GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 24, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #5,191 of 8,843
Quick question, I know this was covered some time ago, but I can't find the posts.
Is the attenuation digital, ie do we lose bits as we drop the output volume? I'm getting a Liquid Platinum HP amp soon and it's a very hot amp with no gain adjustment, and I'd like more volume control.

The +/- 1db volume control is digital and so audibly drops bits and dynamic range. Definitely had better results setting to max and using my preamp analogue vol control or HQP's lossless vol control with its bits to spare.

The one step -32db attenuation in settings is analogue.

Mar 24, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #5,192 of 8,843
Have anyone here tried to use and compare the SQ of R26 with and without pre-amp function? I'm going to buy the Gustard full balance preamp P26. So I'm quite curious whether the SQ of P26 is better the integrated preamp function of R26 or not.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #5,193 of 8,843
@DeckHiFi :
I don't use UPNP but HQPlayer and therefore NAA, but I did some tests on the subject for the A26 thread.

The streamer uses several protocols, NAA (HQPlayer), RAAT (Roon) and UPNP (upmpdcli). When you change protocols, you have to "free" the Gustard. If I am connected via HQPlayer, I cannot use UPNP. I have to stop the HQPlayer stream. And as there is no interface or management via SSH, when using one protocol, you can't stop the other services. But it works pretty well when you do things in order.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gustard-dac-a26-ak4499ex-dac-impressions-thread.966041/post-17428491

The direct LAN has a higher SQ than my ZenStream (optimized) + excellent USB cable. I don't used any switch betweeen my Roon/HQP server (only one ethernet cable + iFi silencer)

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #5,195 of 8,843
Roon via LAN on my R26 just stopped working which is very weird. Could it be the cable that failed? I use a longer run cable so I wont be able to test a new cable until it arrives today.
Yeah if you go back the last few pages or so I had the exact same issue. No problem with my cable, restarting my computer didn't work. Nothing that I tried worked until...steps I took to fix it:

1) I reinstalled Gustarender on first page.
2) After I completed the full installation process - I plugged in my ethernet cable to DAC/Mesh Unit and set my DAC to Lan.
3) I restarted the computer (still didn't read Gustarender on Roon until I did this step!)
4) While restarting computer - Gustarender popped up on my mesh unit notification.

Conclusion: Now it works perfectly again. I am doing an address reservation for Gustarender on my router/mesh unit so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #5,196 of 8,843
The +/- 1db volume control is digital and so audibly drops bits and dynamic range. Definitely had better results setting to max and using my preamp analogue vol control or HQP's lossless vol control with its bits to spare.

The one step -32db attenuation in settings is analogue.
Thanks Jake. I assumed the VC attenuation was digital, but had forgotten about the attenuation setting. Really didn't want to add a passive pre and another set of XLRs just for this.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #5,198 of 8,843
Yeah if you go back the last few pages or so I had the exact same issue. No problem with my cable, restarting my computer didn't work. Nothing that I tried worked until...steps I took to fix it:

1) I reinstalled Gustarender on first page.
2) After I completed the full installation process - I plugged in my ethernet cable to DAC/Mesh Unit and set my DAC to Lan.
3) I restarted the computer (still didn't read Gustarender on Roon until I did this step!)
4) While restarting computer - Gustarender popped up on my mesh unit notification.

Conclusion: Now it works perfectly again. I am doing an address reservation for Gustarender on my router/mesh unit so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
This worked! Thanks so much! Any idea why we would have reflash the firmware to get it to work again?

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #5,199 of 8,843
If that's the solution, be glad it's not the hardware.🫣🫣🫣
I think it's a small programme that tends to hang up.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the reasons are.
It could be the relay that didn't know which position it was in.
You always hear a click when you switch.

When I put the new firmware on it, I also reloaded the gustardrender.

Try to shut down the R26 normally when you are done listening.
Switch it off with the remote control and switch it off at the back.

@BShaw if it is true that you lose bits with the internal gain then the Roon story would be the most effective way to get the DB down a bit there without needing a preamp.
I've done it myself and didn't notice the SQ getting worse, I had to go higher with the pot to the sweet spot.
It's definitely worth a try before looking for a preamp.

Mar 24, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #5,200 of 8,843
This worked! Thanks so much! Any idea why we would have reflash the firmware to get it to work again?
No idea. Not an expert when it comes to that stuff. I'm hoping it's just a weird issue that can happen with devices being read by network. I'm hoping address reserveration/static IP for the Gustarender solves it.

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #5,201 of 8,843
Sorry if it has been asked before, but I just ordered my R26 and am wondering if adding a Gustard U18 and upgraded fuses would be worthwhile? The U18 is only ~$400, so it's not overly expensive. I've also seen the C18 being mentioned. Has anyone added either the U18 or C18 to their R26 and seen a positive impact on performance? Thanks! :)

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #5,203 of 8,843
Mar 24, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #5,204 of 8,843
Sorry if it has been asked before, but I just ordered my R26 and am wondering if adding a Gustard U18 and upgraded fuses would be worthwhile? The U18 is only ~$400, so it's not overly expensive. I've also seen the C18 being mentioned. Has anyone added either the U18 or C18 to their R26 and seen a positive impact on performance? Thanks! :)
I changed both of my fuses (R26, and U18) to the Gustard upgraded fuse, however I didn't do A/B to the stock fuse, so I couldn't tell you. From what everyone who did say something about it, they say it's better. Better dynamics, sonics, ETC. However some say nothing will beat having the Purple fuse if you're looking for a dramatic change. I may get the Purple fuse one day but I am happy with the Gustard fuses I currently have, plus it was cheap vs the Purple fuses.

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #5,205 of 8,843
I changed both of my fuses (R26, and U18) to the Gustard upgraded fuse, however I didn't do A/B to the stock fuse, so I couldn't tell you. From what everyone who did say something about it, they say it's better. Better dynamics, sonics, ETC. However some say nothing will beat having the Purple fuse if you're looking for a dramatic change. I may get the Purple fuse one day but I am happy with the Gustard fuses I currently have, plus it was cheap vs the Purple fuses.
Did you notice a worthwhile improvement by adding a U18 to your R26? Trying to decide if I should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back