Gustard H20 headphone amp
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #287 of 646
How many people need to request something in order for it to drop? What am I supposed to make of 48 people currently requesting the amp?

Again, how exactly does this amp make the 800S sound? With the Jotunheim the sound is a little dry and I feel discomfort and ringing in my ears. With an Auralic Taurus MKII the sound is rather dry and lifeless. I don't think my ears will be ringing as much (my ear drums don't vibrate when I take the headphones off, I don't know whether to lol or go bungee jumping without the cord at this point) but clearly this ain't the combo. I'll opamp "roll" if I have to to keep for instance treble in check, but first I need to be able to get this amp. The Chinese website is an option but there's an extra $130 to pay in comparison to the assumed $800 Massdrop price.

Anyone compared this to iFi's Pro Can or whatever it's called?

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #289 of 646
It's Twenty pages long, with a lot of literate, cogent commentary. I LOVE mine. I heard an H10 and liked that so I took a chance and it's been everything I was looking for and more. Folks that are looking for a reason not to buy one will eventually find one.
But there's nothing wrong with mine, and I'm completely happy with my purchase. BTW, I'd say $600.00 is a little low for a new H20. Remember, that stuff's being tariffed now,

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #291 of 646
Folks that are looking for a reason not to buy one will eventually find one.

This has nothing to do with anything. Someone had also mentioned how dead the thread of the previous amp is, which gives cause for concern. If these amps are so great why are their threads so inactive? Any of you actually compared this amp to other good amps you can get used in this price range, Taurus MKII in particular? Or is this another one of these this is so great because I haven't heard the direct competition things.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #292 of 646
Correct. And depending on your priorities, that can be a GOOD thing. Or not. But ACCURACY is what you should expect. What you push with the amp is your choice to make. I have TOO MANY cans and this is how that happened. But I'm at a place where I can be happy without really feeling "pinched" for something else. Most things become attainable, if not immediately, then with time. I like the LCD-X but it's not my ideal set of phones. Everybody hears differently. We're the least linear (and contrastingly, most intuitively sensitive) test instrument in the chain. There is no perfect amp or set of headphones. They and we are all works in progress.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #293 of 646
It has everything to do with everything that specifically applies to your post. I stand by my original assertions. If you're trying to foment controversy, then have at it. I've given my first-person testimony with respect to my NEW (not used and NOT modified) H20.
If you have any doubt, then I think you have your own answer and want somebody to throw shade at it to reinforce your own trepidation.
If I were in your position with that particular insecurity, I'd pass.

But I'll never sell MINE. Good luck!

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #294 of 646
i too love my h20. i've had mine now for about 6 months and i mainly listen to my senn 800's but also enjoy my other cans with this amp. prior to this i used and oppo ha1 and a gustard h10. the h20 is miles above the oppo ( for the most part the h10 is more musical than the oppo) it can drive all my headphones with ease with gobs of power. unless you step up to the thousands of $ price range for an amp i dont think u will do much better bang for buck. i,ve been able to listen to some very nice high end hp amps and they sound awesome but the price difference for that small improvement in sound quality i'll stick with my gustard and be happy. side note i just got a LKS 004 DAC WOW what an eye opening experience that thing has brought me!!!!!!

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #295 of 646
If anyone has had the opportunity to compare the H20's sq performance to that of the Violectric V281 , and is willing to share their impressions, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.​

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #296 of 646
i wish i could help you with the violectric comparison but unfortunatly i've never owned one. the h10 was supposedly a violectric clone. my h10 has been relegated to my bedroom setup since i got the h20 . i would still prefer to listen to either of the gustards instead of my oppo ha1 for whatever that is worth. i can say that both units have been troublefree and have worked flawlessly.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #297 of 646
I had my H20 for 8 months now!
I have been using tube head-amps for the last 12 years and never thought of using a SS head amp, for (I thought) I like the tube sound.
My friends tried hard to convince me and I thought I gave it a try, and now I can say it is the best purchase I've even made with my audio stuff! It sounds wonderful with my HD650 and the K712.

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #298 of 646
hi
Anyone has done comparison of this with Cayin iHA-6? I am about to pull trigger on Cayin but swayed with what I read in this forum. Granted H20 is almost 2x Cayin but I think that's okay.

I did listen to Cayin and was impressed with its transparency and powerful punch and clarity, using HD800s.

what will be recommended DAC to go with this?

My use-case is will use SONY WM1A Balance -> XLR with ATH-AD2000, Sony MDR-Z7, and going to purchase HD800s or HEXv2.

I cannot find place for audition for Gustard here (yet).

Thanks.

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #299 of 646
I haven't seen (or more importantly heard) a Cayin who's Class A output characteristics are as robust as the H-20's.
I bought the H-20 as a standard bearer for those two design parameters (High power/ Class A/SS) and as I'm not a "tube" guy (I like SS that can emulate clean tube "tonal balance" but I'm just not hypnotized by either Thermionics as operating principle or its attendant pricing-I think most of that has sourced from Guitar Amp culture, whose priorities are very different than High Fidelity's) it was pretty much dead on target for me.

It's a BIG (physically and output-wise) amp.

I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

Good luck!

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #300 of 646
Hi @Zennheiser thanks for responding. Date I ask if you have listened to both?

I was pretty pleased with what I heard from iha-6! Reckon from your response, I would be thrilled with Gustard H20? In think with almost double the price, H20 better do

When you say "as robust" could you please elaborate more if possible?

Do you think I can connect Sony WM1A balanced to XLR-3-pin input? So I don't need to buy DAC?

@soumya.banerjee you said Cayin iHA-6 left you wanting. Is this this in comparison with Gustard H20? Was this direct A/B with same source, DAC and headphone? Was that using SE or balanced? Thanks

Thanks

I haven't seen (or more importantly heard) a Cayin who's Class A output characteristics are as robust as the H-20's.
I bought the H-20 as a standard bearer for those two design parameters (High power/ Class A/SS) and as I'm not a "tube" guy (I like SS that can emulate clean tube "tonal balance" but I'm just not hypnotized by either Thermionics as operating principle or its attendant pricing-I think most of that has sourced from Guitar Amp culture, whose priorities are very different than High Fidelity's) it was pretty much dead on target for me.

It's a BIG (physically and output-wise) amp.

I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back