GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 22, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #5,164 of 8,912
Haha, i'm still waiting to see what "screensaver" mode does
It just dims the screen very low soon after you do any inputting, like before, I think it used to be called auto brightness. The thing I can't figure out is why I can't get the ring light on the standby button to go off, even though there's supposedly a setting for it.

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #5,165 of 8,912
It just dims the screen very low soon after you do any inputting, like before, I think it used to be called auto brightness. The thing I can't figure out is why I can't get the ring light on the standby button to go off, even though there's supposedly a setting for it.
It will only go off after turning off the unit - the light stays on while in operating mode even though display turns off

Mar 22, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #5,166 of 8,912
Understandable sentiment re not feeling like one needs to spend more after spending ~USD1.5k on a DAC. There's no question from my and others' experience the R26 and the other *26 Gustard DACs benefit from quality external clocking.

But I definitely wouldn't say the R26 as needs an external clock to sound great. After all the well known very positive reviews by SoundNews and iiWi Reviews were sans-clock. So you're getting the performance they describe in their reviews which they favour over all comparatively priced DACs they've tried and a number of more expensive ones.

Rather I'd think of the external clock option - which is really well implemented via the K2 clock synthesiser which takes the 10mhz external signal and generates from this the 44.1khz and 48khz multiples of 22-25Mhz the DAC needs whilst minimising jitter - as a high value feature, a great optional upgrade path.

All that said, would I recommend an external clock with the R26? Hell yeah!

I've had the LHY OCK-1 since Sep and the OCK-2 for just a few days. They both - at least in my speaker system with a good clock cable - elevate the sound to another level. Soundstage, in particular depth, improves along with a longer and more resolved acoustic decay, not to mention more palpability and texture to notes. Overall a more engaging, nuanced, dynamic and expansive sound whilst retaining the character of the R26's sound. What you can hear through that Youtube vid is just a taste of what it is like in person, at least in my speaker setup. Assume same holds true for a good headphones setup.

There are actually a couple of guys on other threads using Gustard *26 DACs with USD4-5k clocks in expensive systems - they feel the K2-based Gustard DACs scale that well with super precise (and expensive!) clocking and are very satisfied with the result. That's too rich for my blood, but just saying FWIW.

I feed the R26 in PCM NOS or DSD Direct PCM768 and DSD512 from HQP/Roon on a Mac Mini M1 - the effect of using an external clock with them is additive. Indeed I've read before that precise clocking is more important the higher the resolution signal a DAC is being asked to process. That makes intuitive sense to me.
Great info! Let's say I did want to get the OCK-2 someday...what would I also need to buy in order to connect it to the Gustard R26? I currently use the lan port on the Gustard.

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #5,168 of 8,912
You will need a BNC cable that is rated for 50ohms.

Tbh @DeckHiFi as you're using the R26 LAN input, in terms of bang for buck improvements I'd probably start with inserting a network switch and/or Fibre Media Convertor. Cheaper than a clock but pretty much a guaranteed good improvement which will be additive to any later upgrades like clocks or power tweaks (cables, conditioners, better grounding).

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #5,169 of 8,912
Tbh @DeckHiFi as you're using the R26 LAN input, in terms of bang for buck improvements I'd probably start with inserting a network switch and/or Fibre Media Convertor. Cheaper than a clock but pretty much a guaranteed good improvement which will be additive to any later upgrades like clocks or power tweaks (cables, conditioners, better grounding).
Thanks. I definitely need to consider that as well. Random point, I just tried NOS again tonight for first time in awhile with no upsampling with hqplayer. It's amazing how enjoyable this DAC is with bit perfect NOS. There is a presence to the music that is different than upsampling. Both great (finding right filter) or plain old NOS, but I'm not convinced NOS plain isn't still the most powerful.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #5,170 of 8,912
Network switch, FMC, clock… LHY SW-10 is all that in one. Clock is same or better as OCK-2, it is said. Downside — not exactly cheap.

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #5,171 of 8,912
Hello,

I have a silly question for you.
I have the Singxer Su 2 connected via i2S to the R26 with the settings Singxer specifies in the manual.

How can I test how the R26 sounds when I change the clock of the R26 to external with the use of the Su 2?

Do I have to change switch 5 on the Su 2 or just change the R26 to external?
Will it work with I2S or only Bnc cable?

Mar 23, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #5,172 of 8,912
Network switch, FMC, clock… LHY SW-10 is all that in one. Clock is same or better as OCK-2, it is said. Downside — not exactly cheap.
Network Switch, FMC, Clock (same as OCK-2) + LPS. In wait mode for the EtherRegen2 to come out and decide (leaning on SW-10).
BUT if finances are tight will be contended for Sonore's OpticalModule Deluxe II. Will buy 2.

Mar 23, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #5,173 of 8,912
I'd also say that using a wifi extender to separate the router from the R26 and switch has a very positive effect to the sound, along with the above suggestions.

Mar 23, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #5,174 of 8,912
Network Switch, FMC, Clock (same as OCK-2) + LPS. In wait mode for the EtherRegen2 to come out and decide (leaning on SW-SW-10.
According to Alvin's correspondence with another member, LHY's engineers advised him the SW-10's OCXO is better than that in the OCK-2.

Mar 23, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #5,175 of 8,912
I'd also say that using a wifi extender to separate the router from the R26 and switch has a very positive effect to the sound, along with the above suggestions.
Yea I was previously using my WiFI Mesh Unit so same concept. It's great. Issue is, for some reason in the last day Roon stopped reading the Gustard R26 via Lan. Anyone know by any chance what could be wrong? Roon is reading it fine through USB, but LAN it's not showing up anymore. I have made sure I'm on LAN on the Gustard when I'm checking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back