Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Dec 12, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #2,986 of 3,700
I haven't tried many. I went from a belden to the az and noticed a nice improvment. This breeze is the best value i have ever bought as audio equipment. The designer hit a homerun with this one,

I agree - I've been through almost a dozen different USB Bridges some pretty expensive - it's the best yet.

Once I get some time will try some mods on it to if that's worth it.  Crystek clocks will be my first project.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #2,987 of 3,700

Here is the DU-U8 pinouts.  There are no standards when it comes to i2s - it was not meant to be an external hookup.  It was designed for very short (inches) connection inside a CD player between the transport and DAC board.

Thank you !
My project is to use I2s connection to link the DU-U8 to the "I.AM.D V200" FDA (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pure-Digital-Audio-Amplifier-Precise-DSP-Processor-105db-High-Dynamic-150W-2-CM6631A-24Bit-192KHz-USB/32417096558.html)
There is no I2S input on this very nice digital amplifier, but his board has pins where we may connect I2S (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/280228-i-am-d-v200-fx-audio-d802-optimisation-tpa3116.html)
The connection must not be so short if you use S/FTP Cat7A cable.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #2,988 of 3,700
I agree - I've been through almost a dozen different USB Bridges some pretty expensive - it's the best yet.

Once I get some time will try some mods on it to if that's worth it.  Crystek clocks will be my first project.

I am not sure about modding. Those golden clocks might been cherry picked. The breeze sounds so perfectly i don't want to jinx it. Maybe the filtering capacitors...

It is worthwhile trying digital ics in my opnion. For instance, Acoustic zen makes cable that are claimed to reduce jitter. My friend uses a div3 (fed by a really good psu) hooked with an az silverbyte to an audio-gd nfb-8 and his setup sounds so good. I suppose the silverbyte helps a lot.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #2,989 of 3,700
I am not sure about modding. Those golden clocks might been cherry picked. The breeze sounds so perfectly i don't want to jinx it. Maybe the filtering capacitors...

It is worthwhile trying digital ics in my opnion. For instance, Acoustic zen makes cable that are claimed to reduce jitter. My friend uses a div3 (fed by a really good psu) hooked with an az silverbyte to an audio-gd nfb-8 and his setup sounds so good. I suppose the silverbyte helps a lot.

Well back about a hundred pages ago (boy how this thread has grown) when we were looking at modding the Gustard U12 and the Melodious MX-U8 a lot was said about upgrading the clocks.

All these units use the same OEM TXCO Chinese clocks which are very good.  But when compared to the very best low noise Crysteks or NDK's they are orders of maginitude greater in noise.  So it's the phase noise numbers that matter not so much the .01ppm clock drift figures.

Here is how the 'gold' TXCO clocks stack up (remember every 3dB is a doubling of the noise):

JYEC OEM TXCO       -125dB@1kHz (the only frequency these numbers have been published)
Cyrstek CCHD-957      -153dB@1kHz, -163 @10kHz, -168@100kHz
NDK SD                       -155dB@1kHz, -158@10kHz, -158@100kHz

So we are talking orders of magnitude lower noise.  The top USB bridge the Berkely Audio uses the Crystek clocks, as does the Hydra Z and the Tanly.  But in my extensive (I had a linear powered Hydra Z for months) the Breeze was better - so clocks are not the only important factor.  But I am curious as to if or by how much the Breeze would improve with the Crysteks.  Breeze declined to install them at the factory.  And since the CCHD-957 is a SMD design (no through the hole pin version available yet), it's not an easy install.  They need to be carefully mounted on a 14pin DIP socket first.

That requires a hot air soldering gun and low temp solder.  A decent soldering unit is a few hundred dollars.

The clocks are not too expense - $26 each at Digikey.

I will try and replace the caps after the clocks - those Pannie XPO caps look very good and maybe part of the reason the Breeze sounds so good.  But worth a try to swap in some low ESR Nichicons just to see.  It's an easy mod and reversible.

