or 1mv under full load. much better deal than the JS-2 and better spec'd. 
http://www.uuorder.com/Product/37155248719/
run a whole pc on LPS!!!

I have been considering one for my media service build. will have it spec'd with 5v, multiple 12v outputs and 3.3v outputs. perfect for a small pc build. I'm set on getting an OCXO controlled motherboard from Paul Pang. 

and the hynes can be built with multiple outputs as well. everything from Hynes is custom BTW. anything you can dream up can be build. Teddy Pardo as well. they don't just have ONE output. but often are ordered this way. maybe of them can be converted to run other voltages too.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3,036 of 3,700

what do you mean when you say "especially fo ra DDC with external power" are you referring to the U12?

the PPA3 is NOT a ddc. its just a usb 3.0 card with a very sensitive Femto clock. That femto clock requires external power to function properly...like most femto clocks, they will work well without a good linear power source but not as advertised. The high end power supply for my PPA3 is not for the needs of powering a DDC or my dac...but simply the femto clock on the PPA3. It surely doesn't hurt to have such clean power running throuhg the usb power..certainly better than dirty power that potentially could affect the digital part of the usb cable...or the data section. Noisy power can do that. but not clean power from the pardo or hynes. 
SOTM stuff absolutely sucks imho. it's buggy for one, but just way overpriceded for what they deliver.  The eifidelity is better imho and a fraction of the cost. But the eifidielity isn't all that great if powered from the bus or their crappy external smps connection. with a teradak lps it was ok. 

I'm going to have Paul look into the U12 and see if the LDO can be upgraded along with the transformer. Maybe the LT3042 would be a good choice but I havent even looked into it to see what would be compatible or ideal for the u12. Just plugging the U12 into the PSaudio p300 made a big difference since the power is super clean to begin with.

the JS-2 power supply is insanely overpriced imho... i'd rather opt for a an ultra low noise linear psu from simon tuned. They make insanely good psu's up to 300watts and around .09mv  ripple or 1mv under full load. much better deal than the JS-2 and better spec'd. 
http://www.uuorder.com/Product/37155248719/
run a whole pc on LPS!!!

I have been considering one for my media service build. will have it spec'd with 5v, multiple 12v outputs and 3.3v outputs. perfect for a small pc build. I'm set on getting an OCXO controlled motherboard from Paul Pang. 

and the hynes can be built with multiple outputs as well. everything from Hynes is custom BTW. anything you can dream up can be build. Teddy Pardo as well. they don't just have ONE output. but often are ordered this way. maybe of them can be converted to run other voltages too.

Well what I mean is the Breeze requires no USB power - I believe the U12 does require it to activate the relay inside.  Unless it's bypassed - which can be done.  I think the reason folks were going to the USb cards was to decouple their USB powered DDC's from the PC's dirty switching power supply (M2Tech HiFace, Audiophileo, etc...).  The advent of externally powered USB bridges (DDC's) is fairly recent.  Of course there were alternative powering schemes and approached the M2Tech Evo for one.  The need for ultra-clean USB power is negated by the use of a DDC that is completely AC powered and VBUS isolated.  Not saying that the PC's internal USB bus can not be bettered (that would require a PC LPS) - or that a PPA card would not help prevent data packet losses.  I'm sure it would - but that is only a partial solution.

Now the PPA would be excellent to feed directly into a DAC equiped with a decent USB input - esp the OCXO version - as it would serve as the reclocker with a far better clock then the OEM TXCO JYEC's or even the CCHD-957's.  With a LPS OXCO PPA it would seem to me a logical choice to bypass a DDC and go directly into the DAC's USB board.  But then as the Uptone folks mention - internal USB boards can corrupt the PS of the DAC itself with 'packet noise' feeding back in to the DAC's PS system (and it would bepend on the quality of the DAC's internal USB board clocks).

So it seems a bit counter productive to take a PPA OCXO reclocked USB data feed, to only be reclocked by an inferior TXCO, or worse a XO as is typically the case (see the Gustard U12 picture below).  But as with all things audio - the proof is in the listening!
beyersmile.png

Thanks for the link on the LPS I'll check that out.

Cheers

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,037 of 3,700
For those interested in exploring the PPA stuff - sweet stuff!

Paul Professional Audio Studio http://ppastudio.blogspot.com

Here is some info on the USB cards:

PPA V2 card $129:

TXCO clock:

PPA V3: $429: OCXO clock!  Very sweet indeed.

PPA V4 OCXO separate board:

As mentioned this should be fed it's own power from an ultra clean source - linear power supply.  Teddy, Hynes,etc..

