GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 26, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #7,951 of 8,828
Puritan PSM156

I was too a bit skeptical at first (due to cost, was fortunate somebody posted it on the classifieds), but the overall impact on my system was woth it. As attested by others.
Many great reviews around the net. Have multiple connections in mine. No problems whatsoever.

2moKJAQ.jpg

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #7,952 of 8,828
Yeah, I've been having strange buzzing I can't quite pinpoint, HDMI on my TV sometimes pops/flickers, subwoofer hums, etc. I've been going through changing wires, outlets, grounding things (Both my $3000 LG G3 OLED and $2000 Anthem AVR don't have a grounded plug!?) and I'm still having issues so I'm about to just say screw it and buy the one and done ultimate solution.

I have no confidence that I'm hearing how my gear is actually supposed to sound with clean power, the PS156 would provide that peace of mind.

Also regarding multiple connections, Mickey, what I'm talking about is using a splitter to connect more than one device per outlet. It looks in the picture that you have just one device per outlet (as is ideal). I'm thinking it should be fine using a short 1 to 3 splitter on some of the outlets, something like the attached image

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-26 150405.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-26 150405.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #7,953 of 8,828
If your keen enough the first left socket of my PSM156 has something attached at the back.

2moKJAQ.jpeg

Its a SUPRA MD06-EU/SP SPC Power strip that I plug all my small AC/DC adapters.

1701030294779.png

Before buying the PSM156, I was using this for my system. Now relegated to "extention/splitter" duties.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #7,954 of 8,828
Yeah, unfortunately I need to plug A LOT of things into it.
Even the 6 plug models aren't really enough for me to get all my gear on it.
1 plug for the R26, 1 for the OCK-1, 1 for the Freya+, 1 for the Bliss, 3 for the monoblocks, 1 for my STAX adapter, and 1 for my R800i amp when I want to use that instead of the monoblocks.

And that's not even plugging in my LPS, PC, TV or AV receiver into it...

This is getting a bit off-topic, sorry, but would I be ok connecting those 1 to 3 plug adapters to a Puritan PSM156 or does it absolutely need to be 1 outlet, 1 device?
A question for 'Ask Paul' ? ( PS-Paul).. 🤣🤣

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #7,955 of 8,828
Ah, I completely missed that! Glad to hear you've had no ill effects with the extension.

EDIT: Just bought a used PSM156 for $1700. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #7,956 of 8,828
You guys who opened up the R26, to improve upon shielding etc, may I ask what you consider was the most "beneficial" upgrade you did?

I'm building new monoblocks now, and thought about opening the R26 also, if it's worth it..?
I'm a bit reluctant against removing the Bluetooth antenna, but if you ensure that it has a major effect, I might change my mind..? 😅
If go back many,many posts ago,there are lots of simple tweeks, my R26 has been apart for on and off mods over the last few mods.
Easy mods... lf your using the 10mhz bnc clock ,replace the board to panel pigtail with TFLEX 405 pigtail,as it's they use a cheap coax.
Shield cables with copper tape.
Purchase a 15mm tungsten cube, glue it on the K2 clock syth, add bitumen around cube,then copper tape. Add damping to FGA chip and OXCO clock.
Lastly place Rochelle salt close to power board connectors and transistors, about two inch distance.
These mode can be done, without touching a soldering iron, and in my view will improve upon stock unit.
Pushing further, requires you to be brave, and enter the DIY world, drilling and soldering.
sbgk was the catalyst for this idea, so full credit should go to him. The two transformers actually effect the sound quality of the R26, simply due to their close proximity just moving them away and apart, lowers the noise floor, deeper bass, and sounding more natural and dynamic. Interestingly the transformers seem to react to metal enclosures, changing the signature of the sound. ln the end l decided on a bolt on Aluminium enclosure, l found keeping the transformers as far apart as possible helps everything, and that includes the wiring to the board. l ditched the 110v switch, and silver solder and hard wired all wiring, totally ditching the IEC and fuse.
The downside, of moving the transformers, l had the extend the board cables using 1mm copper occ teflon cable,as it was about 7 inches to short. The Sqeeky bum time is ditching the board plug connectors and solder direct to the board, this brings yet another gain. For additional touch,l have also added some Rochelle Salt inside the new transformer enclosure.
Lastly, and it's not a mod, the best investment l made has to be the Leo Bodnar clock, adding this ,a good psu to power the clock and TFLEX 405 cable, will totally transform the R26,even before you start modding.
20231113_145901.jpg
lts been a long journey but R26 now sounds, in my view, fantastic

