GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 19, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #5,566 of 8,833
  • (LHY is a) Subsidiary brand of Jay's Audio. Crafted and built at the same high quality for Audiophiles
  • Designed and hand-built by highly skilled electronics crews by LHY Audio
That makes it even more suspect honestly.
They can’t plug these into a spectrum analyzer and take a phase noise measurement? I literally just watch a 15 minute YouTube video on how to do this.
I for sure am not highly skilled at electronics but could now do this measurement in 2 minutes.

These measurements also come with the component data sheets from the component manufacturer. Yet LHY has conveniently stuck a big fat sticker over the part number. 🤔

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #5,567 of 8,833
My guess is the LHY 110dBc measurement was taken at 10hz. That would put the 1hz measurement waaay below 100.

The AfterDark prince is measured and tested 100dBc @1hz and $550.
At 10hz it has a measurement of -131dBc

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #5,568 of 8,833
Here is a link to the article.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ock-for-your-etherregen/?do=userPosts&mid=231

LHY based their published specifications on a third-party in China (the source for the OCXOs themselves), then said it would not be practicable for Vinshine or LHY to individually certify their clock boxes, given the low retail price of the units. 🙄
Measured performance of the LHY by Jon Swenson was -91dBc@1hz.

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #5,569 of 8,833
I have a fairly revealing 2 channel system and I don't listen with headphones. I also don't have all the associated equipment that is discussed here, like external clocks, FMC's, switches etc. but I just wanted to post an observation and would like to hear your thoughts.

Listening to Tidal HiFi with the R26 in LAN using Mconnect on my iPhone, the music sounded flat and terrible (with all the settings on the DAC as recommended here). With LAN on my Android Using Bubble UPNP it sounds a bit better, but the best sound (so far) is from my Lenovo laptop via USB to the R26. Much cleaner, sharper and full sounding. This is really confusing to me because I was under the impression both computers and USB are the less desirable ways to stream music.

Will external clocks, FMC's, switches etc. improve the sound if I go back to UPNP and LAN?
I don't really have a lot of funds leftover at this point to get myself caught up on the rabbit hole thing...UGH!

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #5,573 of 8,833
A shame manufacturers use bnc over f.ex. sma coaxial, which is a lot better in terms of frequency
I've wondered the same thing, I guess BNC just became an industry standard perhaps because of pro-audio use where it's much easier to connect/disconnect a BNC than a screw on style connector like an SMA. I see in the scientific testing world SMA connectors are more commonly used. Presumably the much tighter connection provides better continuity of shielding across the plug/socket junction and potentially reduces the likelihood of impedance mismatches too. Which may explain, why, after postulating the above last month I found that closely taping with conductive copper tape around the BNC junction at both ends of my already excellent HT DC III clock cable (i.e. R26 & OCK-2 ends) made a clearly audible difference. It was as if I'd used an even better clock cable - slightly better definition, palpability of notes etc. I use sine so any impedance effect of the tape - potentially adverse if the tape lowered the characteristic impedance so created a mismatch/reflection point - is immaterial with the audible effect presumably mainly due related to the better shielding. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone else try this but from my experience - to paraphrase Ferris - if you have the means, I highly recommend trying it.

Sorry going well into the OT weeds here - apologies to new owners of the R26 reading this thinking what the!?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #5,574 of 8,833
I use sine so any impedance effect of the tape - potentially adverse if the tape lowered the characteristic impedance so created a mismatch/reflection point - is immaterial with the audible effect presumably mainly due related to the better shielding.
No, it won't change characteristic impedance, but can affect ground distribution of a current flowing in/out of the connector. Good observation, I never tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back