GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 20, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #5,587 of 8,828
Speaking of firmwares, does the M2.1 firmware (March 2023) replace the firmware CT_221115 or are those different things?
I installed the gustarender v1.4 and the M2.1 firmware.
The reason I'm asking if because I still hear clicks from the R26 when switching from DSD to PCM and different bitrates. On page 1 of this thread, it was mentioned that the CT_221115 removes the clicking noises.
It's true the naming of these firmwares are not very user friendly.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #5,588 of 8,828
For relay clicks you need to install CT_221115 as per SuperSonico's post w/c link is found on page 1.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #5,589 of 8,828
Not to derail any techy convo's here, but just want to reiterate that we're using an exemplary DAC here. Going from an RME ADI 2 to the Gustard R26 I was skeptical if I'd hear a difference and how much impact a quality R2R DAC could have on my music, but within the first 3 seconds of hearing it in my chain I knew it was something special, and that I was keeping it. If anyone's reading this and on the fence, just bite and try it for yourself. I'm currently in the process of setting up FMC's and have a DDC, powered USB filter, and new cables on the way too, that and after burn-in, hopefully it'll only get better - but it's already so so good. I wouldn't have bit if it wasn't for this thread. Thanks for that all.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #5,590 of 8,828
Not to derail any techy convo's here, but just want to reiterate that we're using an exemplary DAC here. Going from an RME ADI 2 to the Gustard R26 I was skeptical if I'd hear a difference and how much impact a quality R2R DAC could have on my music, but within the first 3 seconds of hearing it in my chain I knew it was something special, and that I was keeping it. If anyone's reading this and on the fence, just bite and try it for yourself. I'm currently in the process of setting up FMC's and have a DDC, powered USB filter, and new cables on the way too, that and after burn-in, hopefully it'll only get better - but it's already so so good. I wouldn't have bit if it wasn't for this thread. Thanks for that all.
Anytime DG 👌😁

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #5,591 of 8,828
For relay clicks you need to install CT_221115 as per SuperSonico's post w/c link is found on page 1.

Edited

OK, so managed to install usb drivers in vmware, installed chx341ser_driver, then installed ct_221115
1) I don't know if this is significant, but the COM3 SERIAL-USB CH341 that I was supposed to see, instead shows COM3 SERIAL-USB CH340
2) Still get clicking sounds
3) I had set PCM NOS ON and DSD Direct ON - clicking noises when switching bitrates, from pcm to dsd etc..
If I set PCM NOS OFF and DSD direct OFF - seems there are no clicking noises when switching
4) After installing CT_221115, I lost the M2.1 display changes. If I reinstall the M2.1 , will that remove the ct_221115 clicking noise fix?

I'm using Audirvana to play my music without upsampling. Should I just upsample everything to DSD64 to avoid the clicking noises? That would solve the issue for everything other than switching between DSD64/128/256 etc
When I first got my R26 I seemed to have preferred pcm nos on and dsd direct on. But now the clicking sounds seem to be bothering me more.
what exactly do those settings do?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #5,592 of 8,828
Hey folks, here's an analog upgrade that won't cost an arm or a leg. I placed a 2.5 kg rubberised weightlifters plate on the R26 ( Darko inspired). Wow. Just wow. All of 10$. Next I'm going to try it on the clock, switch and server.

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #5,593 of 8,828
Hey folks, here's an analog upgrade that won't cost an arm or a leg. I placed a 2.5 kg rubberised weightlifters plate on the R26 ( Darko inspired). Wow. Just wow. All of 10$. Next I'm going to try it on the clock, switch and server.
You are preaching to the converted! I have a 3kg rubber dumbell on my R26.

Though I've experimented mainly with my amp so far which is on these AliX isolation footers with ceramic bearings which are supposed to work their best with 20kg + weight. In shot is 15kg of weights, and yes, you can hear the difference as each additional 5kg was added. More details here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/post-17466691

20230320_221142.jpg

I've taken them off now as my 18kg Denafrips Athena is sitting on top now temporarily doing the job of the weights...