Now this can feed a DAC directly if the DAC has it's own built in USB board (like the Yggy MB with a Gen3) or to a DDC like the Gustard or Breeze if your DAC has no USB board  - or a poorly designed one with a shared power supply internally.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #3,038 of 3,700
another cheap option is the Volent USB card.

http://www.volent.com.hk/?page_id=632

BEST for CAS audiophiles

with VOLENT Labs latest USB 3.0 PCIe ultra low jitter clock mod card with discrete PSU, you can be sure your outputed USB signal is governed by ultra lowest jitter clock.  the sonic is more musical and the soundstage will be darker and wider than your motherboard USB port.  the treble have be more airy and you will hear more detail.  The NEC USB chipset will be goverened by a ultra low jitter clock with special selected  OCC Silver wire.

Discrete PSU will be power by OCC Copper with through SATA port to ensure purified power supply.

Lowest Latency you can sure

With VOLENT Labs Ultra low jitter clock usb card,  you can sure your Windows Latency will be lowest which got the best definition. with a fine tuned WIndows 7/8/8.1,  your Windows latency will be as low as 43us to 51us.

1. Ultra low jitter clock with discrete PSU
    Support WIndows 7, 8, 8.1 ,  drivers need to be install
  2. Suport Ubuntu Linux
  3. Please ensure you have one PCIe slot on your motherboard ,  and one SATA Power which can power the USB card
  4. Reaneas usb chipset ,  2 USB 3.0 Port at the back plate and 2 x Internal USB 3.0 port for face plate port (not provided).
  5. Full Height and low profile back plate will be provided

Suggested Retail Price:  USD119

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,039 of 3,700
  another cheap option is the Volent USB card.

http://www.volent.com.hk/?page_id=632

BEST for CAS audiophiles

with VOLENT Labs latest USB 3.0 PCIe ultra low jitter clock mod card with discrete PSU, you can be sure your outputed USB signal is governed by ultra lowest jitter clock.  the sonic is more musical and the soundstage will be darker and wider than your motherboard USB port.  the treble have be more airy and you will hear more detail.  The NEC USB chipset will be goverened by a ultra low jitter clock with special selected  OCC Silver wire.

Discrete PSU will be power by OCC Copper with through SATA port to ensure purified power supply.

Lowest Latency you can sure

With VOLENT Labs Ultra low jitter clock usb card,  you can sure your Windows Latency will be lowest which got the best definition. with a fine tuned WIndows 7/8/8.1,  your Windows latency will be as low as 43us to 51us.

1. Ultra low jitter clock with discrete PSU
    Support WIndows 7, 8, 8.1 ,  drivers need to be install
  2. Suport Ubuntu Linux
  3. Please ensure you have one PCIe slot on your motherboard ,  and one SATA Power which can power the USB card
  4. Reaneas usb chipset ,  2 USB 3.0 Port at the back plate and 2 x Internal USB 3.0 port for face plate port (not provided).
  5. Full Height and low profile back plate will be provided

Suggested Retail Price:  USD119

Thanks for another great link - that one is very interesting Linux support.  Can any of these be used in a Mac Mini?

It looks like the same clock as in the Breeze, Tanly, and Regen - although tough to see at that angle the exact markings.

Regen Amber:

Breeze DU-U8:

Tanly:

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #3,041 of 3,700
The Curious USB is in the house - tonight a face-off against the 2G!

BTW there is a 10G split .8 meter for sale in the classifieds for $499 - tempting...

PS Update - Ok putting the Curious into my office system - it would not work with the modded Jitterbug/VBUS isolator - at all!  Tried uninstalling Chodi's Luckit then reboot fresh install - PC would not 'see' the Breeze.  Tried without the Jitterbug/VBUS blocker - success!

Listening to the awesome Alfred Brendel - Schubert Piano Sonatas.  Well a bit lusher and well a bit flatter then the Supra that was playing perfectly right before.  No where near as impressive as the Lightspeed 2g (cold out of the box new) was over the well burnt in Supra.  Would not spend another dollar over the Supra for this cable in my office system - no way no how.

After hearing this track agian - tried to slip the modded JB back in (this will sometimes work on bauky gear) - no go - Foobar says Jplay ASIO fail.  I guess the Curious needs to have the pin 1 VBUS 5+VDC active - big strike against it for me.

About to pull the trigger on a second 2G for the office - been missing it while it's been doing duty in the main system.  The Paypal finger is twitching...but I will hold off until later tonight to give the Curious a go against the mighty 2G there...
popcorn.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #3,042 of 3,700
I cant wait for the 250hour. so I slot in the 2 x PPA OCXO. its easy as my pc has available slot to do it.

overall the effects is so much greater than the PPA V2. Playing with dual PC mode. the OCXO I have for USB is split type. there is a long lead that connect to the USB card.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,043 of 3,700
OK did the USB cable show down last night for a few hours - very interesting results...

