GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Feb 27, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #4,546 of 5,552
Your post may mislead readers into thinking Burson has had low QC standards. I have used their op-amps since V1. They are very strick in component QC and matching. It just so happens that the H10 can sometimes exceed the voltage of the V5's operating specs. Burson is willing to change their components for those of a higher voltage just to keep the users of one model amplifier happy goes to show what kind of company they are.

They do not have poor QC. They are changing a product just to work in one amplifier which is out of spec.

I never said they have poor QC, I was specifically mentioning about their new standard on V5s QC in regard to voltage which is a necessary move and a step towards excellence. Being better doesn't mean that it was bad before and it really depends on how you interpret it, but IMO that is overthinking it.

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #4,548 of 5,552
OK, we're all on the same page regarding Burson's plan to increase the V5 voltage specs from 15V to 17V -  a product enhancement.

Just got an E-mail from burson:

"The H10 operates in 16V to 16.5V whereas our opamp has a stated upper tolerance limit of 15V.
In the new batch we'll implement a stricter selection process so that only those which can tolerate up to 17V will be selected."

"The ones which are not damaged indicated that they already can handle 17V without issues.  (all components have a tolerance range)  Therefore, please continue to use them with confidence.  Furthermore, if they fail in the future, they will always be replaced under the life-time replacement warranty."

H10 owners have been supplying excessive voltage to the V5 all along - previously unaware that the H10 supplies 16 to 16.5V instead of the 15V maximum specified by Burson in the V5 data sheet.

But...  As much as I hate to say this, because I am so very pleased with both their product and their customer service, Burson still has quality control issues that have nothing to do with supply voltages.

In short, summarizing my earlier posts, I purchased a pair of V5 Duals that functioned perfectly, but which had pins that were not square to the case - one was severely twisted (about a 7-degree rotation) and the other only moderately (about a 1-degree rotation).  

Given my intent to have them protruding through holes cut in the top of my portable amp, Burson agreed to send me another pair of V5 Duals, free of charge - I didn't even have to return the original twisted pair. Customer service doesn't get any better than that!

Not only was the new pair un-twisted, they both functioned perfectly - for a few hours...  

One of the new Duals quickly developed a a low-volume squealing sound in the treble region, like tuning a VFO. I opted to just replace it with the least twisted V5 Dual of the original pair. That will have to do. I didn't even bother to notify Burson, but their rep later "stepped in it" by asking me how things were going.  I explained what was going on, telling him that I've only paid for one good pair of V5s and that, basically, I've got one good pair of V5s, so there's no need for replacement at this time.  Really, Burson owes me nothing.  I'm content.

The fact remains... with my having experienced a 50% failure rate - two good V5s out of four that were shipped - I feel compelled to say that Burson has a quality control problem - but I am absolutely convinced that they will take care of their customers. The Lifetime Warranty is readily honored.

I liken the experience as only mildly analogous to that suffered/enjoyed by Audeze LCD-3 owners, 58% of whom have had one or more driver failures, but the warranty and the sound quality make it all worthwhile. 

On that note, I continue to be absolutely thrilled with the performance of the V5 Duals in my battery-powered iBasso PB2 portable amp, which, when used with dummy buffers to drive my HD800, is every bit as transparent and resolving as my $1200 Metrum Aurix - an amp that is basically the headphone amp equivalent of the Nelson Pass First Watt M2 and F6 amps, which use transformers for inductive gain (a minimalist design where no tubes, transistors or op-amps are used for gain - with a very competent power supply).  

I've tested many combinations of source and DAC (most of which are, admittedly, affordable "low-fi" products) with my V5-equipped iBasso PB2 portable amp, comparing it to the Metrum Aurix and to another spectacularly transparent and resolving portable amp - the Meier Audio Corda Stepdance - which was my benchmark for transparency and neutrality before getting the Aurix.  The Burson V5-equipped iBasso PB2 prevails in every comparison - and keep in mind that the PB2 portable amp is little more than a life-support system for op-amps. Other than an analog volume control, there's almost nothing else in the signal path.  With the PB2, you are listening to the op-amps and little else, driven by the intrinsically clean, low-noise power of a battery pack.

Vs. the Metrum Aurix, the V5-equipped PB2 offers improved bass extension and dynamics - the sound is not as laid back as with the Aurix, while offering the same dead silent noise floor, sound stage, resolution and overall transparency as the Aurix.  In a word:  Incredible.  It also has more raw power - even when using dummy buffers in the output gain stage of the PB2 - where buffer op-amps would increase the current available to the headphones.  The Aurix has a toggle switch for 0 dB gain (acting as a pre-amp to drive the headphones only with the power of the DAC) or 10 dB gain (using its transformers for inductive gain), but even with the 10 dB setting, I have to turn the Aurix volume control much further clockwise to match the SPL delivered to the headphones by a pair of Burson V5 Duals.  This is actually just a moot point, as there is plenty of headroom left with the Aurix driving the HD800, even with the 0dB gain setting, but it's worth noting that the V5s are potent.