20230411_130409.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #5,594 of 8,828
That's what's know as mass loading, energy loves mass and will move into it freely so the micro vibrations inherent in any piece of hi-fi equipment will be absorbed by the mass. Anyone remember pouring sand into tubular steel speaker supports....... whilst making the bass weightier it killed the pace of the sound (transient delivery) and made things sound dull.

The problem with this senario is that this treatment can change the balance of the sound making it more bass heavy. Once the energy is in the mass it can't be moved on and is part of the chain. This can be a revelation in some systems, as I'm sure you are hearing, but it will be at the expense of micro detail and more importantly timing, which is vital for a good system. Things can become ponderous and notes taking on too much weight. Try placing three cones made of something hard (brass/aluminium/steel etc) or even just pillars of said material to link the chassis with the surface the kit sits on and listen again. You are then giving the R26 a path for the mechanical energy to escape, the R26 does have two substantial transformers which need dealing with to allow energy to flow out. Most manufacturers place rubber or silicon pads on their feet because it's expected these just act as a barrier.

A even better solution, I have found having been at this for over 45 years, is using a proper mechanical filter linking the chassis of the R26 (or almost any piece of hi-fi kit for that matter) that will actively deal with any micro vibrations cleaning up the sound and stereo image improve timing and believability of the signal. By using a filter transients are kept intact. That's where Carbon Fibre Isolators or energy managers come in.......... they've only been around for over 30 years...... they have always worked.
Using them under turntables they help deal with airborne vibrations to the turntable chassis, under speakers they work for obvious reasons. Look up some reviews... back in the day!

Using 'energy management' as I like to call it can have more of a beneficial effect than cables......

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #5,595 of 8,828
That's what's know as mass loading, energy loves mass and will move into it freely so the micro vibrations inherent in any piece of hi-fi equipment will be absorbed by the mass. Anyone remember pouring sand into tubular steel speaker supports....... whilst making the bass weightier it killed the pace of the sound (transient delivery) and made things sound dull.

The problem with this senario is that this treatment can change the balance of the sound making it more bass heavy. Once the energy is in the mass it can't be moved on and is part of the chain. This can be a revelation in some systems, as I'm sure you are hearing, but it will be at the expense of micro detail and more importantly timing, which is vital for a good system. Things can become ponderous and notes taking on too much weight. Try placing three cones made of something hard (brass/aluminium/steel etc) or even just pillars of said material to link the chassis with the surface the kit sits on and listen again. You are then giving the R26 a path for the mechanical energy to escape, the R26 does have two substantial transformers which need dealing with to allow energy to flow out. Most manufacturers place rubber or silicon pads on their feet because it's expected these just act as a barrier.

A even better solution, I have found having been at this for over 45 years, is using a proper mechanical filter linking the chassis of the R26 (or almost any piece of hi-fi kit for that matter) that will actively deal with any micro vibrations cleaning up the sound and stereo image improve timing and believability of the signal. By using a filter transients are kept intact. That's where Carbon Fibre Isolators or energy managers come in.......... they've only been around for over 30 years...... they have always worked.
Using them under turntables they help deal with airborne vibrations to the turntable chassis, under speakers they work for obvious reasons. Look up some reviews... back in the day!

Using 'energy management' as I like to call it can have more of a beneficial effect than cables......

I agree.
Mass loading should be used carefully and as a tool for tuning the sound to one's tastes. For example, I found that mass loading the ock2 clock and tube amps was a no-no. Just deadened the sound. One kg weights on the server and hard drive enclosure ( 2x 18tb hdd) yielded best results. By far the R26 responded the most. I am currently experimenting with two plates of 2.5 and 1kgs on the R26. This may probably change in the future keeping in mind the subjective nature of this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back