Here is the ranking in my main system:

#1 Lightspeed 2G 1M - by far the best- incisive, uber detailed, big and deep sound stage, greater dynamics, clarity and imaging to die for.  Never etched or harsh - very musical
#2 Curious USB 1M - softer a bit tamer then the 2G - nice in it's own way.  Excellent detail (although the 2G is much greater).  Narrower and shallower sound stage.
#3 Forza Twin Copper Split 1.5M - Excellent for the money- warm, rich tone, excellent detail (but again holds no candle to the 2G).  Keeping this one.
#4 Supra USB 2M - Nice warm presentation.  Cymbals splashy lack realism.  A whole in the middle of the soundstage - made my Maggies sound like boxes.  Selling this one.

No question about it the Lightspeed did things that none of the other cables could - they projected the most detailed realistic imaging in a massively deep and wide sound stage.  The Curious was no where near as good.  The 2G was just as warm and rich in tone - but the clarity and extraordinary detail where jaw dropping.  Much more dynamic and exciting - the Curious a bit boring in comparison.  Went through 6-7 songs I know well - and each time the 2G brought new life and revealed previously hidden details - I just hated to take it out and switch cables.  At least for my system the 2G is the perfect match.  Now I have tubed DACs.  In my office system the 2G actually shined even brighter.  For those with SS DAC's and D-S chips, esp the Sabre DACs, you may need to tame their inherent edginess and brightness and may need the Curious to do so...or the Forza!  In some ways I liked the Forza better then the Curious - although the Curious had better detail. But not better focus.

I love this Forza Copper cable - if I didn't have the 2G - I could live with it easily.  Warm and lushness in tone - nice sound staging - presenting a complete 10 ft wide presentation.  Not the 14ft wide of the 2G - but no holes in the picture.  For those with those Sabre DACs this may be the low cost solution.  On cymbals just a bit of splash, not as bad a the Supra.  Speaking of...

The Supra for the money is a great value - but I would spring for the extra $30 and get the Forza Twin Copper Split.  The Supra has nice rich tone - but it's detail is masked and the presentation the least realistic of all the cables.  Cymbals were not to good.  Muddled and lacking 3D clarity and projection.  Sound staging was pretty bad - with a 4 foot hole in the middle of the narrower sound stage - vocals recessed in a weird way. Made the planar panel Maggies 1.6QRs sound like box speakers.  Voiding much of their magical ability to project a life sized and realistic image.  This one is going on the sale block.

Well I ordered another 2G today - for the office system - where it made an even bigger difference.

Cheers!

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,044 of 3,700
So the testing begins again. I've ordered the 2G 1meter to test, along with the Anticables 1meter 3.1 usb cable. and the Supra 1.5meter, Pangea 1.5meter.

why not, I'm surprised you found the supra to have splashy sound. So I will retest. I've not tested it on a sabre dac, but will do so on my wife's NFB28 as well as my Master 11 R2R dac. will be interesting to see the difference.

I'm currently in the process of converting my Gustard u12 to dc input from the SR3 Hynes supply. I'm gutting the transformer, and ac components. Maybe will install a dexa 5v regulator or see about just using pure hynes dc. Currently Paul and I are discussing that. Getting the U12 to have ultra clean power will surely make it a DDC that will sound great. Especially with the i2s hdmi output and using the 957 clocks. They pretty much are femto level in most situations. The PPA3 ocxo has nothing to do with the audio clock, only usb clock. I may consider to see what options I can do for upgrading the USB clock in the U12, but from what I remember, the same clock is used in the amanero and it's mostly femto level as well, and very very close to it.Phase Jitter 0.04~2.41ps (10Hz~1MHz), Total Phase Jitter (RMS) 2.42ps .  same clock in the breeze, same in the amanero, same in the LKS amanero. likely because it's good 

-T

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #3,045 of 3,700
  So the testing begins again. I've ordered the 2G 1meter to test, along with the Anticables 1meter 3.1 usb cable. and the Supra 1.5meter, Pangea 1.5meter.

why not, I'm surprised you found the supra to have splashy sound. So I will retest. I've not tested it on a sabre dac, but will do so on my wife's NFB28 as well as my Master 11 R2R dac. will be interesting to see the difference.

I'm currently in the process of converting my Gustard u12 to dc input from the SR3 Hynes supply. I'm gutting the transformer, and ac components. Maybe will install a dexa 5v regulator or see about just using pure hynes dc. Currently Paul and I are discussing that. Getting the U12 to have ultra clean power will surely make it a DDC that will sound great. Especially with the i2s hdmi output and using the 957 clocks. They pretty much are femto level in most situations. The PPA3 ocxo has nothing to do with the audio clock, only usb clock. I may consider to see what options I can do for upgrading the USB clock in the U12, but from what I remember, the same clock is used in the amanero and it's mostly femto level as well, and very very close to it.Phase Jitter 0.04~2.41ps (10Hz~1MHz), Total Phase Jitter (RMS) 2.42ps .  same clock in the breeze, same in the amanero, same in the LKS amanero. likely because it's good 

-T

I'll be interested in your cable rolling results.

