GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 17, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #5,521 of 8,847
If you use the network player of R26, it means that U18 and OCK2 are doing nothing in your chain now. Is it right? Can you give more details on this in terms of SQ?

Correct that the U18 is totally bypassed when the LAN input on the R26 is selected. However if an external clock is connected to both the U18 and R26 (or at least the R26) with ext clock selected in the R26 you'd still get the full benefit of it, at least as much as via I2S from the U18. Probably more as it seems likely both the R26's DAC and renderer/streamer sections benefit from the external clock. For full U18 chain clocking equivalency whatever streamer you're feeding the U18 with would need to be externally clocked too.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #5,522 of 8,847
@camrector Thanks for reminding me of this DAC.

I have since I bought my system missed a streamer where I can just shut off the pc and listen to music(Tidal, and DLNA)...My brain has gone in circles: ZEN STREAM & NEO STREAM, and other streamer. The thing R26 attracts me is the clock input.

My system.

DDC: DI20HE
DAC: R8HEMK2(i2s/DI20HE) and Chord TT2(spdif/di20he)
AMP: HE-9 LE(ACSS input from R8HEMK2)

Right now my gaming rig is output from JCAT USB XE to the USB input of DI20HE.

Input on DI20HE not used: SPDIF
Output on DI20HE not used: AES
Outputs on OCK-2 not used: 1 Square, 3 Sine

How would I add this to my system?
I would keep it separate. LAN from FMCs into R26 LAN input. Then Balanced xlr into HE-9.

Apr 17, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #5,523 of 8,847
I would keep it separate. LAN from FMCs into R26 LAN input. Then Balanced xlr into HE-9.
I gave up when I heard it could not run with clock and ethernet.

Ethernet and clock is my next step. If this can not do it....

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #5,524 of 8,847
I gave up when I heard it could not run with clock and ethernet.

Ethernet and clock is my next step. If this can not do it....
+1 re Cam's R26 LAN input selection +FMCs as keeping things simple and sounding very good. Running multiple DACs in parallel certainly ties up your DDC and JCat card ports. Is your gaming rig separate to your music server or on the same PC?

See my post just above re external clocking of the R26.

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #5,525 of 8,847
Correct that the U18 is totally bypassed when the LAN input on the R26 is selected. However if an external clock is connected to both the U18 and R26 (or at least the R26) with ext clock selected in the R26 you'd still get the full benefit of it, at least as much as via I2S from the U18. Probably more as it seems likely both the R26's DAC and renderer/streamer sections benefit from the external clock. For full U18 chain clocking equivalency whatever streamer you're feeding the U18 with would need to be externally clocked too.
This ?

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #5,530 of 8,847
Which clock would you recommend Cam? Have you heard/tried different ones?
OCK-1 is a bargain and a very good clock, does a great job on sine output with a really good cable. OCK-2 is a better performer but how much real world difference you'll hear I don't know, and it's a lot more $$. I have an OCK-1 with this cable rec'd to me by Jake, it's fantastic: https://www.audioaccessoryhk.com/product/harmonic-technology-dc-iii50-ohm-single-crystal-copper-成品線-bnc/
Don't buy the Beatechnik cable. If you want to go cheap and still supposedly almost as good as it gets, get the LMR400. Others have been happy with the Gustard cable if you can get one, but for pretty much the same money the Harmonic Tech cable is gorgeous and totally top end.
If you have the resources, I'd just grab the OCK-2 and be done with it. If you want to spend even more, look at the After Dark clocks.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #5,531 of 8,847
Or the Cybershaft ones...

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #5,532 of 8,847
OCK-1 is a bargain and a very good clock, does a great job on sine output with a really good cable. OCK-2 is a better performer but how much real world difference you'll hear I don't know, and it's a lot more $$. I have an OCK-1 with this cable rec'd to me by Jake, it's fantastic: https://www.audioaccessoryhk.com/product/harmonic-technology-dc-iii50-ohm-single-crystal-copper-成品線-bnc/
Don't buy the Beatechnik cable. If you want to go cheap and still supposedly almost as good as it gets, get the LMR400. Others have been happy with the Gustard cable if you can get one, but for pretty much the same money the Harmonic Tech cable is gorgeous and totally top end.
If you have the resources, I'd just grab the OCK-2 and be done with it. If you want to spend even more, look at the After Dark clocks.

Awesome to hear the Harmonic Tech cable worked so well for you! Quite remarkable eh how much difference the clock cable makes even with a more modestly priced clock like the OCK-1.

In terms of LHY OCK-1 vs OCK-2, I got the OCK-1 back in Sep and it gave a really satisfying lift in the R26’s sound, better dynamics, a calmer sound and expanded soundstage depth. For me the OCK-2, which I got after having the OCK-1 for 6 months when temptation/curiousity got the better of me, takes the resolution, refinement and dynamics up a couple of notches.

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #5,533 of 8,847
Awesome to hear the Harmonic Tech cable worked so well for you! Quite remarkable eh how much difference the clock cable makes even with a more modestly priced clock like the OCK-1.

In terms of LHY OCK-1 vs OCK-2, I got the OCK-1 back in Sep and it gave a really satisfying lift in the R26’s sound, better dynamics, a calmer sound and expanded soundstage depth. For me the OCK-2, which I got after having the OCK-1 for 6 months when temptation/curiousity got the better of me, takes the resolution, refinement and dynamics up a couple of notches.
Do they not include a cable at all, with these clocks?

I've read a lot of very positive feedback from people who has bought Furutech cables also.. Have you guys any experience with those? :)

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #5,534 of 8,847
If it ain't broke.... fair enough. That was my thinking too for a while, but the proffered fix of loud popping on DSD tracks was enough of a motivator to upgrade the Gustarender firmware to v1.4 from the v1.3 my Sep model came with. Larger display text sounds good so really ought to upgrade the main firmware too.

In terms of downsides in taking your time to upgrade (if ever)... if you don't have any issues that the fixes or improvements address, then don't think there's any. No rush.
I haven't upgraded the firmware of R26 so far. And the loud popping on Dsd tracks makes me unhappy. Can you share v1.4 firmware and the related instruction to upgrade? Thank you.

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #5,535 of 8,847
Page 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back