Gustard H20 headphone amp
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #256 of 646
I'll skip on the Beta. Tight on money and my quick google search made that seem a little questionable. Thanks for the thought though.

I've signed up for the drop but see no indicator of how close the drop is. Thought it would show how many more people need to request it. A weird way to drop, by the way. Can't you get a bunch of people who won't buy requesting just so it drops?

Here's the drop link for funsies: http://dro.ps/b/sef84OM5MtVO/l

Just curious, what seemed questionable?

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #257 of 646
https://www.headfonia.com/the-beta22-amplifier/

The Beta22 has a good body in the sound, and bass presence is never lacking. What may be lacking, depending on the listener, is bass punch. A good friend of mine who’s actually not a basshead makes a remark about the bass punch when he first listened to the Beta22. He only said that “the bass was lacking”. I didn’t really get it at first, because bass presence is plenty and the Beta22 is very far from sounding thin, but eventually I realized that he meant bass punch.

Despite my critique above, the Beta22 and the HD800 in balanced mode, from a good source like the CEC TL51XZ, remains the most speaker-like set up I’ve ever heard. I can hear a very wide and enveloping soundstage that goes to the sides of your ears. Yes, some of the other amplifiers may have a clearer imaging, but they don’t fill up the soundstage as the Beta22 does. Depth layering on the Beta22 and HD800 combination is also the best I’ve ever heard. No other amplifier comes close in that department. The soundstage has multi-layers of depth, and this gives a very life-like effect. I think I’m limited by the quality of my source, and a true high end DAC or a high end vinyl set up would improve the sound considerably because the Beta22 scales up to the source very well.

So, in reality, the Beta22 is not a perfect amplifier (I really wish it was). It doesn’t have a treble that sparkles (which often gives a nice wow effect), its imaging can also be sharper and better defined, and I also wish that it’s a little less neutral (some emphasis on the upper midrange, for instance, would be preferable to me). Personally, I like my music to have more PRaT and impact, and the Beta22+HD800 doesn’t give it to me. Despite all of these critiques, however, the Beta22 remains the best sounding solid state headphone amplifier I’ve heard and it belongs to the top of the top of headphone amplifiers.

This is from eight years ago. There's also a mention of it being custom assembled or something and having variance in its characteristics.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #258 of 646
https://www.headfonia.com/the-beta22-amplifier/

This is from eight years ago. There's also a mention of it being custom assembled or something and having variance in its characteristics.

It's a DIY only amp so there will be some variance, but that very review concludes with: "The Beta22 has the most life-like sound I’ve ever heard. The ambiance of the recordings is very convincing through the Beta22. Each instruments maintain a very real presence though a natural attack and decay pattern. Percussions, strings, pianos, wind instruments, all sound very life-like, with good snap, body and weight on each instruments in the music. The Beta22 remains the most life-like amplifier I’ve ever auditioned."

The only questionable performance characteristic raised in the review is that it doesn't seem to have the best imaging. Variance in Beta22's is mostly related to how many channels it has (2, 3, 4) when talking about any well-built Beta22. Any well built 4 channel (balanced) Beta22 is going to have a warmer, more relaxed sound. A characteristic shared by the Gustard H10 according to most, not sure about the H20 though which is totally different.

Is the Gustard H20 fully discrete unlike the H10?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #259 of 646
Bass, imaging, treble. It's also an old review. For all I know the positive parts of the review may be correct, especially at the price. Strangely it has enormous, overkill power for headphones as well. I don't want to be taking chances right now, I need something really solid and this is pushing slightly out of my price range as well. I could well be missing out and someone else should jump on this, I don't know. That's one old amplifier though.

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #260 of 646
Bass, imaging, treble. It's also an old review. For all I know the positive parts of the review may be correct, especially at the price. Strangely it has enormous, overkill power for headphones as well. I don't want to be taking chances right now, I need something really solid and this is pushing slightly out of my price range as well. I could well be missing out and someone else should jump on this, I don't know. That's one old amplifier though.