Yes you are correct on the PPA that is just the 24Mhz USB clock - but I believe it still gets reclocked by the Gustard U12 XO 24 Mhz.  All the clocks I had shown were the 24Mhz USB ones.
One question if the stock USB 24Mhz XO clock in the U12, MX-U8, DU-U8 is femto level - what's the purpose of an OCXO in the PPA?  Seems like $429 is a lot of money for not much gain?  OCXO marketing hype?

From Uptone on the XO they use in the Regen and John Swenson's comments on the importance of the USB clock (not as important as the clocks that feeds the DAC - your 957's).  So in light of that is seems the PPA OCXO is way overkill - but again this is all theory - what sounds best is what's important!
Originally Posted by JohnSwenson
Something very strange happened, I actually have a few minutes free so I can talk about this.

First off on REGEN clock jitter in general. The whole purpose of the REGEN is to improve the signal integrity so the USB PHY in the DAC generates less noise. Jitteris a PART of the signal integrity, but as far as I know not a very large part. Meaning going into ultra low jitter territory should not make much of a difference. I have designed a few USB PHYs and none of those would have much of any noise difference when the incoming jitter goes from really good to really really good. But that doesn't mean all PHYs behave the same way.

Note that the clock in the REGEN is not the same as the clock in the DAC that feeds the DAC chip(s). THAT clock is very important. The REGEN clock is not even the clock that is in charge of the timing of the I2S signals to the DAC chip, that is part of the DAC again. It is not even in charge of the USB processing in the DAC's USBreceiver, that is controlled by the clock connected the USB chip in the DAC. About the only thing it can possibly affect is the PG noise from the PHY.

The Neutron Star looks like a well implemented external clock but I have not seen a phase noise plot for it so it is hard to tell how good it really is. If anyone has actually seen a phase noise plot I would like to see it.

The connection of the Neutron Star to the REGEN shown earlier in this thread shows an unterminated connection. The coax is just connected across the original clock pads. This is not necessarily the best way to connect a clock. The BEST way is to have a termination resistor at the destination side that matches the impedance of the cable, which I presume is 50 ohms. But in order for that to work the output impedance of the clock also needs to be 50 ohm. I did not see anything in the documentation which specifies the output impedance. There is an output transformer but no information on its characteristics or the circuit driving it. So given the unterminated connection and non-specified output impedance, there are likely to be reflections at the connection to the board. Given the fairly short length of the cable they may not have any impact on the hub chip, but who knows, I certainly have not done any analysis on the SI sensitivity of the hub chip clock input.

All my previous experimentation with DAC clocks has shown that the external clock REALLY has to be much better than the on board one it is replacing to make any significant difference, the connection from board to board almost always adds enough signal degradation to partially counteract the "goodness" of the external clock.

Because of all of the above I was surprised by the amount of improvement heard with the Neutron Star. I would have assumed some small improvement, but not doubling the improvement of the REGEN. The only thing I can think of is that if this was a system that was already highly optimized, so the SI was already very good, the SI improvement of the off the shelf REGEN would not be all that large, so maybe in that case lower jitter may have larger percentage of the total improvement.

I want to emphasize that I am NOT recommending that everybody go out and spend $600 upgrading the clock. There is not nearly enough information to know how effective this is going to be on most systems. If you REALLY want to spend the money trying this you are of course free to do so, (it does void the warrantee), but be prepared that it may not double the improvement in YOUR system.

John S.

Of course the modders are already in action - got to love this hobby!  Here is the mod Swenson refers to and the Neutron Star clock.

I've recently upgraded the clock of my Regen Amber:​
The clock I've chosen is a NewClassD Neutron Star Reference Clock with 24.000 MHz. The clock features an own separate low-noise power supply and galvanic insulation towards the Regen. For further Information check out here:​
The careful disassembly of Regen's clock was a quite easy job to do.​
The clock upgrade resulted in a further, significant increase of SQ. Definitely greater than I've expected when I decided to take this experiment. Subjectively said it is about doubling the positive impact Regen Amber brought to my system!​
There is again an instantly noticable portion of increased air, room information, realism and emotion in the overall sound. Quite unbelievable and breathtaking. Sending a chill down my spine during listening to already well-known tracks.​
So I would just like to encourage the diyers around here to take this step. It's more than worthy the efford and extra costs and it literally takes the Regen into extremes.​
All the best, Henning​

http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=36

I'll be interested to see the DC mod you re working on -that would be interesting.

Another solution would be to have Paul design a new ultra clean 115V to 9V power supply and feed that right into the U12's AC input lines.  I thought of doing that with an R-Core transformer - but have not had time to mess with that.

The Breeze uses a 7.5V input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back