GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Feb 27, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #4,531 of 5,552
  Based on the Massdrop discussion history, it looks like the H10 gets a drop somewhat regularly. Does this seem accurate to other folks who have been following the H10 longer than me (only a few days...)?

I did end up ordering a Bifrost Multibit, and I might see how I enjoy it with my 2.0 setup before I commit to getting another headphone amp.

Yes, as you already mentioned, the H10 gets a drop regularly. I think there is also a Subreddit on Reddit, where it shows when the H10 was dropped.

So one of my V5 singles developed a crackling noise at idle, did a few tests to make sure it was the op amps. Could not hear with headphones, but it was noticeable with IEMs. If anyone isn't aware of what it sounds like, it sounds like when you move your finger around in your ear.

Hey, I don't know if you already know that, but the current V5 Burson Opamps are NOT comatible with the H10. I got to know that issue, when I wrote Dennis at Burson Audio an Email to see if they provide discount when buying the full V5 Kit. Their Opamp is designed for +/-15V, whereas the H10 has a power supply of +/- 16.5V. Here is the official Post on Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/4125#post_12249933

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #4,532 of 5,552
Yes, as you already mentioned, the H10 gets a drop regularly. I think there is also a Subreddit on Reddit, where it shows when the H10 was dropped.

Hey, I don't know if you already know that, but the current V5 Burson Opamps are NOT comatible with the H10. I got to know that issue, when I wrote Dennis at Burson Audio an Email to see if they provide discount when buying the full V5 Kit. Their Opamp is designed for +/-15V, whereas the H10 has a power supply of +/- 16.5V. Here is the official Post on Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/4125#post_12249933

They are also now shipping op-amps to meet higher voltage standards.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #4,533 of 5,552
Feb 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #4,534 of 5,552
  So one of my V5 singles developed a crackling noise at idle, did a few tests to make sure it was the op amps. Could not hear with headphones, but it was noticeable with IEMs. If anyone isn't aware of what it sounds like, it sounds like when you move your finger around in your ear.

Are you sure the cracking noise is coming from the amp and it's not the drivers of the IEMs flexing when you push it with your ear?

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #4,535 of 5,552
  Hey, I don't know if you already know that, but the current V5 Burson Opamps are NOT comatible with the H10. I got to know that issue, when I wrote Dennis at Burson Audio an Email to see if they provide discount when buying the full V5 Kit. Their Opamp is designed for +/-15V, whereas the H10 has a power supply of +/- 16.5V.

Just adding more info here but Burson sent this email to me regarding their v4's

"In high voltage, the V4 not only works properly but sound better.  It's through hole components has higher tolerance than SMD components.

Best regards,

Alex"
This was in answer to a question about the sound difference between the v5's and v4's, which I'm using the v4 duals in the M-stage which sends 18v's to the op-amps also the v4's cost 99$ plus shipping totals out to about 115$ for a pair of Duals while the v5's are 145$ shipped. And yes I know Burson is increasing voltage to 17.5v's for the v5's I'm still waiting for my replacement v5 dual from them also.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #4,540 of 5,552
Are you sure the cracking noise is coming from the amp and it's not the drivers of the IEMs flexing when you push it with your ear?

Switched op amps to stock many times before coming to conclusion. Even switched the v5s around and crackling noise went from left to right, right to left. It's funny because I can't hear it with my 560, but it is pretty loud with my iem at lowest gain.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #4,541 of 5,552

They have a higher QC standard now, we'll have to see how that holds up.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #4,542 of 5,552
I'm mostly interested in the change in sound regardless of amp, just want to know if it's worth the investment to buy every thing I'll need for it.

Pelopidas has written some detailed comparisons of the V5 with and without a cap, for various tracks:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread/5055#post_12185207

I'm not nearly as skilled at describing what I can hear, taking the caps in and out, but I'm confident that efficient headphones aren't as impressed by the caps if the amp itself is sufficiently potent for good bass control and dynamics. With the HD800 on my portable amp, the caps do give more speed and control, as the amp only has one 22,000uF cap on the Li-Ion battery pack.

Pelopidas says the choice of caps can be heard - he ended up with the Elna SILMIC II 35V 10uF, after a lot of testing (and soldering), so I just followed his lead and feel no compulsion to try any other caps. :D

Note that my caps are soldered for Duals, not for Singles.

(top view, for Dual)

(bottom view, for Dual)

(top view, for Dual)

(top view, for Single)

(Pelopidas' photo. Note that he has his caps sticking out on the front side of the V5, where my photos show my having put the caps out the same side as the notch. I had to do this because a battery pack was in the way on the front side of the V5's.)

Mike

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #4,545 of 5,552
They have a higher QC standard now, we'll have to see how that holds up.

Your post may mislead readers into thinking Burson has had low QC standards. I have used their op-amps since V1. They are very strick in component QC and matching. It just so happens that the H10 can sometimes exceed the voltage of the V5's operating specs. Burson is willing to change their components for those of a higher voltage just to keep the users of one model amplifier happy goes to show what kind of company they are.

They do not have poor QC. They are changing a product just to work in one amplifier which is out of spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back