Vs. the Meier Audio Corda Stepdance, the V5-equipped PB2 again readily matches the transparency and resolution of the OPA1611-equipped competitor, but here, the finicky HD800, which is known for taking offense to amps that use a lot of negative feedback (i.e. Oppo HA-1 and many others), renders a brittle edginess in the HD800 treble that is completely absent with the Burson V5 Duals.  The HD800 can be very fatiguing with amps that sound utterly fantastic with orthos, but where some people solve this problem by rushing to inexpensive, low-resolving tube amps that smear the details, the solid state, yet zero-feedback design of the Metrum Aurix -and- the Burson V5 Dual-equipped PB2 allow the HD800's greatest features (transparency, neutrality, and resolution) to survive, unencumbered. 

Just in case anyone thinks there's something magical about the PB2 portable amp itself, aside from having really clean power, and a push-pull design - where two op-amps operate 180-degrees out of phase with each other on each channel - I can drop any other op-amp I own into the input voltage gain stage and just say "good bye" to one or more of the precious traits brought to the table by the V5 Duals.  The LME49990 scores well on every count except for dynamics, air and soundstage.  It was my favorite op-amp until I heard the V5 Dual, but now it's a distant 2nd place.  I paid $150 for a pair of JRC Muses 02, from Mouser.com - to avoid the possibility of getting counterfeits on ebay.  The Muses 02 is not only more expensive than a Burson V5 Dual, it's a joke in terms of neutrality and transparency.  It's heavily colored and sometimes makes vocalists sound as if they are singing through cupped hands.  Uggh!  The OPA1612 duals were my first pick before I discovered the LME49990, but when I drop them into the iBasso PB2, I get a Meier Stepdance on steroids - more of the brittle edginess with the HD800, but a more powerful and perfectly satisfactory version of the Stepdance for my Audeze LCD-2 and Oppo PM-1 (but with a noisy volume control and a much lower build quality than the Stepdance.)

Sadly, I know through PM correspondence I've had with a couple of Head-Fi members, and through posts made in the Opamp thread, that some folks have systems which simply do not allow the Burson V5s to shine.  They order the V5s, plug them in and conclude, "What a waste of money."  Keeping in mind that I am all about low-fi or, at best, mid-fi solutions - as evidenced by all the stuff seen in my profile - I find myself telling these people to hang onto the Burson V5s while ferreting out the weak link in their audio chain. For some, it's the headphone. If you're using a V-Moda M-100, forget about it. For others, it's the DAC or a noisy power supply in their amp or whatever.  Just because the Burson V5 is an upgrade priced within reach of a lot of people, doesn't mean a lot of people are going to bounce off the walls the way I do when I listen to the V5 in my dinky, but uber-clean, all battery-powered system.

iPod Touch 6 > Oppo HA-2 (ES9018K2M DAC) Line Out > iBasso PB2 with Burson V5 Duals in input voltage gain stage > balanced out to HD800 via Toxic Cables Silver Poison

This picture taken before I added caps to the V5 Duals and replaced the LME49990 with dummy buffers - opting for less power but greater transparency - allowing the V5s to sing!

Mike

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #4,549 of 5,552

the funkedelic !

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #4,551 of 5,552
^ That's one of my favorites, despite the explicit intro and poor recording. This track makes a better demo:

http://youtu.be/DwybvhISmls

biggrin.gif

wow, nice, 
hadn't heard of them before, thanks !

(maggot brain still rocks!) lol

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #4,554 of 5,552
How does the Polaris compare to the Gustard H10, as it's currently on MD for $290 around the same price range as the Polaris. I plan to pair it with m9XX and the HD800 and T1. How will that combination work out for those who have such a setup?

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #4,555 of 5,552
My budget was kind of tight for the H10, even on massdrop + op amp upgrade (lots of bills lately). So I ordered a Little Dot 1+ with upgraded Valvo 6CQ6 tubes (I'll later replace with mil-spec Mullard CV4014) and ordered a Sparko Labs dual op amp.

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #4,556 of 5,552
So I can't get one of my XLR cables to release from my H10. I'm pretty sure the release tab isn't functioning properly .Any suggestions on getting it unstuck?

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #4,557 of 5,552
I've been noticing less awe in my sound the last few days. Enough for an exploration. The lyr< pulse is suddenly more engaging. Than the h10 w v5s full boat < nm24 with 75 reflektors.

a

dual v5 tried to come through the top of the h10

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #4,559 of 5,552
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update for all of the H-10 customers. The new batch of V5 is almost ready for send out. We are only a couple of days away before shipping. 

Thank you all for been patiant with us and supporting Burson. 

Dennis

Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back