Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Dec 17, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #3,046 of 3,700
So how exactly does one run 32bit 384khz on Gustard U12? Mine only goes up to 24bit 192khz in Windows 8.1.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,047 of 3,700

I'll be interested in your cable rolling results.

Yes you are correct on the PPA that is just the 24Mhz USB clock - but I believe it still gets reclocked by the Gustard U12 XO 24 Mhz.  All the clocks I had shown were the 24Mhz USB ones.
One question if the stock USB 24Mhz XO clock in the U12, MX-U8, DU-U8 is femto level - what's the purpose of an OCXO in the PPA?  Seems like $429 is a lot of money for not much gain?  OCXO marketing hype?

From Uptone on the XO they use in the Regen and John Swenson's comments on the importance of the USB clock (not as important as the clocks that feeds the DAC - your 957's).  So in light of that is seems the PPA OCXO is way overkill - but again this is all theory - what sounds best is what's important!

Of course the modders are already in action - got to love this hobby!  Here is the mod Swenson refers to and the Neutron Star clock.

http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=36

I'll be interested to see the DC mod you re working on -that would be interesting.

Another solution would be to have Paul design a new ultra clean 115V to 9V power supply and feed that right into the U12's AC input lines.  I thought of doing that with an R-Core transformer - but have not had time to mess with that.

The Breeze uses a 7.5V input

thats odd, my U12 is different, it uses a 7V transformer. :D

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #3,049 of 3,700
So how exactly does one run 32bit 384khz on Gustard U12? Mine only goes up to 24bit 192khz in Windows 8.1.

Well first you have to have a 32bit 384K file - you can up sample a 24/96 - but that won't increase the bit rate.  DxD  (24/354K) can be downloaded from the 2L website:
http://www.2l.no

You can also download DSD 64 and 128 files.  For Spdif you can use SoX resampler in Foobar to downsample DxD to 24/192 or 24/176k.  Also Foobar has a DSD to PCM converter that works pretty good.

Then you'll need to run i2s to a DAC that can process that high a bit stream.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3,050 of 3,700

Pinout is not correct since U12 has LM317D2T (surface mounted).
I read some reviews about Belleson on diy fora, Belleson seems NOT to regulate as it should, it does filter noise but not regulate, so i am going for the NewClassD.

If you replace Philips (BC) caps 2200uF-25V with Panasonic FC 4700uF-25V like i did, then there's room enough for the UWB 
wink_face.gif

You still have to bend the connections but it is possible.

As you can see, Input is the right pin and NOT the left one as showed on the UWB pic with normal LM317.
On the PCB you can see three holes at the LM317's left side, they ALL are connected with output, so you can use one of those to connect to UWB's output.
As ground you can best take -pole of one of the 2 Panasonic FC's

Btw, Voltage output of LM317D2T in my U12 is 5.1V

As you can see, i didn't fully cover the 330uF-16V caps with 3M stuff because we have to replace them with 10n (MKP)
when swapping the reg with NewClassD UWB, 

I ordered the Dexa Class D 5V regulator, do you have a little instructions to the best way to swap this for the LM317? What other parts would be needed to? you mention 10N MKP? where can I get those? are those wima? I'm better at replacing parts than understanding them :D

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3,051 of 3,700
well snap. I was putting some EMI/RF 3M film stuff on my U12 tonight and somehow caused a short and blew the transformer...time to convert it to DC now. It burned a hole through the board on the top primary connection. I plugged it in for all but a split second and hurt a fizzle. nothing else seems to be damaged. 

:/

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #3,052 of 3,700
  well snap. I was putting some EMI/RF 3M film stuff on my U12 tonight and somehow caused a short and blew the transformer...time to convert it to DC now. It burned a hole through the board on the top primary connection. I plugged it in for all but a split second and hurt a fizzle. nothing else seems to be damaged. 

That's not good to hear :frowning2: I suppose the best way to revive it is external psu. But, maybe it's an option to go the way of Breeze since it performs very good (as rb2013 says).