I'll check out the Silverbytes - right now the Cerious Graphene Extreme has made a very significant improvement in sound.  Had a silver wire/rhodium plug cord before - the Cerious was  a major leap ahead.  They're not cheap but not outrageous at $250 for the low current Red model (special Audiogon price - normally $500).  Bought a second to try on my DAC and similar improvements (over the Synergistic Research X2 Ref Master Coupler Active).
http://cerioustechnologies.com

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,990 of 3,700
Well back about a hundred pages ago (boy how this thread has grown) when we were looking at modding the Gustard U12 and the Melodious MX-U8 a lot was said about upgrading the clocks.

All these units use the same OEM TXCO Chinese clocks which are very good.  But when compared to the very best low noise Crysteks or NDK's they are orders of maginitude greater in noise.  So it's the phase noise numbers that matter not so much the .01ppb clock drift figures.

Here is how the 'gold' TXCO clocks stack up (remember every 3dB is a doubling of the noise):

JYEC OEM TXCO       -125dB@1kHz (the only frequency these numbers have been published)

So we are talking orders of magnitude lower noise.  The top USB bridge the Berkely Audio uses the Crystek clocks, as does the Hydra Z and the Tanly.  But in my extensive (I had a linear powered Hydra Z for months) the Breeze was better - so clocks are not the only important factor.  But I am curious as to if or by how much the Breeze would improve with the Crysteks.  Breeze declined to install them at the factory.  And since the CCHD-957 is a SMD design (no through the hole pin version available yet), it's not an easy install.  They need to be carefully mounted on a 14pin DIP socket first.

That requires a hot air soldering gun and low temp solder.  A decent soldering unit is a few hundred dollars.

I will try and replace the caps after the clocks - those Pannie XPO caps look very good and maybe part of the reason the Breeze sounds so good.  But worth a try to swap in some low ESR Nichicons just to see.  It's an easy mod and reversible.

I'll check out the Silverbytes - right now the Cerious Graphene Extreme has made a very significant improvement in sound.  Had a silver wire/rhodium plug cord before - the Cerious was  a major leap ahead.  They're not cheap but not outrageous at $250 for the low current Red model (special Audiogon price - normally $500).  Bought a second to try on my DAC and similar improvements (over the Synergistic Research X2 Ref Master Coupler Active).

Well that solering job is too much for my skills. I might venture into trying better caps later on. Crytek should offer adapting to a solder-through pcb as an option. I don't know why they don't.

Acoustic zen makes also a more high-end digital cable which is called mc2=zen. Never tried that one. But my experience is that those cables help. But there may be better cables these days, not sure, for the money. The digital zens use upocc silver. And at the time those cable were released, they were better than cables cost 2-3 times more.

I am not sure a human can hear the difference under -125db of phase noise. I would rather concentrate on preventing noise from coming into the breeze, as i did so far,

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,992 of 3,700

All these units use the same OEM TXCO Chinese clocks which are very good.  But when compared to the very best low noise Crysteks or NDK's they are orders of maginitude greater in noise.  So it's the phase noise numbers that matter not so much the .01ppm clock drift figures.

Can I get the special pricing on the cerious graphene extreme cable? would you let me know if thats still possible? I'm interested to do some testing with that cable. Please let me know. Your claims seem to say it's more than a subtle upgrade but a very noticeable upgrade. :D

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #2,993 of 3,700

Can I get the special pricing on the cerious graphene extreme cable? would you let me know if thats still possible? I'm interested to do some testing with that cable. Please let me know. Your claims seem to say it's more than a subtle upgrade but a very noticeable upgrade. :D

Well I just ordered my third - this one for the DU-U8 in the office system.  After asking him nicely he was kind enough to honor it.

I think he would do the same for you - I'd email him - or better if you're an Audiogon member message him on one of his other ads. 

