GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 22, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #5,626 of 8,970
I’ll try those settings. I don’t remember or I missed the suggestion. Thank you for the reminder!!
… just a small correction, you have to uncheck ‘auto rate family’ because otherwise the source material of 44.1kHz (and it’s multiples) will still contain noise.

No problem, I mentioned it some time ago in:
Post in thread 'GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-17405546

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #5,628 of 8,970
Has anyone compared the sound on this to a Bifrost 2.64?
Yes, I had the 2/64 just before the R26. The Bifrost is a crazy good DAC for the money, and I thought the R26 had a similar overall sonic presentation, just a notch above across the board, a more refined version with more of a full sound, and of course the LAN input among others. Bifrost arguably has a better USB. I had the BF2 and upgraded the board to the 2/64, and was never completely satisfied with the timbre and the comparative thinness, having grown to love the BF2 and its heft. The R26 gave me both, and has scaled with everything I've thrown at it, which is a long list at this point.

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #5,629 of 8,970
  • The optical isolation is a standard option. (It was a paid option).
    • The motherboard seems to be built on the one of Lucia. (Lucia is a streamer that was developed by the company that developed Diretta). It has more settings to tune Diretta than the driver for Rpi.
    • - It has a 10 mHz input, which is not common on Rpi streamers that are Diretta capable with GentooPlayer, AudioLinux.
    • The device offers a simplicity for Windows users who are reluctant to enter a learning curve of Linux Distributions (GentooPlayer, AudioLinux). Nevertheless, on a Windows PC as a Diretta Host, even with Fidelizer Pro, the sound quality is not as good in comparison to a Linux based Diretta Host.
    • With its 10 mHz input option, the new Diretta capable Rosanna costs €1,100 + custom fees + a good external 5V LPS (anything between €200 for an Allo Shanti and €600 for a Farad).

All in all, Rosanna costs between one and a half and twice the price of the Holo Red. The Red combines a Rpi based streamer and a good DDC. To make the Holo Red Diretta capable, it’s necessary to buy a license of GentooPlayer (€69 for a lifetime), and a license for Diretta.
Belated thanks for this good info. Can this Rosanna bridge be used with a Linux Diretta host like you are running or does it have to have a Windows host?

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #5,632 of 8,970
Big thanks to the member who released the Tidal Connect -Roon bridge firmware.

It's working fantastic, unlike Roon which always skipped tracks.
Tried for many days to solve this issue and turned my entire network upside down. (65 permanently connected devices in the network)
Nothing worked. (it previously was working)

Having non-skipping tracks now is a big release and feels like a cool rain after a hot summer day.
Thanks!

Apr 24, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #5,634 of 8,970
5x20 mm 3,15 Ampere
(Slow blow)
Big thanks to the member who released the Tidal Connect -Roon bridge firmware.

It's working fantastic, unlike Roon which always skipped tracks.
Tried for many days to solve this issue and turned my entire network upside down. (65 permanently connected devices in the network)
Nothing worked. (it previously was working)

Having non-skipping tracks now is a big release and feels like a cool rain after a hot summer day.
Thanks!
The Roon bridge is disabled in that FW, or has someone released yet another FW now..?

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #5,636 of 8,970
(Slow blow)

The Roon bridge is disabled in that FW, or has someone released yet another FW now..?
In the Roon + Tidal version, the memory consumption reaches 95% when playing Tidal. It's true that everything works, but if someone has Roon, why do they need Tidal connect. So I disabled Roon support and the memory usage is around 60%. I wrote about it in earlier posts.
If you care about Tidal and Roon here's the link. This version is official firmware 1.4 + Tidal connect without the latest updates. I wrote about it HERE.

R26 Gustarender 1v4+Tidal unofficial fix (1.02GB)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zBC-GeOP-aTz45yibJHwwS1CDmlLlohI/view?usp=sharing

Apr 24, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #5,637 of 8,970
@wikaudio
Will link this as well on Page 1 so it will not be lost among the threads...:thumbsup:

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #5,639 of 8,970
Can anyone recommend a high quality all silver I2S cable for the R26 within a few hundred bucks?

HDMI I2S cables

I've been looking at this too recently, to step up from the modestly priced but quality Blue Jeans Cable/ Belden FE. There's the highly regarded pure silver Tubulus Argentus and Concentus of course which would be once-and-done, but more than I want to spend right now.

There's a few very good silver-coated options around in your sub $200 price range, but I haven't come across a pure silver one that is highly recommended. Here's a few contenders:
  • You'll come across the pure silver AVplay HD-300 which has some fans but the consensus from those who've tried both is the BJC FE comfortably beats it.
  • Not pure silver and just over USD200 but the Afterdark black magic silver-plated OFC is highly rated by a chap on the U18 thread as being a good step over the BJC FE
  • DH Labs Silver HDMI 2.0b silver-coated supposed 6N single crystal copper (i.e. ~OCC*) - USD70 (just found it, haven't read reviews)
  • Then there's this EUR65 Italian Ricable 'pure OCC copper'* HDMI I recently found which has a scattering of good press across the interweb, incl this enthusiastic youtuber FWIW, nothing on HF (insane shipping to my country alas)
I look forward to hearing how you get on - if you find a < USD200 cable that comfortably beats the BJC FE let us know!

*Incidentally I'd take most OCC copper/silver claims with a pinch of salt unless they're clearly using an OCC-licensed source of copper or silver like Neotech . Not to say they couldn't be using a similar if non-OCC-licenced method of drawing a continuous crystal of course, but if the price seems too good to be true it probably is.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #5,640 of 8,970
Yep Tubulus :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back