GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 21, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #931 of 5,553
Mar 21, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #932 of 5,553
Alright. Thanks for answering my question 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #933 of 5,553
The impedance of the balanced versus the unbalanced output might, repeat might, make a slight difference in sound or noise level.
The balun cable should work fine, but only your ears will tell.  I've never been able to measure or hear a difference as long as both cables were good quality.
I'd try a good unbalanced RCA to RCA cable and if you're happy with the sound and noise floor leave it that way, but others here might know something I don't.
I've only been doing high end audio for 42 years and I'm still learning.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #934 of 5,553
I already have a nice RCA cable, but thought about ordering a decent XLR-RCA cable just to have room for possible comparisons.
Might reconsider that. Thanks :]

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #935 of 5,553
So what is the final verdict on the Gustard H10 paired with the HifiMan HE-6?
Is it an acceptable combination, or not too good?
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #936 of 5,553

Here are my $0.02. 

It's certainly doable, with enough headroom to spare at the +12 pre-gain setting. 

However, I say this with some reservations. It has similar problems to driving the HD800. I found it a little on the thinner side, and sometimes brought out the worst in the upper-mid, treble region. 

If you were looking for a relatively cheap option to drive your HE-6s, I think these are serviceable. IMO they performed a bit better when driving the HE500 or HE560s. I've recently tried them with the HD650s and K7XX (Massdrop version), and the Gustard H10 performed admirably.

Hope this helps, 
--Jeff

Also, I'm glad to see the Massdrop listing. Should hopefully introduce this amp to people at a reasonable price. Massdrop usually screens their listings, so their staff must have liked it. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #937 of 5,553
Which would you all most recommend using most, the Gustard H10 amp, or using the speaker outputs on my Harman Kardon HK 3490 120w/ch receiver using an HE adapter box to drive the HE-6?
Thanks.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #939 of 5,553

Been listening to my Gustard U12, X10, H10 stack with my HD650's for the last day or two, as apposed to my normal HE400i's, and I must say it is quite a nice combo. I haven't listened to my HD650's for a while now as I found the sound a little "distant, or "veiled" but recently my tinnitus   
has been slightly aggravated so I decided to listen to a more "laid back" set of earphones with my Gustard stack and I must say I find the HD650's much more enjoyable than I have ever before. Admittedly, I have not listened to the 650's with the Gustard stack for too long in the past but now that I have logged a lot more hours on the stack, I find the 650's waaay more enjoyable than before, and, it has not aggravated my tinnitus either, bonus.
So, those of you out there that prefer a more laid back, yet still detailed sound, try this combo, you will not be disappointed.
Greeting to my fellow shipmates on the SS Gustard and in particular, our captain, The High and Holy Master Guinea Pig, Stu.  

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #940 of 5,553

Been listening to my Gustard U12, X10, H10 stack with my HD650's for the last day or two, as apposed to my normal HE400i's, and I must say it is quite a nice combo. I haven't listened to my HD650's for a while now as I found the sound a little "distant, or "veiled" but recently my tinnitus   
has been slightly aggravated so I decided to listen to a more "laid back" set of earphones with my Gustard stack and I must say I find the HD650's much more enjoyable than I have ever before. Admittedly, I have not listened to the 650's with the Gustard stack for too long in the past but now that I have logged a lot more hours on the stack, I find the 650's waaay more enjoyable than before, and, it has not aggravated my tinnitus either, bonus.
So, those of you out there that prefer a more laid back, yet still detailed sound, try this combo, you will not be disappointed.
Greeting to my fellow shipmates on the SS Gustard and in particular, our captain, The High and Holy Master Guinea Pig, Stu.  

One of the things I didn't mention in my Gustard interview bit in the general Gustard thread was HD650. Their gear is actually designed to match with HD650 as well as possible since that's the most popular high end headphone in China. Figuratively every hobbyist owns a pair.

I asked Gustard that question as well. It's not meant to drive HE-6. It can, and won't sound terrible but it's not optimal.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #941 of 5,553

One of the things I didn't mention in my Gustard interview bit in the general Gustard thread was HD650. Their gear is actually designed to match with HD650 as well as possible since that's the most popular high end headphone in China. Figuratively every hobbyist owns a pair.

I asked Gustard that question as well. It's not meant to drive HE-6. It can, and won't sound terrible but it's not optimal.

Any comment on if H10 is practical for use with iem's? I'm wondering if the impedance and the noise floor are low enough? I have a Matrix M Stage amp that works fine with iem's but the H10 is obviously better quality so I am interested.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #942 of 5,553
  Any comment on if H10 is practical for use with iem's? I'm wondering if the impedance and the noise floor are low enough? I have a Matrix M Stage amp that works fine with iem's but the H10 is obviously better quality so I am interested.

I've used my UERMs with the H10, though I need to use the -6 setting. The UERM also comes with an impedance adapter, which helps. 

You are generally limited on volume knob to < 9 o'clock without the impedance adapter. 

Hope this helps, 

--Jeff

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #943 of 5,553
  I've used my UERMs with the H10, though I need to use the -6 setting. The UERM also comes with an impedance adapter, which helps. 

You are generally limited on volume knob to < 9 o'clock without the impedance adapter. 

Hope this helps, 

--Jeff

Thanks for the comment. I've had mixed results using impedance adapters on some amp/iem's it changes the frequency response. I use iem's to listen at home so I'm looking for a full size amp that can handle that. Basically,  the amp needs to have an output impedance of 1 ohm or less.

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #944 of 5,553
  Thanks for the comment. I've had mixed results using impedance adapters on some amp/iem's it changes the frequency response. I use iem's to listen at home so I'm looking for a full size amp that can handle that. Basically,  the amp needs to have an output impedance of 1 ohm or less.

I've generally been using my UERMs out of my phone for the most part. Much more convenient that way. :) Impedance adapter is a mixed bag, but the UE one is pretty decent. Similar quality to the Etymotic ER4P->S converter I'd say. 

I'll be looking into the new Leckerton and Cavalli amps for the UERMs though. I'd stay away from the Gustard H10 for the most part. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back