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/speaker-cerious-technologies-graphene-extreme-6-foot-set-speaker-cable-2015-11-19-cables-85382-peoria-az

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #2,994 of 3,700
  Bob, I plan to upgrade the spdif input jack on DU-U8. What do you recommend for hookup wire to replace the green/yellow wires? And what guage?

Yeah me too!  I have a nice pure Tellurium copper Eichman left from my DAC60 mod.  I'm going to do the same - It's nice that the DU-U8 SPDIF RCA jack is not one of those direct board soldered ones, that make install way easier.

I use Mundorf solid silver, 1% gold teflon dielectric.   I have some left over from my DAC60 mod project as well.  But any high quality cable would work.  I just find the solid wire cable easier to solder into the board holes.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_mundorf.html

Here is something  I used on the DAC60 for Choke wiring, it's a lot cheaper:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_neotech_cu_tef_sc.html

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,995 of 3,700

Well I just ordered my third - this one for the DU-U8 in the office system.  After asking him nicely he was kind enough to honor it.

I think he would do the same for you - I'd email him - or better if you're an Audiogon member message him on one of his other ads. 

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/speaker-cerious-technologies-graphene-extreme-6-foot-set-speaker-cable-2015-11-19-cables-85382-peoria-az

what is the exact model/specs of the one you purchased? do you have photos? their website is terrible and not much info or photos.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,996 of 3,700
Is there anyone based in the UK who'd be willing to check up my DU-U8 for a reasonable fee, or anyone know of any decent outfits that can do this for me? I can post it or bring it down if in London area :)

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #2,997 of 3,700
  what is the exact model/specs of the one you purchased? do you have photos? their website is terrible and not much info or photos.

Here is the Audiogon Ad picture when the 3rd arrives I'll snap a photo before install.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/ac-cables-cerious-technologies-graphene-extreme-black-friday-sale-2015-11-09-power-85382-peoria-az?show_listing=true

We have found that experiencing our Graphene Extreme cables is our best sales tool. Once you hear them in your system you will be blown away at the performance - at any price. So,,,to help you discover what we believe to be the best sounding cables at ANY price, we bring you the CT Black Friday Sales Event. You may choose any single Graphene Extreme product of your choice and purchase it for 1/2 of retail price and we also pay for shipping (within the US). Please check out our updated website for more information on the Graphene Extreme line!
For sale today is one 5 foot long Graphene Extreme power cable optimized for low current detail. Each GE jacket is filled with damping materials to eliminate vibrations. The RED power cables use finer ceramics to address smaller micro vibrations of lower current levels. Each RED PC uses a Gold Plated connector which works better at lower current levels (our listening test exposed this…). We offer a 100% money back guarantee and a liberal trade in policy if you are a previous Cerious Technologies client. You may be surprised how affordable it is to upgrade to the Graphene Extreme. So what do you get with the Graphene Extreme? More quiet and detail. Who doesn’t want that?
Our goal of creating the most sonically transparent cables ever created has been brought to a new level. First let me say we continue to be very proud of the Nano Signature, as it was sonically outstanding. The Graphene Extreme takes the concepts of the Nano to whole other levels. While other "wire" companies utilize bigger gauge conductors as the line increases in price to justify the increased cost, Cerious Technologies works at the molecular level getting the conductor closer to an ideal conductor.
Each Graphene Extreme conductor employs five elements –
• Copper
• Silver
• Carbon Fiber
• Liquid Ceramic
• Graphene sub-Nano particles of our own manufacture.
Each of these elements brings a unique characteristic to the table. Designers have long understood that multiple fine gauges of wire offers improved high frequency sonics. Limited to wire based cables you may be able to fit 37 strands into a conductor. Each Graphene Extreme power conductor has over 128,000 strands! The key element is tying all these components into one coherent conductor. This is what separates the Graphene Extreme from the Nano Signature. Sub-Nano particles of carbon are suspended in our proprietary Liquid Ceramic and saturated into the conductor bundle. The Teflon tube is then shrunk to compress these particles into every gap between components forming one solid coherent conductor.
What does this get you sonically? We all are attracted to the purity and coherence of single driver loudspeakers, but are frustrated by their inherent limitations. Multi-driver loudspeakers get you everything else but lose the magic. The same applies to cables. The closer you get to a conductor that acts as one single conductor the more transparent it becomes. Solid core cables have exposed this but are limited the same way single driver loudspeakers are. The Graphene Extreme gets closer to the behavior of a single conductor than any other cable ever produced. The sonics achieved are complete and utter transparency. It simply is not there. Isn’t that what we want in a cable? Please check out our other cables in the Graphene Extreme line and thank you checking us out!