Solid state amp design hasn't really improved since then. Some minor improvements from the same people who designed some of the best amps back then, like Kevin Gilmore and Nelson Pass, but many of the best measuring amp circuits date to back then. The Dynalo and Dynahi are even older, and remain the reference solid state headphone amps for all others to compare to, and I would say a masterclass balanced Dynalo (e.g. Pure BiPolar or GS-X Mk2) remains the best solid state amp for most headphones, with a balanced Dynahi being the best for the likes of the HE-6 and Susvara.

Nothing is strange about the Beta22's power. It's a speaker and headphone amp. Four amp boards, and two power supplies. The day an amp from a company like Gustard outperforms a well built balanced Beta22 is the day pigs will sprout wings and fly across the globe in mass.

I'll gladly eat crow on this if I'm wrong though, but isn't this only their 2nd amp, with the first being a Violectric V200 clone (the H10)? The H20 looks interesting, but with the H10 being so questionable (opamps in signal path, lifespan issues according to users), the H20 being fairly new and unknown made by an unknown designer unlike AMB Labs... the H20 is the much more questionable and risky amp, also being made entirely in China. The Beta22 is one of the most "tried and true" high end headphone amps you can get.

- EDIT: H20 isn't fully discrete either I see.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #266 of 646
I'll skip on the Beta. Tight on money and my quick google search made that seem a little questionable. Thanks for the thought though.

I've signed up for the drop but see no indicator of how close the drop is. Thought it would show how many more people need to request it. A weird way to drop, by the way. Can't you get a bunch of people who won't buy requesting just so it drops?

Here's the drop link for funsies: http://dro.ps/b/sef84OM5MtVO/l
I don't know if there is actually a critical number of requestors needed. The do gauge interest by the requests and look to make buys. The amount of time it takes to set up the deal varies. I think there have been three drops in the last 6 or so months. But that is no guarantee. I requested it twice after the first one before I actually bought one. I hated to spend the money, as I have sworn to reduce the money spent on headphone related gear. But I like the amp very much.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #268 of 646
Solid state amp design hasn't really improved since then. Some minor improvements from the same people who designed some of the best amps back then, like Kevin Gilmore and Nelson Pass, but many of the best measuring amp circuits date to back then. The Dynalo and Dynahi are even older, and remain the reference solid state headphone amps for all others to compare to, and I would say a masterclass balanced Dynalo (e.g. Pure BiPolar or GS-X Mk2) remains the best solid state amp for most headphones, with a balanced Dynahi being the best for the likes of the HE-6 and Susvara.

Nothing is strange about the Beta22's power. It's a speaker and headphone amp. Four amp boards, and two power supplies. The day an amp from a company like Gustard outperforms a well built balanced Beta22 is the day pigs will sprout wings and fly across the globe in mass.

I'll gladly eat crow on this if I'm wrong though, but isn't this only their 2nd amp, with the first being a Violectric V200 clone (the H10)? The H20 looks interesting, but with the H10 being so questionable (opamps in signal path, lifespan issues according to users), the H20 being fairly new and unknown made by an unknown designer unlike AMB Labs... the H20 is the much more questionable and risky amp, also being made entirely in China. The Beta22 is one of the most "tried and true" high end headphone amps you can get.

- EDIT: H20 isn't fully discrete either I see.

But we know nothing about the one for sale. How old, does it have the dual power supplies, part selection, who built it. Too risky for me. Besides, I already have the H20 and am quite happy with it. However, if this offering is so great, why don't you buy it?
Just curious.

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #269 of 646
But we know nothing about the one for sale. How old, does it have the dual power supplies, part selection, who built it. Too risky for me. Besides, I already have the H20 and am quite happy with it. However, if this offering is so great, why don't you buy it?
Just curious.

True, those are valid questions that should be taken to the owner. I don't jump on it because I don't need it. I have an end game solid state amp already, one that's better for me since I don't currently have a balanced source.

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #270 of 646
What are you using now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back