GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 21, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #5,605 of 8,863
This past week I became interested more and more in HQPlayer and up-sampling/DSD. I don't think I ever realized how crazy different PCM and DSD sounded until I tried really maxing out both, PCM @ 768 / DSD @ 25.somethin. Is it everyone else with this DACs experience that PCM sounded flatter in this context, and a bit lifeless compared to the more analog sounding DSD? What settings do you guys usually use in HQPlayer? I felt like PCM was much more revealing, but that DSD just sounded so much more natural. Pretty fun experimenting last night with my first LAN setup and FMCs all at the same time and DSD, too.

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #5,606 of 8,863
This past week I became interested more and more in HQPlayer and up-sampling/DSD. I don't think I ever realized how crazy different PCM and DSD sounded until I tried really maxing out both, PCM @ 768 / DSD @ 25.somethin. Is it everyone else with this DACs experience that PCM sounded flatter in this context, and a bit lifeless compared to the more analog sounding DSD? What settings do you guys usually use in HQPlayer? I felt like PCM was much more revealing, but that DSD just sounded so much more natural. Pretty fun experimenting last night with my first LAN setup and FMCs all at the same time and DSD, too.
Upsampling is da thing, HQ-player doesn't do anything (for me at least)

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #5,607 of 8,863
I was upsampling pcm to 768 until last night.
Pianos have always sounded a bit blurred. So I played around with some filters and actually reduced the sample rate to 384k so a few would run more smoothly.
Wow blur was gone.
It occurred to me that my convolution filters were also at the 384k sample rate.
So I switch back to my tried and true filter setting and OMG!!!!
It’s unreal now!!

I think the upsampling to either such a high rate, the upsampling of my convolution filter, pushing the limits of the R26, or a combo of all three is what was causing the blur.

I’m loving poly-sinc-gauss-hires-Ip, LNS15, bit depth at 15.

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #5,608 of 8,863
I will add that I do not like the R26 DSD 1 bit DAC. Mine is super noisy. So either I got a dud or the R26 doesn’t like the floating balanced design of my Yamaha AS2200

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #5,609 of 8,863
I will add that I do not like the R26 DSD 1 bit DAC. Mine is super noisy. So either I got a dud or the R26 doesn’t like the floating balanced design of my Yamaha AS2200
Agreed! The R26 does PCM a hell of a lot better, than DSD. And I'm not saying it doesn't do DSD very well, it just do PCM files better than anything else 😊

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #5,610 of 8,863
If you like Hq player, you might also want to try PGGB-IT. Another excellent upsampling software.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back