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #2,998 of 3,700
OK the LH Labs Lightspeed 2G USB split cable just arrived.  Immediately installed into the office system I have been listening to all morning.

Replacing the 1.5M Supra that been running for several weeks - an immediate change in the sound!

The volume is so much greater - that is weird.  I only turned off my PC and DU-U8 and replaced the USB cable - amp/DAC all left exactly the same.

So much more detail and clarity - dynamics as well.  I'm a cable believer  - but this is truly baffling me.  Using only the Data line - the power left unplugged.  My modded Jitterbug/VBUS isloator in between.

Very, very nice.  Just a hint of edge - which I'm sure will go away with run time.

I find it really hard to believe that folks could not hear a difference between the 10g and the Supra.

Will run it all day -as wifey has a Xmas shopping exposition planned.

Then tonight once she watching Lifetime - I'll put in the main system.  Just as I'm typing this listening to Mozart Murray Perahia English Chamber Orch - "The Piano Concertos & Rondos K.382 & 386".  I'm floored at the depth of the acoustic bass notes and delicacy of the solo piano strikes.  Seriously great stuff.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,999 of 3,700
OK last night a long listening session on the main system with the Lightspeed 2G feeding the DU-U8- not as dramatic a difference as in my office system.  But no less important.  What the 2G did was great fun - it infused the imaging with greater holopgrahy.  The sound stage widened and deepened further - really cavernous now.  But the real magic was how the vocals and instruments emerged in the huge sound field.  Really hard to explain this - the images appeared and disappeared more naturally with greater micro-dynamics, the sound images more 3D, producing a greater effect of radiating out as point sources.  Focused, detailed, life sized, super realistic. 

Not nearly as big of a vol gain  - in fact very slight.  Absolutely no hint of edge or grain - I put the worst recordings I could find up - just relaxed and musical.  An absolute winner.
Bass did not extend but became better defined. 

This was vs the Forza Twin Copper split.  The 2G only hours out of the box.  This system using only my modded Jitterbug/VBUS blocker - no Regen. 
SPDIF Coax to my APL NWOjr DAC - linked by the excellent Audio Sensibilities Statement SE Silver 1.5M digital cable.

I'm a big believer in synergies - especially with cables.  It seems I have lucked out recently with cables the Cerious Graphene and Lightspeed matching very well with the Breeze DU-U8.  I've not always had such luck with new cables - my 200+ Audiogon transactions can attest to that!

I would have ordered another 2G last night - but a friend has sent his Curious USB cable (not to be confused with Cerious Technology - completely separate companies).  Should be here next week.  So before I buy another 2G I want to hear the Curious USB cable - for $380 for the 1M - it had better be killer good.  The 2G is $199 - around my $200-$250 limit for these kinds of cables. The reviews around say the Curious is better then the Lightspeed 10G - so we will see.

Once my comparisons are done the Supra will go up for sale - the Forza as well.

Cheers!

http://www.curiouscables.com/buy.html
http://audiosensibility.com/blog/products-2/digital-cables-occ-copper-and-occ-silver/#!/Statement-SE-Silver-S-PDIF-RCA-BNC-Digital-Cable/p/46391588/category=4059160
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=46
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/wire/cable/supra-high-speed-usb-2.0-a-b/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back