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #7,958 of 8,828
If go back many,many posts ago,there are lots of simple tweeks, my R26 has been apart for on and off mods over the last few mods.
Easy mods... lf your using the 10mhz bnc clock ,replace the board to panel pigtail with TFLEX 405 pigtail,as it's they use a cheap coax.
Purchase a 15mm tungsten cube, glue it on the K2 clock syth, add bitumen around cube,then copper tape. Add damping to FGA chip and OXCO clock.
Lastly place Rochelle salt close to power board connectors and transistors, about two inch distance.
These mode can be done, without touching a soldering iron, and in my view will improve upon stock unit.
Pushing further, requires you to be brave, and enter the DIY world, drilling and soldering.
sbgk was the catalyst for this idea, so full credit should go to him. The two transformers actually effect the sound quality of the R26, simply due to their close proximity just moving them away and apart, lowers the noise floor, deeper bass, and sounding more natural and dynamic. Interestingly the transformers seem to react to metal enclosures, changing the signature of the sound. ln the end l decided on a bolt on Aluminium enclosure, l found keeping the transformers as far apart as possible helps everything, and that includes the wiring to the board. l ditched the 110v switch, and silver solder and hard wired all wiring, totally ditching the IEC and fuse.
The downside, of moving the transformers, l had the extend the board cables using 1mm copper occ teflon cable,as it was about 7 inches to short. The Sqeeky bum time is ditching the board plug connectors and solder direct to the board, this bring yet another gain. For additional touch,l have also added some Rochelle Salt inside the new transformer enclosure.
Lastly, and it's not a mod, the best investment l made has to be the Leo Bodnar clock, adding this ,a good psu to power the clock and TFLEX 405 cable, will totally transform the R26,even before you start modding.
20231113_145901.jpglts been a long journey but R26 now sounds, in my view, fantastic
Interesting to see you are using what look like bamboo chopping boards for isolation - I bought a couple having read the good things Quadraspire say about bamboo in a vibration reducing context. What do you use under them, if anything?

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #7,959 of 8,828
Interesting to see you are using what look like bamboo chopping boards for isolation - I bought a couple having read the good things Quadraspire say about bamboo in a vibration reducing context. What do you use under them, if anything?
I use Moon Pads, basically soft gel pads for drum heads, creates a sandwich, and when moved the component slightly wobbles.
l have even applied the same technique to my speakers, tightens the lower end up

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #7,960 of 8,828
The downside, of moving the transformers, l had the extend the board cables using 1mm copper occ teflon cable,as it was about 7 inches to short. The Sqeeky bum time is ditching the board plug connectors and solder direct to the board, this brings yet another gain. For additional touch,l have also added some Rochelle Salt inside the new transformer enclosure.
20231113_145901.jpglts been a long journey but R26 now sounds, in my view, fantastic
are you using an internal volume control with all upgrades in mind?

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #7,962 of 8,828
As someone who just got some monoblocks, am I better off going direct from the R26 into them and using the DAC's attenuation or R26 > Holo Bliss preout > monoblocks. I currently have it set up with the latter.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #7,963 of 8,828
Try both, and see what you prefer. There's lots of variables, l considered the pre amp direction, but decided against it,simply the additional cost, and it's also another component and wires, so l opted for direct route, l run Nord Monoblocks 1ET400A, which are Hypex based, they recommend running your DAC direct, provided it's fitted with a volume control.
Report back on which method you prefer.

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #7,965 of 8,828

Users who are viewing this thread

Back