To connect Dexa, the pinouts are as showed in the dexa picture. The 10N MKP it's 10 nano farad and mkp is polypropylene film capacitor, wima is good.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #3,053 of 3,700

Sorry to hear that!  I would also avoid using it on the XMOS and LODs as they generate heat and the 3M shielding can trap that heat.  I see that the BReeze actually uses a heat sink on the XMOS - unlike any of the others. 

That's not good to hear :frowning2: I suppose the best way to revive it is external psu. But, maybe it's an option to go the way of Breeze since it performs very good (as rb2013 says).

To connect Dexa, the pinouts are as showed in the dexa picture. The 10N MKP it's 10 nano farad and mkp is polypropylene film capacitor, wima is good.

As soon as the Holidays are over I will order a third Breeze to experiment on.  Clock upgrades, different caps, etc... We'll see if any of that helps.

Cheers!

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #3,054 of 3,700

The 3m ab5100s has metal particles in it, so it is conductive where there is no coating. When you cut the stuff, the edges Will be conductive. You have to be careful to not let those edges come in direct contact with the board.

I also agree that it is best not to apply on components that are effected by heat. Clock crystals are definitely effected by heat, so I leave it off those. Otherwise, I find the stuff very beneficial -especially in shielding the power supply from the rest of the components.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #3,055 of 3,700

No more power issues with the U12... :D the transformer is gutted and now running on pure linear power. :)

will just gut the a/c components to make more room on the PCB. Right now i'm just using my R-Core Teradak DC30W and have it rigged up to send out 7V out instead of the stock 5V setting. It's pretty easy to switch up. 

I was going to sell it, but maybe will just use my Teddy Pardo to power the U12.

Honestly I am not interested in the Breeze since it doesn't have i2s Hdmi.

on the U12, all outputs sound infererior when compared to the i2s Hdmi out. I'm not surprised that the U12 didn't get better reviews if one was using other outputs.

-T

Not sure if I need the LM317T in there, may gut it and not run a regulator since the linear psu should be doing all that work now. Although the Dexa new classD is likely better than the one that is in the Teradak, but definitely not better than the Teddy Pardo. So if I bypass the LM317t, i'm not sure the best way to do that while removing it from the PCB.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #3,056 of 3,700
YES, it was the edges that caused the problem. The transformer top right primary shorted. I did a quick job and overlooked it. Fortunately nothing else was damaged. It actually sounds better now that it's running on pure dc linear power. :D

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #3,057 of 3,700
Do anyone think it would be possible to get HDMI i2s input on the breeze? If I was to salvage parts from the u12 and replace the rj45 output of the breeze? Would love to know if this would be possible. I truly with the breeze had HDMI out. :/

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,058 of 3,700
So i am going to order an HDMI i2s output pcb from audio-gd and look into wiring it into a breeze in replacement of the rj45 port. Can someone show me a detailed photo of the rj45 port and how it looks inside the unit. It should be able to be wired up easily as its standard i2s input. And maybe, just maybe I will order a breeze if so. :) I like doing things custom and sounds like a fun project to try. Albeit the clocks in the breeze would likely be update to crystek 957 or 575z
But if they are 22 and 24's than maybe some femto clocks would be ideal.

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3,059 of 3,700
So i am going to order an HDMI i2s output pcb from audio-gd and look into wiring it into a breeze in replacement of the rj45 port. Can someone show me a detailed photo of the rj45 port and how it looks inside the unit. It should be able to be wired up easily as its standard i2s input. And maybe, just maybe I will order a breeze if so.
smily_headphones1.gif
I like doing things custom and sounds like a fun project to try. Albeit the clocks in the breeze would likely be update to crystek 957 or 575z
But if they are 22 and 24's than maybe some femto clocks would be ideal.

Here you go - that would be an interesting experiment.

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #3,060 of 3,700

Here you go - that would be an interesting experiment.

Hmmm, at least I know what i'm dealing with. a PITA! tight spot and no leads. so it's tough to say. I guess i'd have to buy one and take it apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back